Political Future of Keisha Lance Bottoms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:46:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Political Future of Keisha Lance Bottoms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Political Future of Keisha Lance Bottoms  (Read 1469 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2023, 09:03:11 PM »

Something I realized is that in 2016 out of the five "major" (LOL) Democratic candidates (as in ones that made the debates) three of them were former mayors (Bernie Sanders, Martin O'Malley and Lincoln Chafee.)

Yes counting Chafee as a "major" candidate (as well as Jim Webb) seems pretty laughable, but as said this is based on the ones that made debates.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 10:14:48 AM »

Something I realized is that in 2016 out of the five "major" (LOL) Democratic candidates (as in ones that made the debates) three of them were former mayors (Bernie Sanders, Martin O'Malley and Lincoln Chafee.)

Yes counting Chafee as a "major" candidate (as well as Jim Webb) seems pretty laughable, but as said this is based on the ones that made debates.

How many presidents have ever served as a mayor?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »

I think there's pretty much none. Andrew Johnson was briefly small town mayor before he was elected to congress.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 10:26:21 AM »

I think there's pretty much none. Andrew Johnson was briefly small town mayor before he was elected to congress.

Johnson himself was never even elected president, LOL

The only elected president to have any experience as a mayor is Grover Cleveland, who was mayor of Buffalo for less than a year in 1882.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2023, 09:30:02 AM »

The only elected president to have any experience as a mayor is Grover Cleveland, who was mayor of Buffalo for less than a year in 1882.

CLvin Coolidge was a mayor too for two years
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 10:31:11 PM »

None. It's unclear why people on this forum are fascinated with her. In the 2017 mayoral election she barely beat Mary Norwood, who was unable to state definitively that she was not a Republican. She's not good at electoral politics and if we ever hear from her again it'll be because she's in a corporate job.

This is largely correct, but Mary Norwood is an excellent retail politician who put in the work representing all Atlantans on the City Council for 12+ years.  She came within 1,000 votes of beating Kasim Reed in 2009. 

I agree, but I'd point out that Reed was also an unimpressive opponent. Typically urban political machines don't churn out electoral juggernauts. It's telling that out of the four black candidates to win statewide elected office in Georgia (Thurbert Baker, David Burgess, Mike Thurmond, and Raphael Warnock), all lived in the Atlanta area but none were Atlanta politicians: Baker and Thurmond are from DeKalb County, while Burgess and Warnock were not politicians. I am skeptical that the state electorate would be receptive to anyone from Atlanta's ruling class.

I don't think that dynamic is unique to Georgia, however.  Politicos who cut their teeth at the local level just don't work with an issue set that is very transferable to statewide or Federal office.  The list of mayors who are able to successfully run statewide is quite small (I can currently only think of O'Malley and Hickenlooper as two, recent examples.) 
Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Richard Lugar.

Calvin Coolidge!

John Fetterman, Bill Haslam and Dan Malloy.

Bob Corker
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 10:33:46 PM »

CLvin Coolidge was a mayor too for two years

So only three presidents ever previously served as mayor. What's the point here again?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies