NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 12:38:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 165
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!  (Read 91435 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2550 on: May 16, 2024, 10:12:13 AM »

Blanche got Cohen to admit the outcome of the trial affects him personally. Yikes.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2551 on: May 16, 2024, 10:21:35 AM »

Blanche got Cohen to admit the outcome of the trial affects him personally. Yikes.
He can swear Cohen personally but there is too much collaborating witnesses and evidence backing his statements up
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #2552 on: May 16, 2024, 10:47:01 AM »

The defense is doing a much better job today, FWIW. Not sure it’s anything that can’t be overcome during redirect, but “Michael Cohen is an unrepentant liar, and he’s lying to you in his testimony” isn’t the WORST way to sow doubt.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2553 on: May 16, 2024, 11:09:29 AM »

I mean, that's not too surprising? I would imagine everyone would believe he was lying if he said no.

The thing with Cohen is that he has a sordid past and is an admitted liar, but it's also perfectly normal for him to have a personal reaction to Trump's actions and how he was treated.
EJ24
United States

« Reply #2554 on: May 16, 2024, 11:10:28 AM »

The prosecution has been terrible here, let's be real. They have asked essentially nothing about the documents being falsified, which is what this case is supposed to rest on. I thought they spent way too much time in the Access Hollywood stuff with Stormy and Cohen.

And then today, the star witness Cohen has repeatedly admitted under oath how many times he's lied about everything. It ain't looking good.

There has been no proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump ordered these documents to be falsified. And to be honest the whole thing just looks like a complete mess full of liars that Trump surrounded himself with. The only thing the defense has to do is introduce enough doubt, and they've done that.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #2555 on: May 16, 2024, 11:21:35 AM »

The prosecution has Trump on tape managing the similar McDougal scheme, testimony from several members of the organization about how he micromanaged, and his signature on the checks. As far as the paper trail goes, they’ve done a pretty great job.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2556 on: May 16, 2024, 11:34:01 AM »

I mean, that's not too surprising? I would imagine everyone would believe he was lying if he said no.

The thing with Cohen is that he has a sordid past and is an admitted liar, but it's also perfectly normal for him to have a personal reaction to Trump's actions and how he was treated.

I figured the implication was that he'll be able to monetize it like he's made millions already. Blanche just moved on immediately and didn't give him a chance to clean it up.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2557 on: May 16, 2024, 11:35:59 AM »

The prosecution has been terrible here, let's be real. They have asked essentially nothing about the documents being falsified, which is what this case is supposed to rest on. I thought they spent way too much time in the Access Hollywood stuff with Stormy and Cohen.

And then today, the star witness Cohen has repeatedly admitted under oath how many times he's lied about everything. It ain't looking good.

There has been no proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Trump ordered these documents to be falsified. And to be honest the whole thing just looks like a complete mess full of liars that Trump surrounded himself with. The only thing the defense has to do is introduce enough doubt, and they've done that.

Disagree on most points. I think we have good evidence they were falsified.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2558 on: May 16, 2024, 11:46:37 AM »

Judge asks the jury if they are ok with working next Wednesday, which could mean he thinks they'll be in deliberations by then. Remember they have off tomorrow for Trump's son's graduation.

No dice:

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2559 on: May 16, 2024, 11:58:41 AM »

Defense not bringing a case would really be a major issue for jurors imo. I've been a part of a jury before, and people take seriously the overarching things like that - which side presented more evidence than the other. The fact that the prosecution has had numerous witnesses and then the defense just kind of sits it out will be a key factor I think, and telling. Prosecution always starts from a better place just because of how trials are situated, but a defense without almost anybody gives them even more disadvantages.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2560 on: May 16, 2024, 12:17:25 PM »

Defense not bringing a case would really be a major issue for jurors imo. I've been a part of a jury before, and people take seriously the overarching things like that - which side presented more evidence than the other. The fact that the prosecution has had numerous witnesses and then the defense just kind of sits it out will be a key factor I think, and telling. Prosecution always starts from a better place just because of how trials are situated, but a defense without almost anybody gives them even more disadvantages.

When I was on a jury, the defense brought up only three "character witnesses" who were on the stand for less than 30 minutes combined and got thoroughly embarrassed by the prosecution's line of questioning - admitted they only rarely interacted with the defendant / hadn't seen her in years and didn't know why they were in a courtroom, essentially admitting they lied 30 seconds earlier when they said they spoke frequently about defendant's character.

The majority were firmly on the not guilty train before that happened and we still voted not guilty because it was the right verdict given the lack of a case by the state, but boy, we sure admitted it would have been much easier if the defense didn't completely embarrass themselves.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2561 on: May 16, 2024, 12:22:33 PM »

Not a lawyer but doesn't it seem like a no brainer for the prosecution to mention that fact?
So many people were involved in this case and yet nobody stepped up to defend Trump and explain why he is innocent.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2562 on: May 16, 2024, 12:39:40 PM »

I've also been on a jury where the defendant taking the stand really helped their case -- he was credible and seemed like an ordinary person, rather than the Jack the Ripper that the prosecution made him out to be.  I won't say it definitely made the difference (the state's case was fairly weak anyway) but it made a Not Guilty verdict a lot easier, and we talked about it as a point in the defendant's favor during deliberations.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2563 on: May 16, 2024, 12:43:15 PM »

So Trump should take the stand so the jury feels better about possibly concluding Cohen lied that Trump was briefed on the whole scheme 🤔
Redban

« Reply #2564 on: May 16, 2024, 01:39:29 PM »

I disagree. I don’t think they have shown that “legal services” was an obviously invalid or unreasonable way to characterize the payment. They offer some evidence that Trump did it to help his campaign instead of his marriage, citing his statements that Melania wouldn’t care and such.  So I guess the conclusion is that the payments should’ve been characterized as “campaign contribution” or something. But the prosecution hasn’t made that clear

170.05 requires  intent on Trump’s part. Was it so obvious that the payment wasn’t “legal services,” or do you have to go diving into technical legal hodgepodge to know that the payment shouldn’t have been characterized as “legal services.” When Trump wrote “legal services,” you don’t think he might’ve really believed “legal services” was a true and accurate way to characterize the payments? The prosecution hasn’t showed otherwise
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2565 on: May 16, 2024, 01:51:00 PM »

I disagree. I don’t think they have shown that “legal services” was an obviously invalid or unreasonable way to characterize the payment.

If it's legal services they don't need to plus it up to cover his tax hit.
Redban

« Reply #2566 on: May 16, 2024, 02:07:01 PM »

Huh? … the case is that he intentionally falsified business records by writing “legal services.” So you’re saying the prosecution doesn’t need to show that the payments were not actually legal services (and that Trump knew they weren’t “legal services”)?

You said there’s enough evidence that he falsified the business records. I don’t see it, nor do I see evidence of trump’s intent. A reasonable take is, simply, that Trump thought “legal services” was a true and accurate characterization
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2567 on: May 16, 2024, 02:21:04 PM »

A juror has an appointment next Thursday and they're trying to get them to reschedule I guess.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2568 on: May 16, 2024, 02:21:50 PM »

Huh? … the case is that he intentionally falsified business records by writing “legal services.” So you’re saying the prosecution doesn’t need to show that the payments were not actually legal services (and that Trump knew they weren’t “legal services”)?

You said there’s enough evidence that he falsified the business records. I don’t see it, nor do I see evidence of trump’s intent. A reasonable take is, simply, that Trump thought “legal services” was a true and accurate characterization

People's exhibit 35
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #2569 on: May 16, 2024, 02:27:01 PM »

Anderson Cooper seems to be of the opinion that the trial  is going poorly for the prosecution.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2570 on: May 16, 2024, 02:37:36 PM »

They're definitely going to need a redirect.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2571 on: May 16, 2024, 03:37:37 PM »

We're in the home stretch:

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2572 on: May 16, 2024, 03:40:27 PM »

I'm probably going to jinx it, but here it goes: is it me? Or is this trial going unusually well for the prosecution?

Sorry all. I did jinx it.

Acquittal or hung jury is of course going to happen. Trump probably gets re-elected, and everything continues to suck.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2573 on: May 16, 2024, 03:45:15 PM »

I'm probably going to jinx it, but here it goes: is it me? Or is this trial going unusually well for the prosecution?

Acquittal or hung jury is of course going to happen. Trump probably gets re-elected, and everything continues to suck.

I think you are overreacting.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2574 on: May 16, 2024, 03:47:27 PM »

I think you are overreacting.

I hope so, but this isnlt the development the prosecution needed in the home stretch.
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 [103] 104 105 106 107 108 ... 165  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies