Missouri megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:31:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Missouri megathread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Missouri megathread  (Read 2233 times)
Pollster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 19, 2023, 10:26:22 AM »

Flew under the radar but Russ Carnahan has been elected chair of the Missouri Dems.

When I first started in polling, roughly two thirds of my work was in Missouri - nowadays it barely cracks 10%. I have a soft spot for the state and hope that this development (Russ is a good and whip smart guy who I knew well when he was in DC) is a positive indicator.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 10:32:24 AM »

Honestly, I think the Pubs are maxed out in Missouri now. It's not going to trend democrats anytime soon but this won't get worse!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:41:07 AM »

The S race along with FL and OH and MT are battlegrounds Abortion rights is on the BALLOT
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 05:00:50 PM »

Hawley can't be beaten in 2024, nor can a Democrat win any of the statewide races in 2024....unless the GOP really has a bad year next year

2026 and beyond is what MO Dems should look at, and they should look at suburban St. Louis/KC and Rolla/Jeff City areas to win....
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 05:06:39 PM »

I wonder when IN and MO will start diverging — as you know, they’ve had very similar (and sometimes eerily similar) election results and political campaigns since 2008. I think IN is still the more solid Republican state of the two, and I fully expect MO to trend (noticeably) D both at the presidential and non-presidential well before the former does (in fact, IN is probably the medium-sized state with the worst long-term outlook for Democrats).
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 05:27:25 PM »

IIRC a no name candidate came within 12 points of a non-controversial incumbent in MO-02. That could be a good pickup target in the next GOP midterm.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 11:01:00 AM »
« Edited: March 20, 2023, 11:04:54 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Hawley can't be beaten in 2024, nor can a Democrat win any of the statewide races in 2024....unless the GOP really has a bad year next year

2026 and beyond is what MO Dems should look at, and they should look at suburban St. Louis/KC and Rolla/Jeff City areas to win....

LoL he is only 7 pts ahead not 15 Kander almost won and Hillary didn't win Eday in 2016 with this indictment it's a 303/125; map thats why I make nut maps I scoreboard watch for Ds it it was all about polls DeWinevwas ahead of Brown 45)39 in 2006 and Walker, Os, Master, Laxalt and Walker would if all won they had 6 pts leads

Presley is only 6 pts back it's called upset Kay Hagen and Merkley upset Liddy Dole and Gordon Smith they were Bush W moderates not MAGA

Just like Gonzaga can upset Alabama and Houston to win NCAA tournament that was my best bracket
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 05:51:34 PM »

IIRC a no name candidate came within 12 points of a non-controversial incumbent in MO-02. That could be a good pickup target in the next GOP midterm.

No, the Democrat was a State Representative
FloridaMan1845
Rookie
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 09:48:19 AM »

The S race along with FL and OH and MT are battlegrounds Abortion rights is on the BALLOT
Montana and Ohio are battlegrounds due to the D incumbents, but MO and FL are NOT battlegrounds. Where do you get all these horrible electoral takes from?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 11:44:47 AM »

Honestly, I think the Pubs are maxed out in Missouri now. It's not going to trend democrats anytime soon but this won't get worse!

Current expectation is a very very slow D trend for the foreseeable future. A statewide victory might be possible again by the end of the decade under the right conditions.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 10:29:24 PM »

Any updates on the 60% ballot measure threshold thing?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 07:31:43 PM »

https://www.audacy.com/kmox/news/politics/quade-may-announce-statewide-campaigns

The Missouri House of Representatives minority leader and a state senator from St. Louis both confirm they'll be seeking higher office in 2024.

Saying "Missouri's never seen a governor like me before," Democrat Crystal Quade of Springfield issued a news release Sunday ahead of a planned Monday event in her hometown. In the release Quade touts she is the daughter of working class parents and a graduate of Missouri State.

Quade joins a pair of Republicans already in the race, in Secretary of State Jay Ashcroft and Lieutenant Governor Mike Kehoe, with State Senator Bill Eigel expected to make a decision about whether or not he is running by Labor Day.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 11:06:44 AM »

Safe R obviously. It's under the radar for a reason.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2023, 12:02:31 PM »

I wonder when IN and MO will start diverging — as you know, they’ve had very similar (and sometimes eerily similar) election results and political campaigns since 2008. I think IN is still the more solid Republican state of the two, and I fully expect MO to trend (noticeably) D both at the presidential and non-presidential well before the former does (in fact, IN is probably the medium-sized state with the worst long-term outlook for Democrats).

Is there a reason for that? MO seems likely to me to keep trending Republican, just as turnout patterns by race continue evolving in their current directions (as the Civil Rights period and Obama's Presidency fade into memory, the post-2012 trend has been of black turnout coming to be a smaller percentage of white turnout, which in MO suggests reddening), whereas IN Democrats seem less dependent on minority turnout overall. Indiana also has had a substantially faster population growth rate than Missouri in the 2020s -- note the Census estimates St. Louis city has lost 5% of its population since 2020, and St. Louis county 1.4%.

It seems to me like IN is currently positioned well to very slowly get bluer, while MO will probably keep getting redder. (Absent changes in trends by demographic, which are always very possible.)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 01:13:06 PM »

Is there a reason for that? MO seems likely to me to keep trending Republican, just as turnout patterns by race continue evolving in their current directions (as the Civil Rights period and Obama's Presidency fade into memory, the post-2012 trend has been of black turnout coming to be a smaller percentage of white turnout, which in MO suggests reddening), whereas IN Democrats seem less dependent on minority turnout overall. Indiana also has had a substantially faster population growth rate than Missouri in the 2020s -- note the Census estimates St. Louis city has lost 5% of its population since 2020, and St. Louis county 1.4%.

It seems to me like IN is currently positioned well to very slowly get bluer, while MO will probably keep getting redder. (Absent changes in trends by demographic, which are always very possible.)

How is IN getting bluer and not MO we don't have a chance in IN but somewhat in MO
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2023, 04:06:43 PM »

Safe R obviously. It's under the radar for a reason.
Safe R but maybe she’ll do considerably better than Galloway did, especially if Eigel ends up being her opponent.

Quade’s main goal seems to be raising he profile for a 2026 State Senator run in SD-30.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2023, 09:21:35 AM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2023, 08:18:49 PM »

Crystal Quade will lose but not a white male
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 06:28:42 PM »

Safe R for both Governor and Senator.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 06:37:50 PM »

You post things like a 303 map we know already but Trump being a convicted felon changes the EC college just because you say it doesn't mean anything
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 06:58:38 PM »

You post things like a 303 map we know already but Trump being a convicted felon changes the EC college just because you say it doesn't mean anything

I never said that Trump being a convicted felon meant nothing. Maybe you were referring to another user? Also, what does the presidential race have to do with Missouri's senate and governor race?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2023, 07:07:56 PM »

The Prez Nominee brings down the ticket the reverse was true in 2016 Hillary cost us the S due to her campaign

It's called voting everything isn't gonna flow in a 303 package we won Red states beforehand
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2023, 02:46:25 PM »
« Edited: July 23, 2023, 02:49:50 PM by MarkD »

I just watched This Week in Missouri Politics, in which I listened as state Senator Andrew Koenig discussed his next campaign -- a run for statewide office: state Treasurer. This means he'll be competing with (appointed) incumbent Vivek Malek in the Republican primary. And it means he's trying to follow in Eric Schmitt's path: Schmitt had been the state Senator from the same district in 2008-2016 when he then ran successfully for Treasurer in 2016.

I heard Koenig say that he's always been the underdog in every one of his races. That is laughable!! He's only had a few close races out of the 12 election contests that he's been in so far. He did have a close race in his first Republican primary for the state House in 2008: he beat Shamed Dogan by only 10 points in a three-way race that year (44.44% to 33.44%). He then was unopposed in the general election that year, as he was again unopposed in the general election two years later. He easily crushed on minor opponent in the 2010 Republican primary with 88.42%. He was unopposed in the Republican primary in both 2012 and 2014, and in those two general elections, he got 59.22% and 63.53% respectively. How could he have been an "underdog" as the incumbent state rep running for reelection in a very heavily Republican West St. Louis County district? In his first race for the state Senate - 2016 - he did have a close race against fellow state rep Rick Stream in the Republican primary, 53.15% to 46.85%. But he easily beat his Democratic opponent in the general election, in a senate district that was, at the time, still a heavily Republican district. He was unopposed in the Republican primary in 2020, and then he finally did have a close call in the general election that year, winning against state Rep Deb Lavender just 53.99% to 46.01%. But all in all, he's had no opponents in five of his primary or general election bids, and he has crushed four other opponents by wide margins.

Vivek Malek v. Andrew Koenig should be an interesting primary race next year.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2024, 07:33:16 PM »

Missourians for Constitutional Freedom launched on Thursday in their quest to put a ballot measure ending Missouri's abortion ban.

KMOV:
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (First Alert 4) - With just over 16 weeks left to collect signatures, a coalition of abortion rights advocacy groups officially launched a campaign Thursday to lift the state’s ban on the procedure.

The group, Missourians for Constitutional Freedom, is comprised of the ACLU of Missouri, Abortion Action Missouri, and the region’s two Planned Parenthood chapters.

MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2024, 06:11:17 AM »

Missourians for Constitutional Freedom launched on Thursday in their quest to put a ballot measure ending Missouri's abortion ban.

KMOV:
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (First Alert 4) - With just over 16 weeks left to collect signatures, a coalition of abortion rights advocacy groups officially launched a campaign Thursday to lift the state’s ban on the procedure.

The group, Missourians for Constitutional Freedom, is comprised of the ACLU of Missouri, Abortion Action Missouri, and the region’s two Planned Parenthood chapters.

But first there has to be a consensus on which ballot language they want to have -- how comprehensive do they want to make the right to abortion; do they agree to compromise -- and that will not be particularly easy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies