How should the rent be split?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  How should the rent be split?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: 3 people are living in a 2 bedroom apartment. The rent is $1000 a month. Bedroom 1 is occupied by one person. Bedroom 2 is occupied by the other two people, a boyfriend and girlfriend. How should they split the rent?
$500 / $250 / $250

$333 / $333 / $333

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: How should the rent be split?  (Read 789 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2023, 07:07:36 PM »

I did this poll on my Instagram story, and it was perfectly divided at 50% each. Curious what you all think.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:14:40 PM »

I did this poll on my Instagram story, and it was perfectly divided at 50% each. Curious what you all think.

Rent 500,250,250
Utilities total/3
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 08:16:48 PM »

Rent 500,250,250
Utilities total/3
Wow. Cost of living in SF and NYC must have gotten quite high.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:12:43 PM »

500/250/250

Utilities/3

In my opinion you should pay by bedroom. The boyfriend and girlfriend are using one of the bedrooms and the 3rd wheel is using the other
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 09:49:50 PM »

There’s a middle ground here. The bedroom with only one tenant can be considered more valuable than the other, but the couple presumably makes twice the use of the common spaces as the single does. I would say something like 400/300/300 for the rent, and split the utilities equally among all three.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 09:58:57 PM »

There’s a middle ground here. The bedroom with only one tenant can be considered more valuable than the other, but the couple presumably makes twice the use of the common spaces as the single does. I would say something like 400/300/300 for the rent, and split the utilities equally among all three.
Yeah I thought this was an obvious solution.

Also where do you find two-bedroom apartments for $1000/month?
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 10:32:24 PM »

Yeah, neither of these things. You also need to consider the use of the common areas.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 11:06:17 PM »

You don’t Tongue I just chose a round number for simplicity sake
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 11:08:20 PM »

$380 / $310 / $310
or
$400 / $300 / $300 would also be fine

split the utilities evenly 3 ways
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 12:18:47 AM »

are the bedrooms the same size?  Whose name is on the lease?  Are the chores perfectly split?  How are utilities paid?  There are a lot of factors at play here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 06:03:39 AM »

If these two are the only options, and we can assume one or more utilities rolled-in, I would lean towards the even $333 split owing to the aforementioned common areas and other intangibles (like the value of being in X neighborhood with Y amenities and so on). But I'm also biased in favor of third wheels.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 06:10:07 AM »

°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 04:56:18 AM »

are the bedrooms the same size?  Whose name is on the lease?  Are the chores perfectly split?  How are utilities paid?  There are a lot of factors at play here.
Does the single person have to share a bathroom with two other persons? That does not sound good for the single roommate.

This reminders me of the TV show Three's Company.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2023, 05:18:25 AM »

Does the single person have to share a bathroom with two other persons? That does not sound good for the single roommate.

I don't know where you're getting that, the OP stipulated two bedrooms (one for the couple and one for the single).  There were two bedrooms on Three's Company too.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2023, 05:33:49 AM »

I don't know where you're getting that, the OP stipulated two bedrooms (one for the couple and one for the single).  There were two bedrooms on Three's Company too.
Some two bedrooms apts have only one bathroom, others have two. Iirc 3's Company had one bathroom.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2023, 06:01:42 AM »

Some two bedrooms apts have only one bathroom, others have two. Iirc 3's Company had one bathroom.

oh sh**t, you did say bathroom, my mistake.  Yes, you are correct on both (all three?) points, the single person would have to share the bathroom with the couple, that would suck and there was only one bathroom on Three's Company.

The home I spent the first 10 years of my life had 2 large bedrooms upstairs and 1 bathroom on the main floor.  My little kid ass had one of the bedrooms, my two slightly older sisters shared the other and my parent slept in what would have been a "sitting room", the only bathroom was right off their room.  So whenever we needed to pee in the middle of the night or guests needed to use the toilet, they had to walk through my parents bedroom.

Old houses were designed poorly.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2023, 07:46:05 AM »

oh sh**t, you did say bathroom, my mistake.  Yes, you are correct on both (all three?) points, the single person would have to share the bathroom with the couple, that would suck and there was only one bathroom on Three's Company.

The home I spent the first 10 years of my life had 2 large bedrooms upstairs and 1 bathroom on the main floor.  My little kid ass had one of the bedrooms, my two slightly older sisters shared the other and my parent slept in what would have been a "sitting room", the only bathroom was right off their room.  So whenever we needed to pee in the middle of the night or guests needed to use the toilet, they had to walk through my parents bedroom.

Old houses were designed poorly.
It is not a big deal that you misread my post, because I do that all the time, although I should be more careful.

As for the poll question, generally there is no reason that the third person should pay more than 1/3, unless that person has a bathroom in their room and the other room doesn't (the second bathroom would be separate, and I lived in such an apartment.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2023, 08:54:31 AM »

Where was this when I needed it last semester?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2023, 11:20:19 AM »

You don’t Tongue I just chose a round number for simplicity sake

I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment for $750 a month when I first graduated college and was living with my then-fiancee. Then she moved out and the rent got raised to $995 which I could not afford by myself.

So if you'd like a 2 bedroom for about $1000 a month, there's one waiting for you in Lancaster County!
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2023, 12:32:23 PM »

I kind of like the idea of a 40/30/30 split, with utilities split 3 ways. They should get a discount for sharing a bedroom, but you cannot look past the fact that all common areas are shared by 3.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies