NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:23:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 174
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: NY: Convicted Felon Donald Trump!  (Read 106602 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: April 18, 2024, 01:34:34 PM »

Have you considered being normal about juries?

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

The defendant and his people simply choosing not to threaten the physical safety of the jurors trying him would be a good start.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1976 on: April 18, 2024, 01:37:16 PM »

The defendant and his people simply choosing not to threaten the physical safety of the jurors trying him would be a good start.

There were two anti-Trump plants in the jury. Should they just let them stay?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1977 on: April 18, 2024, 01:38:19 PM »

Any person who is not anti-Trump will not feel threatened.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1978 on: April 18, 2024, 01:38:46 PM »

You and I should have no idea who is serving on the jury.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1979 on: April 18, 2024, 01:40:03 PM »

You and I should have no idea who is serving on the jury.

I have no problem with that. But the press believes the public has the right to know.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1980 on: April 18, 2024, 01:41:33 PM »

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1981 on: April 18, 2024, 05:29:40 PM »

Test

Can folks post here now?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1982 on: April 18, 2024, 05:31:22 PM »

Yes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1983 on: April 18, 2024, 05:32:27 PM »

"Plants"?  You do understand that people are randomly selected for jury duty?  They don't volunteer for it?

Grow up.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1984 on: April 18, 2024, 05:34:48 PM »

"Plants"?  You do understand that people are randomly selected for jury duty?  They don't volunteer for it?

Grow up.

Yes. But if they are biased, they should excuse themselves. They shouldn't need encouragement from their friends and family to realize that, or investigation by the DA.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1985 on: April 18, 2024, 05:39:57 PM »

Grow up.

Yes. But if they are biased, they should excuse themselves. They shouldn't need encouragement from their friends and family to realize that, or investigation by the DA.

Sometimes people need further reflection, as appears to be the case with one of them.  But you could well have made your point without using the very loaded word "plants", which implies a deliberate, underhanded attempt to manipulate the jury makeup.  There is no indication that this was the case here.  If you'd said "anti-Trump jurors", I wouldn't have said a thing about it.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1986 on: April 18, 2024, 05:54:15 PM »

12 jurors + 1 alternate have been selected (includes replacing the 2 previously seated jurors that were dismissed). The main thread is locked for some reason.

Judge refused to order the prosecution to give the names of the first 3 witnesses to the defense, even on the promise that Trump would not "Truth" their names (lol), and then even on promise they would not be shared with Trump. Worried about their safety.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1987 on: April 18, 2024, 06:14:23 PM »

You could hold the trial anywhere in America, even the territories, and Trump's team would still try to doxx, harass, and threaten the jurors.

The best bet at this point might be to find some remote stone age tribe and try explaining to them about fraudulent business financial transactions.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1988 on: April 18, 2024, 06:50:59 PM »

I think some of you fail to understand a core principle of the jury system: jurors are allowed to have opinions about people involved in the case -- whether it's the defendant, the defense lawyers, the prosecutors, the judge, the arresting officer, or the person running the security checkpoint at the courthouse entrance.  Jurors are supposed to (and they swear to, at least in the jury oath in some jurisdictions) put aside any such opinions and reach a verdict solely on the evidence presented.  Their opinions get left outside on the courthouse steps. 

Most people, I think, are pretty good at this.  Some are not.  If a juror feels they cannot put aside their opinions, then they should be excused -- which is something that is routinely asked in jury questioning.  If the prosecutors or defense believe that a juror can't be fair for some reason, they can move to have the juror excused for cause; failing that, they can use one of their peremptory strikes if they just have a bad feeling about a particular juror.  But simply having an opinion about the defendant -- whether favorable or unfavorable -- or a political leaning is not sufficient cause by itself to remove them; there needs to be some other indication that they can't render a fair verdict.

If you think it's impossible to find a fair jury even for a famous defendant, then you really don't believe in the jury system (and, I suspect, you don't have much faith in people at all).  Believing that jurors shouldn't have opinions or political leanings is as misguided and unrealistic as believing that police officers, judges, or prosecutors shouldn't either.  Their opinions don't matter as long as they can do their job fairly.  Most of them do, and those that don't should be removed from their jobs.  Being a juror is just another job (a short-term, low-paying one) in the same category.

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1989 on: April 18, 2024, 07:24:46 PM »

Grow up.

These people weren't "biased," they were understandably scared of their lives being ruined by this (or worse). I would never agree to be on this jury for that reason. We already know what the MAGA cult will do to innocent people who were just doing their jobs correctly.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1990 on: April 18, 2024, 07:27:33 PM »

I think some of you fail to understand a core principle of the jury system: jurors are allowed to have opinions about people involved in the case -- whether it's the defendant, the defense lawyers, the prosecutors, the judge, the arresting officer, or the person running the security checkpoint at the courthouse entrance.  Jurors are supposed to (and they swear to, at least in the jury oath in some jurisdictions) put aside any such opinions and reach a verdict solely on the evidence presented.  Their opinions get left outside on the courthouse steps. 

Most people, I think, are pretty good at this.  Some are not.  If a juror feels they cannot put aside their opinions, then they should be excused -- which is something that is routinely asked in jury questioning.  If the prosecutors or defense believe that a juror can't be fair for some reason, they can move to have the juror excused for cause; failing that, they can use one of their peremptory strikes if they just have a bad feeling about a particular juror.  But simply having an opinion about the defendant -- whether favorable or unfavorable -- or a political leaning is not sufficient cause by itself to remove them; there needs to be some other indication that they can't render a fair verdict.

If you think it's impossible to find a fair jury even for a famous defendant, then you really don't believe in the jury system (and, I suspect, you don't have much faith in people at all).  Believing that jurors shouldn't have opinions or political leanings is as misguided and unrealistic as believing that police officers, judges, or prosecutors shouldn't either.  Their opinions don't matter as long as they can do their job fairly.  Most of them do, and those that don't should be removed from their jobs.  Being a juror is just another job (a short-term, low-paying one) in the same category.

If that is so, then let's move the trial to a 50-50 jurisdiction somewhere upstate.
The opinions of jurors don't matter as long as they can do their job fairly.

Or better yet, let's move the trial to rural Texas.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1991 on: April 18, 2024, 07:30:12 PM »

Grow up.

These people weren't "biased," they were understandably scared of their lives being ruined by this (or worse). I would never agree to be on this jury for that reason. We already know what the MAGA cult will do to innocent people who were just doing their jobs correctly.

I already posted this, but I will repeat for you.

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1992 on: April 18, 2024, 07:31:55 PM »

It would have to be somewhere in New York so Texas is not an option. The defense would have to show they could get a fairer trial else. The political leanings of a location is not a factor in that. Media coverage could be. But heavy media coverage of Trump is ubiquitous. So it really doesn't matter.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1993 on: April 18, 2024, 07:35:37 PM »

It would have to be somewhere in New York so Texas is not an option. The defense would have to show they could get a fairer trial else. The political leanings of a location is not a factor in that. Media coverage could be. But heavy media coverage of Trump is ubiquitous. So it really doesn't matter.

The political leanings must be a factor when the defendant is the nominee of one of the parties.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1994 on: April 18, 2024, 07:39:29 PM »

Grow up.

Wrong.  Any person who is even open to the possibility of convicting Trump (and any fair juror should be open to either conviction or acquittal going in!) knows they have the possibility of being threatened if they vote to convict.

Now ask the next question: why should any potential juror -- anti-Trump or otherwise -- feel threatened?  Do you think it's okay that anti-Trump jurors would feel threatened?

Whether you intended it or not, you just put your finger on a fundamental problem with Trump and his followers: they're willing to threaten, intimidate, and engage in violence against any threat to their leader!  If you don't see this as the enormous threat to democracy that it is, I don't know what to say.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1995 on: April 18, 2024, 07:45:54 PM »

Mods, might be a good time to update the thread title, since the trial is underway and a jury has been selected (other than the few remaining alternates)?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1996 on: April 18, 2024, 07:51:34 PM »

jesus christ what the hell

It's illegal to threaten ANYONE on a jury

it's the role of the attorneys and the judge to eliminate potentially biased jurors through the process of voire dire

Even if they're the most "anti-trump" person on the planet it's still extremely illegal and insane for partisans like you to take the matter into their own hands and form a vigilante mob to threaten and intimidate them, utterly toxic to the rule of law
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1997 on: April 18, 2024, 07:53:12 PM »

The political leanings must be a factor when the defendant is the nominee of one of the parties.

Is there some sort of reason why this "must be" the case other than the fact that you say so?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1998 on: April 18, 2024, 07:55:02 PM »

Grow up.

You can post it 10,000 times if you want to, and you'll never be right. If this jury finds Trump guilty, regardless of the politics of the jurors, regardless of the evidence, regardless of anything, those jurors are going to be suffering for it forever.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1999 on: April 18, 2024, 07:56:45 PM »

Can you imagine if Democrats (including MSNBC hosts) were doxxing and threatening jurors who had previously voted for Trump and then said "Any person who is not pro-Trump will not feel threatened!" ?
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 174  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies