NY: Trump on Trial!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:24:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NY: Trump on Trial!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 89
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: NY: Trump on Trial!  (Read 62654 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1475 on: February 16, 2024, 09:52:23 AM »

The judge pushed back today on the notion that this case is a joke. He said he thinks that they are very serious charges. (The federal judge said the same thing when Trump tried to get this transferred to federal court.) So if you think the case is not a big deal, well, the person who's going to be sentencing Trump if convicted thinks it is.

People forget that Michael Cohen was sentenced to 3 years in federal prison for simply making these payments that Trump's now being charged for his part in the cover-up of. What a funny "joke."
Redban

« Reply #1476 on: February 17, 2024, 11:11:42 AM »

I got around to skimming Merchan’s denial of the motion to dismiss … I’m surprised this case held up to the motion. Back when the indictment happened last year, I thought this case had a great chance of being tossed on motion to dismiss. Some of the arguments that Merchan denied (eg prosecutors didn’t state the “other crime,” prosecutors try to use a federal crime to enforce a state crime etc) were the same arguments that, last year, I thought would win.

Since the case is going ahead, I believe Trump will be a convicted felon when this trial ends in April or May. I have no confidence in Trump, given that he is consistently been getting his ass kicked in court all over the country. So convicted felon status is coming

https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/press/PDFs/People-v-DonaldTrump2-15-24Decision.pdf
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1477 on: February 26, 2024, 01:56:35 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1478 on: February 26, 2024, 02:18:09 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1479 on: February 27, 2024, 12:34:38 PM »

Indictments without conviction is helping Trump, I suppose we gain seats if Trump is reelected but there is no guarantee

We will only gain seats in 26 due to public outcry of Trump pardon the insurrection, especially Enrique Torres
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1480 on: February 27, 2024, 07:25:50 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1481 on: March 08, 2024, 06:10:18 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1482 on: March 11, 2024, 12:00:04 PM »
« Edited: March 11, 2024, 12:14:58 PM by brucejoel99 »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1483 on: March 11, 2024, 01:58:22 PM »

I just realized only 2 weeks to go until Trump is on trial, for real. Wow!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #1484 on: March 11, 2024, 06:33:23 PM »

I just realized only 2 weeks to go until Trump is on trial, for real. Wow!

Maybe not.
He has raised this immunity question.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1485 on: March 11, 2024, 06:41:56 PM »

Nahh, he already waived his right to appeal the immunity question that he lost. And the statements can't come out of evidence because he was President, that's absurd. It's not happening.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1486 on: March 11, 2024, 09:25:28 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1487 on: March 12, 2024, 09:31:54 AM »

Donald Trump will get juror names at New York criminal trial but they’ll be anonymous to the public
Manhattan Judge Juan Manuel Merchan ruled Thursday to keep the yet-to-be-picked jury anonymous, with limited exceptions for the former president, his defense lawyers, prosecutors, jury consultants and legal staffs.

Only Trump’s lawyers and prosecutors will be allowed to know the addresses of the jurors’ homes and workplaces, Merchan said. Trump could risk forfeiting access to the names if he were to disclose them publicly.

Unless this changes, Judge Merchan will give a man on trial for illegally bribing a witness access to complete personal details on the jury.

These people's personal details will be widely, even if not publicly, disseminated, and they will be targeted by everyone from Christo-fascist billionaires to Russian intelligence.

I will be shocked if we get a guilty verdict. I suspect this trial is effectively over, and Bragg will be re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1488 on: March 12, 2024, 11:56:01 AM »

Not exactly, it says that he'll get their names (which is still way more than he should get), but not personal details, only the lawyers will. And if Trump reveals any he'll no longer have access and probably get some serious extra charges on top of that. Trump still shouldn't have access to even the names but this isn't that big of a security breach, especially considering the consequences if any names and especially personal details get disseminated.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1489 on: March 12, 2024, 02:50:17 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1490 on: March 12, 2024, 05:57:10 PM »

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1491 on: March 14, 2024, 02:14:39 PM »

The prosecution does not oppose a 30 day delay in the trial start because of 30 thousand pages of discovery they just handed over. The judge will likely grant that. It's not related to Trump's claim that some statements he made cannot come into evidence because of Presidential immunity.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1492 on: March 14, 2024, 03:22:15 PM »

NY prosecutors say they’re willing to delay Trump hush money trial until late April

The Manhattan District Attorney’s Office is willing to delay Donald Trump’s criminal hush money trial for up to 30 days, according to a court filing.

The trial is currently scheduled to start on March 25.

Trump’s defense teams have employed a strategy of consistently trying to delay the trials past the election and this unexpected move — by one of the prosecution teams – throws the date for what is supposed to be the first trial into question.

The proposed delay is to review new materials turned over by federal prosecutors this week, the DA’s office said.

The US attorney’s office sent about 31,000 pages of discovery material Wednesday and will have more to share, the new filing states.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/politics/hush-money-trial-delay

This material apparently relates to Michael Cohen that they just got from the Southern District of NY, that came from a subpoena by Trump's team a couple months ago, and that they refused to provide to the prosecutors last year.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1493 on: March 14, 2024, 03:44:14 PM »

So, delayed until April 29?

I guess there is time now for Trump's immunity claim to work its way up all the way to the SCOTUS.

And then, immediately after the SCOTUS ruling on immunity, Cannon will schedule her trial for Aug 12 and all other trials will have to wait for the Florida trial to finish.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1494 on: March 14, 2024, 03:46:33 PM »

I guess there is time now for Trump's immunity claim to work its way up all the way to the SCOTUS.

And then, immediately after the SCOTUS ruling on immunity, Cannon will schedule her trial for Aug 12 and all other trials will have to wait for the Florida trial to finish.

Why couldn't another trial be scheduled to start and finish before that?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1495 on: March 14, 2024, 03:49:30 PM »

Which other trial?
The Jan 6 trial is blocked awaiting the SCOTUS immunity opinion.
The Georgia trial cannot be scheduled earlier than September 2024.
The NY trial will be delayed due to Trump's immunity claim, again until the SCOTUS decides that.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1496 on: March 14, 2024, 03:59:26 PM »

Which other trial?
The Jan 6 trial is blocked awaiting the SCOTUS immunity opinion.
The Georgia trial cannot be scheduled earlier than September 2024.
The NY trial will be delayed due to Trump's immunity claim, again until the SCOTUS decides that.

Trump has asked the NY judge to delay trial pending the immunity decision, but the judge has yet to rule on that.  Trump reportedly waived his right to raise the immunity defense earlier in the case:

Eisen pointed to a decision by U.S. District Court Judge Alvin Hellerstein on July 19, 2023, which explicitly says that Trump had waived his presidential immunity argument in the New York matter. Although Trump began to appeal that decision, which denied his request to move the case to federal court, he withdrew the appeal in November.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/11/trump-new-york-criminal-trial-scotus-immunity/
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1497 on: March 14, 2024, 04:00:44 PM »

As I told you before, he already waived his right to appeal his immunity claim, that he lost on, in this case. So that's done. What he's claiming now is that certain statements he made while President can't come in as evidence because of Presidential immunity. It will be denied by Merchan. It's also not a question the Supreme Court is considering in the J6 immunity appeal they will be hearing April 22. Even if they were to rule the J6 case has to be thrown out it doesn't have direct bearing on this case because only some of the charged conduct occurred while he was President and the Federal courts have already ruled they weren't official acts. (Again, SCOTUS is weighing whether he is immune from prosecution for official acts). And he waived his right to appeal that!
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #1498 on: March 14, 2024, 04:08:25 PM »

As I told you before, he already waived his right to appeal his immunity claim, that he lost on, in this case. So that's done. What he's claiming now is that certain statements he made while President can't come in as evidence because of Presidential immunity. It will be denied by Merchan. It's also not a question the Supreme Court is considering in the J6 immunity appeal they will be hearing April 22. Even if they were to rule the J6 case has to be thrown out it doesn't have direct bearing on this case because only some of the charged conduct occurred while he was President and the Federal courts have already ruled they weren't official acts. (Again, SCOTUS is weighing whether he is immune from prosecution for official acts). And he waived his right to appeal that!

Look, he doesn't have immunity for the NY case. Even he didn't believe he had immunity.
However, his claim may still delay the trial as it is an important pre-trial question that needs to be answered.
Otherwise, his defense will be compromised.

That is why I think he will be able to delay the trial for a while.
He only needs to delay the trial enough so that Cannon can schedule her trial and that will preclude the NY trial from starting.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1499 on: March 14, 2024, 04:22:53 PM »

I don't see how it's going to delay the trial. He can just rule against it and that's it. Trump will still be able to appeal it after the trial. Not everything that could possibly affect the trial is eligible to be appealed before hand. His claim is borderline frivolous.

Cannon's trial does not automatically take precedence because it's Federal. Merchan would have to defer to her there, which yes is the way it usually goes, but here you are theorizing that she's gaming the system to keep Trump from going to trial at all, so he surely knows that's a possiblity too.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 ... 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies