Montgomery County
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:01:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Montgomery County
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Montgomery County  (Read 1200 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2023, 08:39:20 PM »

Why is this suburban county so conservative unlike Fort Bend?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 08:45:01 PM »

Fort Bend is more middle/inner suburbs of Houston, with fewer exurbs as an overall percentage, while Montgomery is outer suburbs and exurbs. Not unrelatedly, Montgomery is majority white, while Fort Bend is one of the most diverse places in the country.

Brazoria and Galveston's voting patterns are actually more unexpected going off of demographics.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:11:37 PM »

Fort Bend is more middle/inner suburbs of Houston, with fewer exurbs as an overall percentage, while Montgomery is outer suburbs and exurbs. Not unrelatedly, Montgomery is majority white, while Fort Bend is one of the most diverse places in the country.

Brazoria and Galveston's voting patterns are actually more unexpected going off of demographics.
I've said this before, but Montgomery County really shouldn't be considered suburban in a general sense. Actually, if you look at the most built-up parts of Harris County, they are much closer to Fort Bend than to Montgomery; many places in "outer" Harris in fact even starts to look like Montgomery.
This is within the borders of Harris County.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 11:18:38 PM »

I've said this before, but Montgomery County really shouldn't be considered suburban in a general sense. Actually, if you look at the most built-up parts of Harris County, they are much closer to Fort Bend than to Montgomery; many places in "outer" Harris in fact even starts to look like Montgomery.

Idk, the Woodlands is pretty quintessential suburbia my guy.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 02:00:59 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2023, 04:04:44 PM by Interlocutor »

Eh, I visit Montgomery County semi-frequently and while a good chunk of it is quintessential suburbia, half or most of it feels like exurban country living
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 07:38:10 AM »

Montgomery County is majority white while Fort Bend is about one quarter white.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 10:49:08 AM »

Why is this suburban county so conservative unlike Fort Bend?

As others have pointed out Fort bend is a bit more suburban than Montgomery which still has sections that are exurban.   Fort Bend is also a bit more diverse and educated than Montgomery.   About 48% in Fort Bend have a Bachelor's 36% in Montgomery
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 11:11:25 PM »

Eh, I visit Montgomery County semi-frequently and while a good chunk of it is quintessential suburbia, half or most of it feels like exurban country living

Lots of Southern suburban counties have lots of land area that isn't suburban, but most of the people live in the suburban parts.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2023, 12:41:10 PM »

Lots of Southern suburban counties have lots of land area that isn't suburban, but most of the people live in the suburban parts.
Indeed.
It’s actually really inconvenient because it makes it hard to define where suburbs end in cities like Atlanta, Houston, Charlotte etc.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2023, 07:56:34 PM »

If one looks at Montgomery County on DRA, the denser parts of the County have actually gotten a lot closer in recent cycles, with many precincts being under Trump + 30 or even Trump + 20 in 2020 Pres.

The suburbs may seem decently diverse at face value, but in practice, the voting population is extremely white, and all racial groups generally tend to be more Conservative in southern suburbs than in northern ones.

Then as others have said, much of Montgomery County is relatively dense exurbs and rurals, that just haven't gotten any minority spillover or cultural spillover from Houston yet.

Greater Houston tends to be pretty conservative because of the oil industry and stuff, and there are a ton of relatively well off majority white suburbs that net the GOP a ton of votes; in Harris County you have places like Kingwood and Cypress keeping D margins down to D + 10.

If the GOP wants to hold Texas, I think these are the most important communities they need to try and hold down. In many, growth has actually outrun topline leftwards swings meaning GOP vote nets have increased, and for the GOP to hold TX long term they need to keep growth above leftward swings, which becomes harder as places narrow to 65-35 and 60-40.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 10:43:55 PM »

where do you think Montgomery County tops out at as far as raw vote margins go - 150K maybe?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2023, 02:56:51 PM »

When I saw "Montgomery County" I have to admit I had Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Silver Spring in mind.  Or maybe Philadelphia's Main Line.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2023, 08:09:47 PM »

When I saw "Montgomery County" I have to admit I had Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Silver Spring in mind.  Or maybe Philadelphia's Main Line.
Dayton gets no love.

Name the 6 Montgomery counties in the US with a population over 100K, and which may become the 7th.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2023, 08:36:59 PM »

Dayton gets no love.

Name the 6 Montgomery counties in the US with a population over 100K, and which may become the 7th.
Ohio
Texas
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Illinois
Alabama
North Carolina soon to be seventh?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2023, 09:16:17 PM »

Montgomery NC is an extremely small, rural area. Not anywhere close.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2023, 11:27:21 PM »

My brain was thinking it was one of the exurban counties in and around Charlotte. Guess I was way off.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2023, 08:56:34 AM »

My brain was thinking it was one of the exurban counties in and around Charlotte. Guess I was way off.

The Illinois one is quite small too.  Virginia is the one closest to 100,000 and you missed the largest one, Maryland.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 04:09:53 PM »

I immediately went to Montgomery, AL Cool
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies