NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:26:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 174
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!  (Read 106751 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2775 on: May 24, 2024, 08:52:02 PM »

Oh it's saying we don't know yet.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2776 on: May 24, 2024, 08:52:39 PM »

What's the answer to "How did Merchan rule? 🤐" ? Just that he didn't?

He reserved ruling at "the hearing in [their] earlier report" (so "at least for now, it seems we won't know exactly how the judge will decide to charge the jury until it happens").

yeah, I was confused lol
LBJer
« Reply #2777 on: May 24, 2024, 09:17:43 PM »

Any predictions for the outcome so far? I have a feeling we're getting a hung jury.

Same here.

Conviction on all felony counts as charged confirmed

Where?

Because SnowLabrador made a prediction. Again, keep letting him. He's doing us all a massive service.

Trump has incredible luck. I am pessimistic that he will be convicted on felony charges, myself. He has managed to scrape by things that would've ended the careers of 99% of other politicians for nearly a decade. I too can honestly see a hung jury, or a conviction on misdemeanor offenses. I am skeptical he will be convicted of felonious offences purely because he is just that damn lucky.

He wasn't lucky in 2020.

He kind of was. He should have lost by as much as polls suggested he would.

Somehow I don't think he himself would see it that way.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2778 on: May 24, 2024, 10:11:40 PM »

Any predictions for the outcome so far? I have a feeling we're getting a hung jury.

Same here.

Conviction on all felony counts as charged confirmed

Where?

Because SnowLabrador made a prediction. Again, keep letting him. He's doing us all a massive service.

Trump has incredible luck. I am pessimistic that he will be convicted on felony charges, myself. He has managed to scrape by things that would've ended the careers of 99% of other politicians for nearly a decade. I too can honestly see a hung jury, or a conviction on misdemeanor offenses. I am skeptical he will be convicted of felonious offences purely because he is just that damn lucky.

He wasn't lucky in 2020.

He kind of was. He should have lost by as much as polls suggested he would.

Somehow I don't think he himself would see it that way.

He would definitely blame luck more than his own actions for sure.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #2779 on: May 25, 2024, 04:58:20 AM »

He reserved ruling at "the hearing in [their] earlier report" (so "at least for now, it seems we won't know exactly how the judge will decide to charge the jury until it happens").

Could this be a sign that he is considering dismissing the charges?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2780 on: May 25, 2024, 07:34:16 AM »

The "How did Merchan rule?" question was in reference to one specific point in the proposed jury instructions:

Merchan isn't going to dismiss the charges.  This case is going to the jury.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2781 on: May 25, 2024, 05:24:00 PM »

‘In Jail For 150 Years!!’ Trump Blurts Out Attacks On Criminal Trial Into Social Media Night As Case Heads To Jury

Former President Donald Trump was up ranting late into the night about his criminal trial, as the case heads for closing arguments and jury deliberations next week.

Trump has been bombarding Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg and Judge Juan Merchan with attacks throughout the case, but on Memorial Day weekend, Trump was up until 2 in the morning ranting about the case — sometimes in ALL CAPS shouting.

Just before midnight, Trump blurted “LEGAL EXPENSE = LEGAL EXPENSE!!!”

“Let’s put the President in jail for 150 years because a LEGAL EXPENSE to a lawyer was called, by a bookkeeper, a LEGAL EXPENSE to a lawyer!What else could you call it. Crooked Joe Biden Witch Hunt. Election Interference. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!” Trump wrote after midnight.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/in-jail-for-150-years-trump-blurts-out-attacks-on-criminal-trial-into-social-media-night-as-case-heads-to-jury/

others:

I HAVE A GREAT CASE, BUT WITH A RIGGED AND CONFLICTED JUDGE. HISTORY PROVES, HOWEVER, THAT I WOULD BE FAR BETTER OFF WITH A BAD CASE AND A GREAT, FAIR, AND HONEST JUDGE!!!

The City of New York’s D.A., Alvin Bragg, is trying to prosecute a Federal case, which cannot be done, and where there is NO CRIME, that has been turned down by everyone, including the Federal Elections Commission, SDNY, the D.A.’s Office, and Bragg himself – Until I announced that I was running for President. This case could have been brought 7 years ago, but wasn’t. It is another Crooked Joe Biden Election Interference Hoax!

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL – OPINION. ALVIN BRAGG HASN’T PROVED HIS CASE IN THE TRUMP TRIAL. THE EVIDENCE SHOWS WHY THE CHARGES SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BROUGHT. New York Prosecutors rested their hush-money case against Donald Trump this week, but after 20 days in Court, and a trial transcript of 4000 pages, the missing piece is still missing. The question is whether Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg presented the evidence necessary for a conviction, and if we were in the jury room, we’d say NO.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2782 on: May 25, 2024, 07:13:14 PM »

what type of delusion lol
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2783 on: May 25, 2024, 07:19:59 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2024, 08:09:59 PM by brucejoel99 »

‘In Jail For 150 Years!!’ Trump Blurts Out Attacks On Criminal Trial Into Social Media Night As Case Heads To Jury

Former President Donald Trump was up ranting late into the night about his criminal trial, as the case heads for closing arguments and jury deliberations next week.

Trump has been bombarding Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg and Judge Juan Merchan with attacks throughout the case, but on Memorial Day weekend, Trump was up until 2 in the morning ranting about the case — sometimes in ALL CAPS shouting.

“Let’s put the President in jail for 150 years because a LEGAL EXPENSE to a lawyer was called, by a bookkeeper, a LEGAL EXPENSE to a lawyer!What else could you call it. Crooked Joe Biden Witch Hunt. Election Interference. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!” Trump wrote after midnight.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/in-jail-for-150-years-trump-blurts-out-attacks-on-criminal-trial-into-social-media-night-as-case-heads-to-jury/

His legal team should probably let him know that the 34 felony counts he's facing are classified as "Class E felonies" under New York Penal Law, which caps consecutive sentencing for Class E felonies at 20 years; in the absolute worst of worst-case scenarios that he'd theoretically experience as a convicted felon from sentencing, he'll repay his debt to NY at 98, not 228.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2784 on: May 26, 2024, 09:50:45 AM »

Is this accurate? (that misdemeanor is unlikely, and it will be all or nothing for felony)?

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2785 on: May 26, 2024, 10:48:37 AM »

I'm going to put my chips on acquittal. Partly because my optimism in recent years seems to have finally stopped translating to reality. So, maybe I won't jinx it by going back to expecting the worst, and the opposite will manifest.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2786 on: May 26, 2024, 11:19:33 AM »

I'm going to put my chips on acquittal. Partly because my optimism in recent years seems to have finally stopped translating to reality. So, maybe I won't jinx it by going back to expecting the worst, and the opposite will manifest.

Meh, I'm in the "Trump will get lucky here won't he" camp as well just bc I'm cynical about all things Trump, but I don't think an acquittal is at all likely. A hung jury is what I'm most worried about.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2787 on: May 26, 2024, 11:35:56 AM »

Is this accurate? (that misdemeanor is unlikely, and it will be all or nothing for felony)?

I think so. The prosecution can't ask for misdemeanors because the statute of limitations on the misdemeanors ran out and the judge can't unilaterally make it an option for the same reason. The defense can waive that and ask for misdemeanors to be possible but they haven't and you can argue it cuts against Trump's defense that the this is a political prosecution with no basis and no case. But they still have until Tuesday I guess to change their mind.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #2788 on: May 27, 2024, 12:16:06 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2024, 12:25:27 PM by Ljube »

I think so. The prosecution can't ask for misdemeanors because the statute of limitations on the misdemeanors ran out and the judge can't unilaterally make it an option for the same reason. The defense can waive that and ask for misdemeanors to be possible but they haven't and you can argue it cuts against Trump's defense that the this is a political prosecution with no basis and no case. But they still have until Tuesday I guess to change their mind.

The smart move for the defense would be to ASK for misdemeanors to be included.

What kind of penalty could Trump expect if he gets convicted on the misdemeanor charges and acquitted on the felony charges?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2789 on: May 27, 2024, 02:19:56 PM »

It sounds like another significant ruling is the judge ruled it's up to the jury to decide if the if the crime being covered up by the fraud was illegal and the prosecution doesn't have to prove it was unlawful. Not sure I have this right.

Merchan reserved ruling on whether an election conspiracy requires that its unlawful means be criminal or can encompass civil violations too (although agreed that the statute could've said "criminal means" but doesn't) before ruling that the jury doesn't have to unanimously agree on what the exact unlawful means Trump falsified his business records to conceal were.

Trump maybe has leaked the decision here on TS? I don't know but a talking head lawyer thinks this indicates the decision because there's 3 options I guess.

The reason the Radical, highly Conflicted Judge Juan Merchan had to come up with three FAKE options for the jury to choose from, without requiring them to be unanimous, which is completely UNAMERICAN AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL, is because the Corrupt, Soros backed D.A., Alvin Bragg, couldn’t come close to proving that any crime was committed. THERE WAS NO CRIME. Legal Expense paid to a lawyer was marked, by a bookkeeper using a dropdown menu in a computer program, as Legal Expense paid to a lawyer. WHAT ELSE COULD YOU CALL IT? There is NO CASE, just a Democrat Persecutor controlled by Crooked Joe Biden’s White House, a Democrat Judge, and a biased venue. This is nothing but an Election Interfering Witch Hunt, and the American People know it! MAGA2024
Obama24
United States
« Reply #2790 on: May 27, 2024, 02:29:02 PM »

It sounds like another significant ruling is the judge ruled it's up to the jury to decide if the if the crime being covered up by the fraud was illegal and the prosecution doesn't have to prove it was unlawful. Not sure I have this right.

Merchan reserved ruling on whether an election conspiracy requires that its unlawful means be criminal or can encompass civil violations too (although agreed that the statute could've said "criminal means" but doesn't) before ruling that the jury doesn't have to unanimously agree on what the exact unlawful means Trump falsified his business records to conceal were.

Trump maybe has leaked the decision here on TS? I don't know but a talking head lawyer thinks this indicates the decision because there's 3 options I guess.

The reason the Radical, highly Conflicted Judge Juan Merchan had to come up with three FAKE options for the jury to choose from, without requiring them to be unanimous, which is completely UNAMERICAN AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL, is because the Corrupt, Soros backed D.A., Alvin Bragg, couldn’t come close to proving that any crime was committed. THERE WAS NO CRIME. Legal Expense paid to a lawyer was marked, by a bookkeeper using a dropdown menu in a computer program, as Legal Expense paid to a lawyer. WHAT ELSE COULD YOU CALL IT? There is NO CASE, just a Democrat Persecutor controlled by Crooked Joe Biden’s White House, a Democrat Judge, and a biased venue. This is nothing but an Election Interfering Witch Hunt, and the American People know it! MAGA2024

That post says to me he is very, very, very afraid of the verdict and panicking but I could bw wrong ofc.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2791 on: May 27, 2024, 02:31:26 PM »

That post says to me he is very, very, very afraid of the verdict and panicking but I could bw wrong ofc.

Honestly, he should be. If this wasn't Trump and it was just a regular person, I would say it was almost a guarantee that they'd be convicted, especially after the circus that Trump's entire team caused throughout the trial. But since its Trump, who knows
Obama24
United States
« Reply #2792 on: May 27, 2024, 02:42:32 PM »

Honestly, he should be. If this wasn't Trump and it was just a regular person, I would say it was almost a guarantee that they'd be convicted, especially after the circus that Trump's entire team caused throughout the trial. But since its Trump, who knows

If Trump was a regular person, he'd currently be doing 12-25 in prison with the other J6 people. If Trump was a regular person, he'd be doing a long stretch for the classified docs case as it would've been over already. Because he has money, he's not going to enjoy the same justice you, or I, or most would. He and the powerful enjoy a different tier than we do.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2793 on: May 27, 2024, 02:45:26 PM »

others:

I HAVE A GREAT CASE, BUT WITH A RIGGED AND CONFLICTED JUDGE. HISTORY PROVES, HOWEVER, THAT I WOULD BE FAR BETTER OFF WITH A BAD CASE AND A GREAT, FAIR, AND HONEST JUDGE!!!

The City of New York’s D.A., Alvin Bragg, is trying to prosecute a Federal case, which cannot be done, and where there is NO CRIME, that has been turned down by everyone, including the Federal Elections Commission, SDNY, the D.A.’s Office, and Bragg himself – Until I announced that I was running for President. This case could have been brought 7 years ago, but wasn’t. It is another Crooked Joe Biden Election Interference Hoax!

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL – OPINION. ALVIN BRAGG HASN’T PROVED HIS CASE IN THE TRUMP TRIAL. THE EVIDENCE SHOWS WHY THE CHARGES SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BROUGHT. New York Prosecutors rested their hush-money case against Donald Trump this week, but after 20 days in Court, and a trial transcript of 4000 pages, the missing piece is still missing. The question is whether Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg presented the evidence necessary for a conviction, and if we were in the jury room, we’d say NO.

How likely is it that he gets a sanction over this? It would be 100% earned at this point.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2794 on: May 27, 2024, 03:04:28 PM »

I don't think it would get a sanction. The judge and DA aren't covered by the gag order. It's probably 4th degree harassment if you take that and all the other things he's said about them, but the DA doesn't appear to be interested in pursuing that.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #2795 on: May 27, 2024, 03:29:14 PM »

I don't think it would get a sanction. The judge and DA aren't covered by the gag order. It's probably 4th degree harassment if you take that and all the other things he's said about them, but the DA doesn't appear to be interested in pursuing that.

Frankly all the prosecutors in all the cases should file harassment or civil suits just to fck with him further. Even if it's civil only, just, you know. Why not.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2796 on: May 27, 2024, 04:03:56 PM »

Biden has stayed silent on Trump’s trial. The verdict will change that.
Biden will speak at some point after the verdict, whether it be a conviction, acquittal or hung jury.

Joe Biden plans to break his vow of silence and publicly address the criminal trials Donald Trump is facing when a verdict is reached, four people familiar with internal deliberations told POLITICO.

Biden intends to initially address the verdict in a White House setting — not a campaign one — to show his statement isn’t political, according to the people, who were granted anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

If the jury convicts Trump, Biden’s team will then argue that the result shows Trump is ill-suited for office and that it demonstrates the extremes to which the former president would go to win again. The campaign’s social media team is considering leveraging the line of attack further, with discussions underway about referring to the ex-president online as “Convicted Felon Donald Trump.”

His team is also preparing for a barrage of Republican and Trump attacks if the former president’s acquitted or if there’s a hung jury.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/24/biden-trump-trial-verdict-00159981
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2797 on: May 27, 2024, 04:45:18 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2024, 05:59:02 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Biden has stayed silent on Trump’s trial. The verdict will change that.
Biden will speak at some point after the verdict, whether it be a conviction, acquittal or hung jury.

Joe Biden plans to break his vow of silence and publicly address the criminal trials Donald Trump is facing when a verdict is reached, four people familiar with internal deliberations told POLITICO.

Biden intends to initially address the verdict in a White House setting — not a campaign one — to show his statement isn’t political, according to the people, who were granted anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

If the jury convicts Trump, Biden’s team will then argue that the result shows Trump is ill-suited for office and that it demonstrates the extremes to which the former president would go to win again. The campaign’s social media team is considering leveraging the line of attack further, with discussions underway about referring to the ex-president online as “Convicted Felon Donald Trump.”

His team is also preparing for a barrage of Republican and Trump attacks if the former president’s acquitted or if there’s a hung jury.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/24/biden-trump-trial-verdict-00159981

That's the real benefit of the verdict, especially if it's a conviction, Biden and other Democrats can finally not have their arms tied behind their back about this.
VALibertarian
LordPhantasm8
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2798 on: May 27, 2024, 07:25:53 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2024, 10:02:56 PM by VALibertarian »

What exactly should Biden even say in the case of an acquittal or hung jury? That part confuses me unless he tries to pull a Harris post-Rittenhouse trial and attack the justice system.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2799 on: May 27, 2024, 07:31:09 PM »

If he's acquitted I think what he should say is that the issue is over now, let's talk about the issues. But that should be a brief statement in a campaign speech or video, not in an address from the White House.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 174  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies