The first six presidents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:11:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The first six presidents
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who was the worst?
Washington

Adams 1

Jefferson

Madison

Monroe

JQ Adams 2

They were all great

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: The first six presidents  (Read 1170 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 09, 2023, 05:27:26 PM »

I wonder how this will go.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 06:41:36 PM »

Adams' presidency is the closest the US came to becoming an authoritarian regime (although that might change after 2024... sigh...). He's easily one of the worst Presidents period.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 09:30:48 PM »

Worst Presidency would be Adams, worst as a person would be Jefferson.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 11:07:44 PM »

Without a doubt Adams
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 09:05:28 PM »

Either Adams or James M.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 04:57:14 PM »

which jm?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 02:47:43 PM »

This.  Even if you like the guy, I think it's hard to argue that Adams had the "worst" Presidency of these guys.  Personally, I think historians are unfairly harsh on Madison and tend to compare him to his fellow Virginians in this era and he looks worse because of it.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2023, 03:34:52 PM »

This.  Even if you like the guy, I think it's hard to argue that Adams had the "worst" Presidency of these guys.  Personally, I think historians are unfairly harsh on Madison and tend to compare him to his fellow Virginians in this era and he looks worse because of it.

Why do you think historians treat Madison harshly? The War of 1812 came close to being an abject disaster for the United States, and we won only "won" that war more out of luck than anything else. Madison ought to shoulder some of the blame for that, along with the War Hawks like Henry Clay.

I still think Adams was the worst President of the era but Madison was a poor wartime leader for sure.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 04:02:53 PM »

Being the only president to have the nation's capital sacked under his watch will always be a really really hard mark for Madison.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 11:13:18 PM »

Why do you think historians treat Madison harshly? The War of 1812 came close to being an abject disaster for the United States, and we won only "won" that war more out of luck than anything else. Madison ought to shoulder some of the blame for that, along with the War Hawks like Henry Clay.

I still think Adams was the worst President of the era but Madison was a poor wartime leader for sure.

The US did have some legitimate grievances against the British at that point to be fair. Impressment and the forts come to mind. Any European power at the time would have certainly demanded better treatment or gone to war to get it.

As for the US military's performance, the resistance to a standing Army meant that the military tradition in terms of leadership of large (for the time, a couple thousand) units was minimal and anyone who had that experience from the Revolution was dead or too old.

This is not unique to the War of 1812, Lincoln cycled through many bad commanders. Washington had to deal with a number of crappy ones in the Revolution until he finally got his people in key commands and so forth. At the beginning of World War II, the US sacked many of this division level commanders of the national guard to try and head this problem off at the past.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2023, 11:15:16 PM »

This.  Even if you like the guy, I think it's hard to argue that Adams had the "worst" Presidency of these guys.  Personally, I think historians are unfairly harsh on Madison and tend to compare him to his fellow Virginians in this era and he looks worse because of it.

Being the only president to have the nation's capital sacked under his watch will always be a really really hard mark for Madison.

But this was not the first time that the US capital was taken by a hostile foreign power. That would be the British when they took Philadelphia in 1777, after Washington allowed himself to be outflanked at Brandywine.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 07:20:34 AM »

This.  Even if you like the guy, I think it's hard to argue that Adams had the "worst" Presidency of these guys.  Personally, I think historians are unfairly harsh on Madison and tend to compare him to his fellow Virginians in this era and he looks worse because of it.

But this was not the first time that the US capital was taken by a hostile foreign power. That would be the British when they took Philadelphia in 1777, after Washington allowed himself to be outflanked at Brandywine.

I wouldn't consider the British to have been a "foreign" power in 1777.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies