Miami Dade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Miami Dade
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Miami Dade  (Read 635 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2023, 07:37:19 AM »

I’m sure there are a million threads on this but…. it’s on my mind as I’m vacationing in Miami for a week and then Palm Beach County next week.

We all know what’s happened to Florida. And I get that with so many R leaning people moving during Covid. Well a lot of talk was about how DeSantis flipped Miami Dade. But what some don’t realize is…. Rubio won Miami-Dade also. How the hell is that possible?

Culturally Miami-Dade is very different from the rest of Florida - especially North Florida. And the fact Broward and Palm Beach stayed blue but Miami Dade flipped. Any in-depth explanations….?
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 12:58:28 PM »

Isn’t it as simple as Miami-Dade being very Cuban?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 01:32:19 PM »

I’m sure there are a million threads on this but…. it’s on my mind as I’m vacationing in Miami for a week and then Palm Beach County next week.

We all know what’s happened to Florida. And I get that with so many R leaning people moving during Covid. Well a lot of talk was about how DeSantis flipped Miami Dade. But what some don’t realize is…. Rubio won Miami-Dade also. How the hell is that possible?

Culturally Miami-Dade is very different from the rest of Florida - especially North Florida. And the fact Broward and Palm Beach stayed blue but Miami Dade flipped. Any in-depth explanations….?

The Cuban population shifted hard and it is larger in Miami-Dade than anywhere else is the simplest explanation.    Also important to note that Broward has pretty constantly been the most Democratic of the big three counties in SE Florida.   As far as Palm Beach goes, DeSantis did win Palm Beach Countyand Rubio only lost it by 0.4 points, so it wasn't like it went strongly Democratic in 2022.  It was 9-10 points more Democratic than Miami-Dade in both races, it was about 6 points more Democratic in 2020 (the stronger shift in Miami-Dade likely due to the previously mentioned Cuban shift)

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 10:39:02 PM »

Palm Beach also is trending R, which is honestly a bit more odd than the Miami Dade thing.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 10:52:52 PM »

Isn’t it as simple as Miami-Dade being very Cuban?
Not just Cuban, there are many other ethnic hispanic groups. Puerto Ricans, Colombians, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Haitians, etc. Cubans are the largest and most prominent hispanic group in the county, but those other ones also swung R heavily which is why the county has moved right significantly especially for Rubio. Unlike 2016 where he won Cubans, and struggled with the other groups, he was able to win all of these in 2022 (except Haitians, but still did better with them) and flip the county.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2023, 11:32:42 PM »

Palm Beach also is trending R, which is honestly a bit more odd than the Miami Dade thing.

I feel like this can’t be solely due to Don Giovanni’s post-White House retinue. Although I’ll defer to actual South Floridians like Abdullah and Hollywood on precinct-level shifts and trends.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 02:00:17 AM »

According to a now-retired FL-based Democratic strategist, this can be partly attributed to Democrats losing ground with white voters without higher education, and there is a substantial share of this demographic group in Palm Beach (especially among retirees).
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 09:44:23 PM »

According to a now-retired FL-based Democratic strategist, this can be partly attributed to Democrats losing ground with white voters without higher education, and there is a substantial share of this demographic group in Palm Beach (especially among retirees).
I would expect generational turnover is also a factor here.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2023, 01:59:08 PM »

Northeastern/Midwestern snow birds have been trending R too
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies