DEI scams Minneapolis out of almost a million and black-owned businesses out of a bunch as well
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 05:20:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DEI scams Minneapolis out of almost a million and black-owned businesses out of a bunch as well
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DEI scams Minneapolis out of almost a million and black-owned businesses out of a bunch as well  (Read 562 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 17, 2023, 11:56:49 PM »

Pretty infuriating story: https://kstp.com/kstp-news/top-news/citys-inaugural-black-expo-leaves-minneapolis-small-business-owners-with-losses/

The summary:

-City creates a new "Racial Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Department" and appoints a director.
-Director proposes a ‘I Am My Ancestors Wildest Dreams’ expo to showcase local black-owned businesses.
-Expo gets earmarked $450k budget for it. Then...a week before the director demands to almost double it. The City Council gives her $290k from federal Covid funds and another $145k from the city's emergency fund.
-Director uses money to award a bunch of contracts to companies owned by her contacts and buddies, many out of the city and some out of the state entirely (one of the biggest recipients was in Kansas City.)
-Event receives near zero marketing or promotion from all of those funds.
-Businesses setting up there are promised a likely attendance of around 20,000. Actual attendance was closer to 200. Needless to say those businesses didn't get many sales and all took a hit.
-Director of that Department is no longer employed (unclear if it was a firing or a "I'm quitting, you definitely can't fire me." situation.)

And this was a position that did not exist until about a year ago. It was a completely unnecessary position that no one except loud activists on Twitter was calling for, most people in Minneapolis were unaware even existed until now....and look what it got us.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 11:59:50 PM »

Can this person be locked up for white-collar fraud? Does a legal case exist?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 12:22:25 AM »

Can this person be locked up for white-collar fraud? Does a legal case exist?
Probably would have to prove she was directly getting kickbacks. I'd like to think this would ensure she'd never be hired anywhere else for such a position but the nature of DEI means this isn't guaranteed.

If the city wants to do an expo showcasing black-owned businesses, can it be done more efficiently and successfully without a "Racial Equity, Inclusion and Belonging Department" running things? I think the answer is obviously "yes".
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2023, 08:38:20 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2023, 11:48:09 PM by lfromnj »

https://www.mynbc5.com/article/diversity-director-burlington-tyeastia-green/44791461
https://vtdigger.org/2023/08/10/city-investigation-of-burlington-juneteenth-events-alleges-mismanagement-sparks-outcry/
After Burlington’s former director of racial equity, inclusion and belonging, Tyeastia Green, left a similar role in Minneapolis amid allegations of financial mismanagement, the city launched its own review. Green and others allege the review was racially motivated.

This grift is amazing. Its the exact same person from the OP except now in Vermont.  BRTD when you see this thread bumped maybe just add something about Vermont.

The brilliant part of DEI is the kafka trap where if you deny the existence of racism being everywhere  its just proof that racism is completely prevalent in every layer of society so we need more DEI.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2023, 08:56:14 PM »

Burlington's office of Racial Equity, Inclusion & Belonging has spent nearly $4 million in its several years of existence, with nothing to show for it but embarrassment. There was another scandal a couple of years ago in which an administrator scammed the city out of thousands of dollars to write a "police transformation" report that was mostly plagiarized, without attribution, from other sources. It's absolutely pathetic.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 09:16:25 PM »

Some lower level official like this wanting their budget doubled with a week's notice would normally set off all kinds of alarm bells. Except it didn't here because you had to do everything she said or else you were racist. These people are so easy to trick and take advantage of.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2023, 09:40:18 PM »

We need to take a sledgehammer to DEI
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 10:28:39 PM »

Don’t get me started on how much school districts spend on DEI only to say that no progress has been made on this front as a talking point for why we need to continue spending for DEI.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies