NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:25:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 111
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 77352 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2450 on: May 13, 2024, 12:24:28 PM »

Well most legal experts seem to agree he won't get jail time for this as a first offender so I'm just going with that.
mjba257
United States
« Reply #2451 on: May 13, 2024, 12:25:47 PM »

They can't recommend a sentence 'til a guilty verdict is in. Before sentencing, he'd be interviewed by the probation department, who'd prepare a pre-sentencing report for Merchan in addition to the sentence recommendations he'll receive from the prosecution & defense (& on top of an assumed motion from the defense to set aside the conviction in favor of an acquittal, which Merchan will almost certainly deny), then he'd be sentenced, typically anywhere from a few wks. to a few months after conviction, & we'll assume he was out on bail pending sentencing for the purposes of this discussion but if sentenced to prison time without being able to win bail on appeal, he'd immediately be remanded into the custody of New York state correctional officers, as there's no post-sentencing time given to report in New York criminal proceedings; the sentencing hearing is the report date, with the defendant handcuffed & remanded from the courtroom if receiving prison time (& amend the sentencing hearing to the verdict reading when unable to secure bail pending sentencing).

I understand there'd be no actual sentencing recommendation in this specific case yet.
But there's been like no discussion of sentencing guidelines or how similar past cases have been sentenced in the past.
Like, what do defendants who have been convicted of this crime usually get as a penalty? Isn't there a recommended sentence for each class of felony in the state?

Every state is different, but low-level felony convictions for first time offenders don't usually result in incarceration, and if it does, it usually is for less than a year. Typically probation, fines, community service, etc are the go-to penalties for these offenses. Add to that the unique nature of this defendant, given that he is running for president and has secret service, makes it even more unlikely he'd get prison time
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2452 on: May 13, 2024, 12:26:30 PM »

Like, what do defendants who have been convicted of this crime usually get as a penalty? Isn't there a recommended sentence for each class of felony in the state?

They're seeking this as a Class E felony, which in NY is apparently up to 4 years but a first offender wouldn't get anywhere near that. I tend to agree with people who think giving Trump jail time will be impossible but even if it wasn't we'd probably be talking like 12 months?

Anyway, that's an argument for the sentencing phase if we get a conviction.

I do think people are unprepared for how quickly this trial is moving and how late in we already are. The prosecution is indicating it plans to rest Tuesday of next week (the 21st) and the defense is saying that they think their case would take about a week, so we'll probably have a verdict the first or second week of June? That's a lot closer than I think people are mentally ready for.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2453 on: May 13, 2024, 12:29:10 PM »

When will this trial be over? June?
Any predictions as to whether he is convicted?
I think that a hung jury is possible, but an acquittal is unlikely.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #2454 on: May 13, 2024, 12:30:09 PM »

Acquittal seems all but impossible to me based on the evidence and the makeup of the jury.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2455 on: May 13, 2024, 12:39:41 PM »

When will this trial be over? June?
Any predictions as to whether he is convicted?
I think that a hung jury is possible, but an acquittal is unlikely.

Seems possible that everything pre-jury deliberation could/should be wrapped up by end of next week?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2456 on: May 13, 2024, 12:41:27 PM »

They're seeking this as a Class E felony, which in NY is apparently up to 4 years but a first offender wouldn't get anywhere near that. I tend to agree with people who think giving Trump jail time will be impossible but even if it wasn't we'd probably be talking like 12 months?

I do think people are unprepared for how quickly this trial is moving and how late in we already are. The prosecution is indicating it plans to rest Tuesday of next week (the 21st) and the defense is saying that they think their case would take about a week, so we'll probably have a verdict the first or second week of June? That's a lot closer than I think people are mentally ready for.

I agree with the speed. People are used to courts taking forever to reach justice, which is true, but once you actually get to trial, there's not much to do to delay the result. I feel like people are still thinking of this as something that might be resolved in two to three months, which is far from the truth; the latest we'll have a verdict is the first week of June.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2457 on: May 13, 2024, 12:42:44 PM »

They can't recommend a sentence 'til a guilty verdict is in. Before sentencing, he'd be interviewed by the probation department, who'd prepare a pre-sentencing report for Merchan in addition to the sentence recommendations he'll receive from the prosecution & defense (& on top of an assumed motion from the defense to set aside the conviction in favor of an acquittal, which Merchan will almost certainly deny), then he'd be sentenced, typically anywhere from a few wks. to a few months after conviction, & we'll assume he was out on bail pending sentencing for the purposes of this discussion but if sentenced to prison time without being able to win bail on appeal, he'd immediately be remanded into the custody of New York state correctional officers, as there's no post-sentencing time given to report in New York criminal proceedings; the sentencing hearing is the report date, with the defendant handcuffed & remanded from the courtroom if receiving prison time (& amend the sentencing hearing to the verdict reading when unable to secure bail pending sentencing).

I understand there'd be no actual sentencing recommendation in this specific case yet.
But there's been like no discussion of sentencing guidelines or how similar past cases have been sentenced in the past.

The maximum sentence for the Class E felony is up to 4 years and prison and up to $5,000 fine for each count.  The "Just Security" site did a survey of similar New York cases and provided a table describing each one and the result; on a quick skim, it looks like the sentences varied from community service to a couple of years in prison.

Table: https://www.justsecurity.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/survey-new-york-felony-falsification-of-business-records-just-security.pdf

Article: https://www.justsecurity.org/85605/survey-of-past-new-york-felony-prosecutions-for-falsifying-business-records/
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #2458 on: May 13, 2024, 12:44:33 PM »

Here's where I show my ignorance: would Trump being held in contempt be factored into the sentence?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2459 on: May 13, 2024, 12:59:45 PM »

I'm here for it!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2460 on: May 13, 2024, 02:27:54 PM »

Here's where I show my ignorance: would Trump being held in contempt be factored into the sentence?

It can be, it'd be up to Justice Merchan.
VALibertarian
LordPhantasm8
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2461 on: May 13, 2024, 02:34:10 PM »

Out of curiosity, would would be the lightest (realistically speaking) sentence Trump could get?

mjba257
United States
« Reply #2462 on: May 13, 2024, 03:06:05 PM »

Out of curiosity, would would be the lightest (realistically speaking) sentence Trump could get?

Community service, plus a fine. Given his age, it probably wouldn't be anything physical, but could involve Trump having to volunteer somewhere like a children's hospital or a soup kitchen, etc. I work in healthcare and you wouldn't believe the amount of tedious stuff I have to do and how nice it would be for me to have a volunteer to do those tasks. That would be something I could see Trump doing.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2463 on: May 13, 2024, 03:15:18 PM »

Acquittal seems all but impossible to me based on the evidence and the makeup of the jury.

Why? Doesn't there only need to be 1 juror for acquittal?
Redban

« Reply #2464 on: May 13, 2024, 03:19:23 PM »

Why? Doesn't there only need to be 1 juror for acquittal?

That would be hung jury, not acquittal
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2465 on: May 13, 2024, 03:32:19 PM »

Cohen testified that he and Allen Weisselberg went talked to Trump directly for his sign off on the whole scheme!
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #2466 on: May 13, 2024, 03:58:53 PM »

It looks like the length of probation for a Class E felony would be 3 to 5 years. Standard conditions of probation would likely include community service, regular reporting to a probation officer, proof of employment, drug and alcohol testing, a prohibition on possessing any guns, and any other classes or counseling programs the court seems appropriate. Probation also usually comes with a curfew and restrictions on travel (with random home visits to check curfew compliance). His probation supervision could probably be transferred to Florida, but he might not be able to leave his county of residence without prior approval from his probation officer.

In short, felony probation is no cakewalk.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2467 on: May 13, 2024, 04:00:36 PM »

If Trump is convicted of a felony in New York, will that make him inelegible to vote in his home state of Florida?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2468 on: May 13, 2024, 04:13:01 PM »

If Trump is convicted of a felony in New York, will that make him inelegible to vote in his home state of Florida?

No. Because if he is, the Florida legislature will hurriedly enact legislation making clear that, while all other felons remain ineligible to vote, felons convicted of falsifying business records in aid of another crime in the state of New York are eligible to vote after all.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2469 on: May 13, 2024, 04:21:59 PM »

Cohen testified that he and Allen Weisselberg went talked to Trump directly for his sign off on the whole scheme!

Yeah, it seems as if Cohen delivered on what he was expected to deliver on today.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2470 on: May 13, 2024, 04:40:18 PM »

We've seen that Trump doesn't learn lessons from mild punishments. He needs to be at least threatened with prison time, I think it worked for the gag order...so far.

Anyway, Americans in polls suggested that a Trump conviction alone would be enough for them to move to Biden. I'm holding them to that, other than the 46-47% of the country that is too far-gone, of course.
Redban

« Reply #2471 on: May 13, 2024, 05:34:50 PM »

BRB - “Cohen delivered on what he was expected to deliver on today”

Mr. Fix-It’ Michael Cohen bombs on the stand, offers no new evidence to convict Trump

Bragg needed Cohen to clearly state that Trump intentionally committed fraud to conceal some still poorly defined crime.

The problem is that Cohen only confirmed that Trump knew he was going to pay for the nondisclosure agreement and that it would be buried before the election. None of that is unlawful.

In the course of that representation, Cohen also admitted to taping his client without his knowledge, a breathtaking breach of trust and confidentiality.

Cohen contradicted Davidson and insisted that he only wanted to be Trump’s personal lawyer.

He also admitted that he was unaware that the publisher of National Enquirer, David Pecker, had long killed negative stories about Trump and other celebrities for decades.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/13/opinion/mr-fix-it-michael-cohen-bombs-on-the-stand-offers-no-new-evidence-to-convict-trump/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2472 on: May 13, 2024, 05:47:40 PM »

Mr. Fix-It’ Michael Cohen bombs on the stand, offers no new evidence to convict Trump

Bragg needed Cohen to clearly state that Trump intentionally committed fraud to conceal some still poorly defined crime.

The problem is that Cohen only confirmed that Trump knew he was going to pay for the nondisclosure agreement and that it would be buried before the election. None of that is unlawful.

In the course of that representation, Cohen also admitted to taping his client without his knowledge, a breathtaking breach of trust and confidentiality.

Cohen contradicted Davidson and insisted that he only wanted to be Trump’s personal lawyer.

He also admitted that he was unaware that the publisher of National Enquirer, David Pecker, had long killed negative stories about Trump and other celebrities for decades.

https://nypost.com/2024/05/13/opinion/mr-fix-it-michael-cohen-bombs-on-the-stand-offers-no-new-evidence-to-convict-trump/

That's an opinion piece by Jonathan Turley, who's been consistently tweeting negative things about this case from the very beginning.  He doesn't seem to be a very unbiased commentator.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2473 on: May 13, 2024, 05:48:49 PM »

yeah I've heard commentators who said he did great on the stand, owned up to his wrongs, stayed calm and on message. Of course things could be potentially different on cross.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2474 on: May 13, 2024, 06:02:54 PM »

That's an opinion piece by Jonathan Turley, who's been consistently tweeting negative things about this case from the very beginning.  He doesn't seem to be a very unbiased commentator.

Exactly why I don't take redban seriously
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100 101 102 103 104 ... 111  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies