NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:23:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 88
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 61436 times)
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: March 29, 2023, 11:51:38 AM »

Might’ve been a fundraising ploy. Doesn’t seem this is happening.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #326 on: March 29, 2023, 12:22:43 PM »

Might’ve been a fundraising ploy. Doesn’t seem this is happening.

I wouldn't go that far yet.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #327 on: March 29, 2023, 12:24:00 PM »

NY grand jury investigating Trump will break for most of April, court source says

The Manhattan grand jury hearing the hush money case involving former President Donald Trump is currently scheduled to break after April 5 and restart later in the month, a court administration source told CNN.

It is not immediately clear whether the grand jury will hear the Trump case again before April 5.

If the grand jury does not hear the case again for several weeks, it will pause what had been a wave of anticipation that a former president could be indicted for the first time in American history. Trump himself incorrectly predicted he would be arrested last week amid news reports about security preparations being made in the event of an indictment.

Grand jury proceedings are secret and subject to change.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s investigation into Trump had appeared to be nearing a conclusion earlier this month after the former president was invited to testify before the grand jury.

Since then, two more witnesses have testified, including lawyer Robert Costello, who appeared on Trump’s behalf. On Monday, the grand jury heard testimony from David Pecker, the former chairman of the publisher of the National Enquirer who played a key role in the hush money payment.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/29/politics/trump-grand-jury-april-break/index.html
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #328 on: March 29, 2023, 01:14:46 PM »

Just as I suspect. Trump will never be arrested. He’ll never be charged. It’s been fantasy talk since 2016
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #329 on: March 29, 2023, 01:25:09 PM »

Just as I suspect. Trump will never be arrested. He’ll never be charged. It’s been fantasy talk since 2016
Breaking until April is closing the case now?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #330 on: March 29, 2023, 01:30:12 PM »

This is so annoying and frustrating Trump has never paid a price other than losing reelection by a larger that should have been greater for any of his wrongdoings. I understand that investigations need to be run properly and thoroughly, but c'mon, this is turning into a circus. For how long is it known that he made these hush money payments? And what about January 6, where all his calls for violence are literally on video/tape?
Redban

« Reply #331 on: March 29, 2023, 02:35:42 PM »

This is so annoying and frustrating Trump has never paid a price other than losing reelection by a larger that should have been greater for any of his wrongdoings. I understand that investigations need to be run properly and thoroughly, but c'mon, this is turning into a circus. For how long is it known that he made these hush money payments? And what about January 6, where all his calls for violence are literally on video/tape?

Dang, relax brah. This you right now?

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #332 on: March 29, 2023, 02:50:29 PM »

The grand jury keeps getting more an more incompetent, yet an indictment is supposed to "hurt" him.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #333 on: March 29, 2023, 02:53:52 PM »

The grand jury keeps getting more an more incompetent, yet an indictment is supposed to "hurt" him.

No evidence this is their doing. It's possible they have a ton of questions or want to hear from more witnesses, but more likely Bragg hasn't asked them for an indictment yet.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #334 on: March 29, 2023, 02:56:38 PM »

What the hell are you even talking about? What "incompetence" are you referring to?

All that happened is Trump claimed, out of the blue, that he was going to be arrested, and then he wasn't.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #335 on: March 29, 2023, 03:11:39 PM »

What the hell are you even talking about? What "incompetence" are you referring to?

All that happened is Trump claimed, out of the blue, that he was going to be arrested, and then he wasn't.

This times 10.

I'm going to tell you personally as a former full-time grand jury prosecutor. If a prosecutor asks a grand jury to indict a defendant on criminal charges a b and c, they will literally more than 99% of the time get the indictment they ask for.  Now, maybe this might be an exception because it is such an incredibly complex and high profile case, but I will surely bet you the only reason there is no indictment issued at this time is because Bragg hasn't asked for one.

So the only way Trump isn't getting indicted is if Bragg decides not to request one. Anyone want to bet the over / under on that?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #336 on: March 29, 2023, 03:34:57 PM »

Trump spent all this time hyping up the New York case and it's probably more likely at this point that Fulton County indicts first.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #337 on: March 29, 2023, 03:43:59 PM »

This times 10.

I'm going to tell you personally as a former full-time grand jury prosecutor. If a prosecutor asks a grand jury to indict a defendant on criminal charges a b and c, they will literally more than 99% of the time get the indictment they ask for.  Now, maybe this might be an exception because it is such an incredibly complex and high profile case, but I will surely bet you the only reason there is no indictment issued at this time is because Bragg hasn't asked for one.

So the only way Trump isn't getting indicted is if Bragg decides not to request one. Anyone want to bet the over / under on that?

Actually on the grand jury I was on, we refused to indict except on drug possession, but not aggravated assault and battery. I told the DA whom I coincidentally had interned with not long before, what a cf it was, and he agreed with me. It's lonely at the top.  Angel

It is hard to separate Bragg from the grand jury. If Bragg gets vibes that the grand jury is restless, he might step back. But of course his major motivation is to avoid an indictment where the prosecution thereafter fails. hat would be an utter disaster as I am sure Bragg appreciates.

Personally, I think the case sucks as a legal matter, and from what I know at present would reverse any conviction on appeal if on the appeals court. Granted there are things that the DA might know that the press does not know.

The Trump antics have less impact than a fart in a windstorm. No question about that. His circus act has a rather limited appeal.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #338 on: March 29, 2023, 03:44:54 PM »

It's also possible (although I think unlikely since we know they were still hearing witnesses recently) that the grand jury has already voted and there's a sealed indictment waiting to be unveiled at a time of the DA's choosing.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #339 on: March 29, 2023, 04:00:33 PM »

Techincally, no. I personally suspect the whole "Trump will be arrested Tuesday" will end up a nothing burger.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #340 on: March 29, 2023, 04:03:09 PM »

As nice as it would be to see Trump in handcuffs, the hush money payments probably won't hold up in appeals court. Or the court of public opinion. The Fulton County case is both legally sound and good public relations wise.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #341 on: March 29, 2023, 06:23:33 PM »

As nice as it would be to see Trump in handcuffs, the hush money payments probably won't hold up in appeals court. Or the court of public opinion. The Fulton County case is both legally sound and good public relations wise.

The court of public opinion will probably not care outside of his base and biggest detractors.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2023, 06:57:48 PM »

The court of public opinion will probably not care outside of his base and biggest detractors.
So basically, nothing stopping 45-47% of the country voting for him again in 2024 as if nothing happened. Sounds right
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2023, 08:02:05 PM »

Techincally, no. I personally suspect the whole "Trump will be arrested Tuesday" will end up a nothing burger.

You know what, I have to agree with you there. Donald Trump will not be arrested last Tuesday.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2023, 08:08:04 PM »

You know what, I have to agree with you there. Donald Trump will not be arrested last Tuesday.
I meant this whole story will be a nothing burger. How many "the walls are closing in" stories have we gotten since 2016?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2023, 09:18:57 PM »

Logically that's not an argument though for nothing happening here.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #346 on: March 30, 2023, 12:02:03 AM »

Allen Weisselberg just fired his Trump-funded lawyers — is he about to flip?
Sources are telling WNBC that Allen Weisselberg, the former CFO of the Trump Organization, has fired his Trump Org lawyers.

Weisselberg is not the first one to do something like this. Michael Cohen did it just before he flipped on Trump. Cassidy Hutchinson had a Trump-funded lawyer before she fired him and got another lawyer so she could tell the Jan. 6 investigatory committee the truth about what she learned working for former chief of staff Mark Meadows. Each time a Trump-funded lawyer was fired, it has been an indication that those previous allies were about to turn.

Weisselberg is serving a five-month sentence in Rikers Island Prison, known for being one of the most violent prisons in America. MSNBC's Ali Velshi noted that if someone was trying to get Weisselberg to flip, now would be the time. Last month, the New York Times reported that the Manhattan prosecutor's office was pondering whether to file new charges against Weisselberg for fraud.

Nick Gravante and Mary Mulligan are no longer with Weisselberg.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/allen-weisselberg-just-fired-his-trump-funded-lawyers-is-he-about-to-flip/ar-AA19eYfv
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2023, 03:29:43 PM »

Manhattan DA is asking about hush money paid to a former Playboy model as part of the grand jury investigation into Donald Trump

Hmm...perhaps the investigation is wider than originally thought.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2023, 04:00:04 PM »

Trump will be dead by the time they're ready to indict him for anything.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2023, 04:05:59 PM »

NYPD has been ramping up security again today. It is believed to be precautionary. The GJ met today but were not expected to hear this case. They still meet Mon & Wed.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 88  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies