For how many years will President Biden have a Democratic trifecta for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:13:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  For how many years will President Biden have a Democratic trifecta for?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long will Biden have a Democratic trifecta for?
2 years (he loses re-election/he wins GOP controls at least one chamber from 2025-2029)

4 years

6 years

Other (special election wild card pick)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: For how many years will President Biden have a Democratic trifecta for?  (Read 629 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 13, 2023, 11:06:20 PM »

Vote and discuss.

I think that the Democrats will flip the House and lose the Senate in 2024 (fun fact, if this happens that would be the first time in American history that both chambers flipped in the same cycle) while Biden wins re-election. I think that there's also a good chance that Democrats win back the Senate in 2026 because of how good the map is for them, and they could also narrowly flip back the House. My prediction is 4 years, but what do you think?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 02:17:32 PM »

Biden is re-elected in 2024 alongside a very slim D majority in the House, but Democrats lose the Senate with losses in MT and WV (at least.)

The Republicans then win both Houses in 2026.  This results in Biden having been president under every possible combination of House/Senate control.   
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 02:31:53 PM »

This results in Biden having been president under every possible combination of House/Senate control. 

Has any President had that happen before?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 02:44:22 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2023, 03:33:35 PM by Vosem »

Vote and discuss.

I think that the Democrats will flip the House and lose the Senate in 2024 (fun fact, if this happens that would be the first time in American history that both chambers flipped in the same cycle) while Biden wins re-election. I think that there's also a good chance that Democrats win back the Senate in 2026 because of how good the map is for them, and they could also narrowly flip back the House. My prediction is 4 years, but what do you think?

...is it? The Maine seat is kind of sui generis (I don't think Collins loses in a Democratic midterm, but in a Republican one my guess is she's doomed and probably retires), and North Carolina is a very plausible Democratic target, but the pickings get really slim after that. AK/IA/KS are probably all conceivable in enormous landslides, but even at a replay of 2018 with a D+8 environment my guess is probably only 1 out of the 3 flip, and I have no particular guess on which one.

GOP pickup opportunities are sort of slim too -- Georgia is by far the obvious one, but it's far from guaranteed (and also heavily dependent on turnout patterns by education and race; I can imagine Ossoff winning comfortably in an otherwise-bad Biden midterm and I can imagine him losing Bill-Nelson-style in a disastrous Republican midterm which Democrats win elsewhere), and beyond that even for a red wave only Michigan is obvious. (NH is viable as an open seat in a good GOP year but is fool's gold if Shaheen runs again. MN/NM/VA all could be a thing in different sorts of red waves, but my guess is that at a 2014-ish R+5 environment only like 0.5/3 flip, and at 2010-ish R+7 only 1.5/3 do.

Under the present demographic alignment, the 2014/2020/2026 cycle is really starved for pickup opportunities for either party. (Three of the five seats to flip in 2020 were either specials themselves or reverting an earlier weird special; only two seats actually flipped. Because hardly any swing states voted!)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies