Ja’Mal Green: "When the hell did progressives start liking Jesse Jackson all of a sudden?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:10:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ja’Mal Green: "When the hell did progressives start liking Jesse Jackson all of a sudden?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ja’Mal Green: "When the hell did progressives start liking Jesse Jackson all of a sudden?"  (Read 697 times)
Zedonathin2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 20, 2023, 06:32:21 PM »

Like has this guy ever opened a history book? Or even done a simple scroll through Wikipedia? Jackson has been advocating for Progressive policies before he was even ALIVE.

Also extra points off for spelling Jim Clyburn’s name like that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 06:33:37 PM »

I don't understand what's going on here but I'm not really sure that it needed a thread
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 06:37:36 PM »

I don't understand what's going on here but I'm not really sure that it needed a thread
A guy who received 12,239 votes in the first round for the Chicago mayoral election made an ignorant tweet. No, it did not need a thread.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 06:41:51 PM »

Ja'Mal Green is a future congressman down the line so he is no joke.

Jesse Jackson has always been a progressive, he was the leftwing candidate in 1984 and 1988.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 07:38:40 PM »

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 08:27:06 PM »

If anything, Jesse Jackson's a turncoat sellout two decades before.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 09:17:32 PM »

He's implying that progressives didn't like Jesse Jackson before because he is black which is a rather idiotic take.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 09:25:26 PM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 10:44:54 PM »

Jesse Jackson was an actual witness to MLK's assassination, he was also the progressive standard bearer for Democrats in the 1980s.

If he doesn't have progressive cred anymore, I don't know who does.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 10:57:01 PM »

Jesse Jackson was an actual witness to MLK's assassination, he was also the progressive standard bearer for Democrats in the 1980s.

The entire culture has shifted left over the last 3 to 3.5 decades. "Progressive" in the 1980s does not translate into "progressive" in 2023, unless the individual has continued to move left at the same pace as the culture overall has.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 11:24:04 PM »

The entire culture has shifted left over the last 3 to 3.5 decades. "Progressive" in the 1980s does not translate into "progressive" in 2023, unless the individual has continued to move left at the same pace as the culture overall has.

So just to be clear, you are arguing that Jesse Jackson is not still a progressive?

Because unless you are making that argument, I don't see the relevance to this post.

Also, the guy in the OP also seems to be implying even Bernie Sanders is not a real progressive. You agree with that too?

Anyway, I think this raises a larger point: Many so-called "progressives" do not even understand let alone appreciate their history enough and do not have enough respect for the figures who led the charge at the most critical points. There is this idea that newer is always better by default, which is a complete fallacy. Yes, progress is generally good, but so is listening to the perspectives of people who have been there, done that, and who can help guide and shape your progress to be better-aimed and more effective based on experience. Speeding by them and leaving them in the dust is idiotic at best in most cases.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 11:28:12 PM »

So just to be clear, you are arguing that Jesse Jackson is not still a progressive?

Because unless you are making that argument, I don't see the relevance to this post.

I haven't followed Jesse Jackson at all in many years, but the impression I've gotten by what people have said - and NOT said - about him recently is that he isn't as progressive as others would like him to be, except for certain issues. I will 100% concede that my impression may be inaccurate. I just haven't paid attention.

My argument is simply that "being progressive in the 1980s does not AUTOMATICALLY make you a progressive in 2023. the cultured moved left, but did you move left along with it? maybe maybe not".
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 12:05:13 AM »

Also, the guy in the OP also seems to be implying even Bernie Sanders is not a real progressive. You agree with that too?

Anyway, I think this raises a larger point: Many so-called "progressives" do not even understand let alone appreciate their history enough and do not have enough respect for the figures who led the charge at the most critical points. There is this idea that newer is always better by default, which is a complete fallacy. Yes, progress is generally good, but so is listening to the perspectives of people who have been there, done that, and who can help guide and shape your progress to be better-aimed and more effective based on experience. Speeding by them and leaving them in the dust is idiotic at best in most cases.

Of course Jesse Jackson is a progressive.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 12:18:11 AM »

I forgot about that, so I’m 2 degrees of separation from MLK.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 04:11:19 AM »

Jesse Jackson's platform, from Wikipedia:

In both races, Jackson ran on what many considered to be a very liberal platform. Declaring that he wanted to create a "Rainbow Coalition" of various minority groups, including African Americans, Hispanics, Middle Eastern Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans, family farmers, the poor and working class, and LGBT people, as well as white progressives, Jackson ran on a platform that included:
•   creating a Works Progress Administration-style program to rebuild America's infrastructure and provide jobs to all Americans,
•   reprioritizing the War on Drugs to focus less on mandatory minimum sentences for drug users (which he views as racially biased) and more on harsher punishments for money-laundering bankers and others who are part of the "supply" end of "supply and demand"
•   reversing Reaganomics-inspired tax cuts for the richest ten percent of Americans and using the money to finance social welfare programs
•   cutting the budget of the Department of Defense by as much as fifteen percent over the course of his administration
•   declaring Apartheid-era South Africa to be a rogue nation
•   instituting an immediate nuclear freeze and beginning disarmament negotiations with the Soviet Union
•   giving reparations to descendants of black slaves
•   supporting family farmers by reviving many of Roosevelt's New Deal–era farm programs
•   creating a single-payer system of universal health care
•   ratifying the Equal Rights Amendment
•   increasing federal funding for lower-level public education and providing free community college to all
•   applying stricter enforcement of the Voting Rights Act and
•   supporting the formation of a Palestinian state.

Does that not look progressive???

That's still radically progressive now in the 2020s, never mind the 1980s.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 09:50:55 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2023, 10:46:16 AM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

I haven't followed Jesse Jackson at all in many years, but the impression I've gotten by what people have said - and NOT said - about him recently is that he isn't as progressive as others would like him to be, except for certain issues. I will 100% concede that my impression may be inaccurate. I just haven't paid attention.

My argument is simply that "being progressive in the 1980s does not AUTOMATICALLY make you a progressive in 2023. the cultured moved left, but did you move left along with it? maybe maybe not".
Jesse Jackson's still a progressive. Also, for what it's worth, he endorsed Bernie in 2020.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 09:59:36 AM »

Jesse Jackson is a corrupt and self-serving enemy to the progressive movement.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 02:16:40 PM »

I have no idea who this person is and I do not care
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies