Future of mainline/liberal Christian denominations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:51:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Future of mainline/liberal Christian denominations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Future of mainline/liberal Christian denominations  (Read 161 times)
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 18, 2023, 03:31:29 PM »
« edited: March 18, 2023, 03:35:40 PM by Proud Red Blooded Mouth Breather »

As Christianity declines in the United States, especially among younger people, mainline/liberal denominations have and presumably will take the brunt of the decline in the future - so this makes me wonder, what will the future of mainline and liberal denominations be as the nation becomes more secular and the amount of young people part of those denominations decrease?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 06:19:21 PM »
« Edited: March 18, 2023, 09:01:42 PM by Just Passion Through »

As a mainline Protestant who's had many different pastors and priests over the years, I'll say this: the message of salvation through Jesus Christ has been lost in many churches. I would also say the decline reflects on the culture itself; many of the denominations that are growing or have less decline are those that have stuff like this:

Americans like to be entertained. But in order to separate the Church from the culture, mainline denominations need to return the focus to Jesus. If I'm ever so fortunate to join the clergy as an Episcopalian, the first thing I would want to do is scrub every influence of Spongism and do everything in my power to push a more orthodox theology.

But I don't believe that rejecting LGBT people will somehow increase our numbers. The Church is meant as a sanctuary for all who are one in Jesus Christ. That's what matters. And they are just as entited to marry who they love and start a famiy as any straight person. That's my belief, and that's why I would never join a church - Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox - that doesn't support LGBT people. I would never join a church where this stuff is being preached.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies