Florida bill bans girls from talking about menstruation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:59:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Florida bill bans girls from talking about menstruation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Florida bill bans girls from talking about menstruation  (Read 863 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2023, 06:49:02 AM »
« edited: March 22, 2023, 01:27:03 PM by Landslide Lyndon »

This is "Handmaiden's Tale" level insanity.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/03/19/florida-republican-bill-girls-periods-school/11504099002/

As local bills on gender, sexuality and diversity make their way through Florida’s state legislature, new legislation could ban any discussion of menstrual cycles in school before the sixth grade.

That breaks from the advice of medical providers who recommend talking to children about puberty and changes in their bodies before they occur.

First periods typically start between ages 10 and 15 but can begin as young as 9 years old. That means a student could likely be in third grade up to tenth grade, or later when a period begins.

During a subcommittee hearing in the Florida House on Wednesday, Republican state Rep. Stan McClain said his bill would include restrictions on girls talking about their menstrual cycles. The legislation doesn't specifically mention periods or menstruation but McClain told a subcommittee hearing that it would include restrictions on conversations about girls' menstrual cycles.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 09:42:05 AM »

The GOP yet again working overtime to fix America's actual problems.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 10:04:01 AM »

Honestly Florida really is the ultimate MAGA state because it uses bunch red/white/blue, bald eagles iconography along with some Covid and anti-gun control stances to push this idea they are a bunch of live free or die freedom lovers but in actuality are incredibly authoritarian and abusive to marginalized communities
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 10:08:58 AM »

This bill will go nowhere, who cares?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:16:54 AM »

Did you actually read the article. This one is getting a hearing at least. The bill is about allowing “instruction in acquired immune deficiency syndrome, sexually transmitted diseases, or health education” only in grades six through 12.

The man who wrote it said that would include period discussion. A fix to the bill might be proposed, but you'd be surprised by how weird old conservative men often are about menstruation.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »

I think I already created a thread on this, but yeah horrific.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 11:52:38 AM »

Did you actually read the article. This one is getting a hearing at least. The bill is about allowing “instruction in acquired immune deficiency syndrome, sexually transmitted diseases, or health education” only in grades six through 12.

The man who wrote it said that would include period discussion. A fix to the bill might be proposed, but you'd be surprised by how weird old conservative men often are about menstruation.

Does it actually ban girls about talking about menstruation, or does it ban classroom teaching on it? Because one of those is much worse than the other.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 12:06:55 PM »

Does it actually ban girls about talking about menstruation, or does it ban classroom teaching on it? Because one of those is much worse than the other.

Why are either of these acceptable? Menstruation is a normal bodily function. Do you really want to ban a teacher from explaining this stuff to kids, especially since sometimes kids will be experiencing for the first time in the classroom?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 12:15:10 PM »

Why are either of these acceptable? Menstruation is a normal bodily function. Do you really want to ban a teacher from explaining this stuff to kids, especially since sometimes kids will be experiencing for the first time in the classroom?

Menstruation is a bodily function inherently related to reproduction, and therefore can only be understood with the broader concept of sex. I also oppose teachers explaining ejaculation to an elementary school class, and I don’t think it’s that big of deal if teachers can’t do these things.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 01:17:04 PM »

Back in 1961 when I was eleven and in 5th grade I started my period. I knew nothing about what was happening to me. I thought I was dying. Finally my mother told me what it was and what to do. It was the next year when I was in 6th grade that our class had sex education. I was clueless. Kids today aren't clueless. Trying to suppress talking about something that happens to every female is just plain ignorant. And it makes my blood boil.

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 01:51:51 PM »

Menstruation is a bodily function inherently related to reproduction, and therefore can only be understood with the broader concept of sex. I also oppose teachers explaining ejaculation to an elementary school class, and I don’t think it’s that big of deal if teachers can’t do these things.

A. You don't have to talk about the birds and the bees to explain menstruation to kids. B. Menstruation is something that happens every month to most women. It's kinda important that kids know that they will start bleed out of their vaginas every month(roughly), both so they don't freak out and think they're dying and so they're able to reduce the mess the blood will make. Men like you treating menstruation like a gross shameful sex thing is as damaging as it is stupid. C. Explaining the birds and the bees in mid to late elementary school isn't as damaging as adults with weird sex hangups think it is. I learned how babies were made in third grade at school, and it didn't scar me.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 02:55:17 PM »

Legislators who draft such legislation definitely have too much time.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 02:57:43 PM »

Loophole: Trans boys can still talk about their periods.

Bills like this aren't a laughing matter, of course. Florida is.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 03:35:31 PM »

A small price to pay to stop woke.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 04:29:52 PM »

Don't give me that excuse. You know darn well it's only going nowhere because it would create negative headlines
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 05:09:49 PM »

Are you serious?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 05:19:58 PM »

No, I'm mocking Republicans.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 05:50:13 PM »

Red Tide Ron really doesn't want us talking about any type of red tide, eh?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 08:37:45 PM »

Some girls start menstruating at the age of 8.  Girls that age should at the very least know what the hell to expect when they randomly start bleeding from their vagina one day and have no idea why.  It doesn't have to be simultaneously coupled with instructions on how to have sex.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 08:46:33 PM »

A. You don't have to talk about the birds and the bees to explain menstruation to kids.

The fact that adult conservative(s) in this thread either don't know this or pretend not to know this says a lot about 2023 USA political discourse.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »

I wonder if this nonsense would actually hold up in court.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2023, 09:18:24 PM »

I doubt it. "Woke" is manufactured thing, a hot button in society right now. I doubt it would hold up in a court of law. If it did it would make a mockery of our laws.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2023, 09:19:24 PM »

I doubt it. "Woke" is manufactured thing, a hot button in society right now. I doubt it would hold up in a court of law. If it did it would make a mockery of our laws.
What would the most likely grounds under which it would be rendered inoperative?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2023, 09:24:35 PM »

What would the most likely grounds under which it would be rendered inoperative?

I don't know. What do you think?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2023, 09:27:31 PM »

I don't know. What do you think?
There are people who would be better qualified to answer this.
I've PMed Nathan to answer this one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies