2002 election if John McCain was President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:54:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2002 election if John McCain was President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2002 election if John McCain was President  (Read 827 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 11, 2023, 06:57:07 AM »

How would the 2002 midterms go with John McCain as President go??? Of course, 9/11 still happened on schedule as the attacks were planned by jihadists when Clinton was still President.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 07:01:21 AM »

How would the 2002 midterms go with John McCain as President go??? Of course, 9/11 still happened on schedule as the attacks were planned by jihadists when Clinton was still President.
Uh nothing would change. McCain was pro-war and the US was always gonna rally behind the flag (and the Republicans)!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:00:33 AM »

Uh nothing would change. McCain was pro-war and the US was always gonna rally behind the flag (and the Republicans)!

As President, John McCain adds even more foreign policy experience in the White House. Unlike Bush, he was from the very beginning in favor of the Homeland Security Department and the 9/11 Commission. And he would have sent enough troops to Tora Bora to surround Tora Bora and get Bin Laden

As a result, the GOP would perform even better in the 2002 midterms as it would have flipper South Dakota with John Thune and Louisiana with Suzanne Heik Terrell giving a 53-47 Republican Senate. In the House of Representatives, the Republicans win 242 seats
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 08:11:24 AM »

As President, John McCain adds even more foreign policy experience in the White House. Unlike Bush, he was from the very beginning in favor of the Homeland Security Department and the 9/11 Commission. And he would have sent enough troops to Tora Bora to surround Tora Bora and get Bin Laden

As a result, the GOP would perform even better in the 2002 midterms as it would have flipper South Dakota with John Thune and Louisiana with Suzanne Heik Terrell giving a 53-47 Republican Senate. In the House of Representatives, the Republicans win 242 seats
South Dakota would be possible but Louisiana might be a Dem hold. She had a rougly 40'000 vote buffer so I doubt McCain being president would eliminate that buffer. Though Johnson's approx. 600 vote buffer could easily be overcome.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 03:46:18 PM »

I think Dems would potentially be blown out even worse. I see the rally round the flag effect being longer lasting with McCain as he had more cross-cultural appeal then Bush and that would translate to even more socially liberal yet hawkish Democrats and independents being willing to vote Republican.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 04:04:27 PM »

I tend to go the other direction.  Bush animated social conservatives in a way McCain could not.  Democrats narrowly hold GA, MN, MO and possibly even pick-up NH and CO. 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2023, 04:45:51 PM »

I tend to go the other direction.  Bush animated social conservatives in a way McCain could not.  Democrats narrowly hold GA, MN, MO and possibly even pick-up NH and CO. 

After 9/11 though , McCain probably gets an even larger rally around the flag bump than W and Enron probably affects him less than it effected W(was minimal but still helped the Dems).

I’d say Republicans potentially may pick up NJ in this TL though they might lose GA as McCain led gop wouldn’t play as dirty against Cleland
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2023, 09:14:48 PM »

Nothing changes
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 01:23:17 PM »

I tend to go the other direction.  Bush animated social conservatives in a way McCain could not.  Democrats narrowly hold GA, MN, MO and possibly even pick-up NH and CO.  

I agree with this sentiment, just further down the road. McCain would probably enjoy more support in the immediate post-9/11 years but fall even harder by 2008 precisely because his strategy would take the base for granted.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 10:19:51 PM »

South Dakota would be possible but Louisiana might be a Dem hold. She had a rougly 40'000 vote buffer so I doubt McCain being president would eliminate that buffer. Though Johnson's approx. 600 vote buffer could easily be overcome.

I think Landrieu wins because runoffs tend to go opposite the party that did well on Election Day....until 2020s Georgia Senate races that Trump gets involved in.

Now if the Democrats actually are the big winners in 2002 instead, then Landrieu wins without a runoff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies