Political Future of Keisha Lance Bottoms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:44:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Political Future of Keisha Lance Bottoms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Political Future of Keisha Lance Bottoms  (Read 1468 times)
MargieCat
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2023, 11:22:45 PM »
« edited: March 11, 2023, 10:18:12 PM by MargieCat »

She's leaving the Biden administration.

Yesterday, she told Al Sharpton that she has not ruled out another run for office.

I wonder if she is thinking of running in 2026 for governor?

Maybe an Atlanta area house seat?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 11:40:45 PM »
« Edited: March 06, 2023, 11:56:13 PM by Peltola for God Empress »

David Scott is in his late 70s and Hank Johnson will be 70 next election, so either of them could retire.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 11:43:01 PM »

She'll be the Democratic nominee for Governor in 2026 if she wants it.

Otherwise, possibly a Senate seat is in her future (Harris/Warnock and Harris/Ossoff are both very plausible tickets, either for 2024 or 2028).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 03:50:13 AM »

She would not win statewide office. I don’t see her holding any office ever.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 04:44:47 AM »

None. It's unclear why people on this forum are fascinated with her. In the 2017 mayoral election she barely beat Mary Norwood, who was unable to state definitively that she was not a Republican. She's not good at electoral politics and if we ever hear from her again it'll be because she's in a corporate job.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 11:46:59 AM »

Otherwise, possibly a Senate seat is in her future (Harris/Warnock and Harris/Ossoff are both very plausible tickets, either for 2024 or 2028).

I don’t think she’ll be the Gubernatorial nominee. I think Lucy McBath gets that.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2023, 11:03:08 PM »

None. It's unclear why people on this forum are fascinated with her. In the 2017 mayoral election she barely beat Mary Norwood, who was unable to state definitively that she was not a Republican. She's not good at electoral politics and if we ever hear from her again it'll be because she's in a corporate job.

This is largely correct, but Mary Norwood is an excellent retail politician who put in the work representing all Atlantans on the City Council for 12+ years.  She came within 1,000 votes of beating Kasim Reed in 2009. 
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2023, 11:15:09 PM »

I completely agree with these assessments. Beyond state legislature or whatever, I can't see her holding any other elected office again. She quit after 1 term when she would've had no problem seeking re-election and instead took an appointed role, only to quit that not long after. She wants the money now.

The only area I take some issue is with the Mary Norwood part. She also came in first (46%) in Round 1 in the 2009 mayoral election and caused a recount with Kasim Reed in the runoff, garnering 49.6% - the very same percentage she got against KLB in 2017 in the runoff.

Norwood was a very good campaigner and honestly had some legitimate claims to being independent. ATL is also a very bifurcated city along racial and class lines (though I repeat myself). Additionally, ATL is one of the gayest major cities in the country - around 15% LGBT - and Norwood has true LGBT community bonafides dating back decades: certainly more than the average black ATL Democrat. Lots of wealthy gay liberals were enthusiastic about backing her both times and this group punches above its weight in off-year municipals. This specific dynamic cannot be overstated.

Take income, race, sexual orientation, officially non-partisan labeling and turnout differentials in the city, and it's not hard to see how an 80% Democratic city could shift to a 55/45 result in a 1v1 outcome. Norwood's campaign skills were responsible for the rest. I don't think KLB did all that bad given these localized and specific scenarios, but it's clear she's done with elected politics and doesn't have an innate skill-set for it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2023, 11:28:13 PM »

This is largely correct, but Mary Norwood is an excellent retail politician who put in the work representing all Atlantans on the City Council for 12+ years.  She came within 1,000 votes of beating Kasim Reed in 2009.  

I agree, but I'd point out that Reed was also an unimpressive opponent. Typically urban political machines don't churn out electoral juggernauts. It's telling that out of the four black candidates to win statewide elected office in Georgia (Thurbert Baker, David Burgess, Mike Thurmond, and Raphael Warnock), all lived in the Atlanta area but none were Atlanta politicians: Baker and Thurmond are from DeKalb County, while Burgess and Warnock were not politicians. I am skeptical that the state electorate would be receptive to anyone from Atlanta's ruling class.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2023, 11:41:37 PM »

Didn't Mary Norwood sign an affidavit in support of one of Trump's lawsuits to overturn Georgia's results?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 11:41:33 AM »

This is largely correct, but Mary Norwood is an excellent retail politician who put in the work representing all Atlantans on the City Council for 12+ years.  She came within 1,000 votes of beating Kasim Reed in 2009. 

I agree, but I'd point out that Reed was also an unimpressive opponent. Typically urban political machines don't churn out electoral juggernauts. It's telling that out of the four black candidates to win statewide elected office in Georgia (Thurbert Baker, David Burgess, Mike Thurmond, and Raphael Warnock), all lived in the Atlanta area but none were Atlanta politicians: Baker and Thurmond are from DeKalb County, while Burgess and Warnock were not politicians. I am skeptical that the state electorate would be receptive to anyone from Atlanta's ruling class.

I don't think that dynamic is unique to Georgia, however.  Politicos who cut their teeth at the local level just don't work with an issue set that is very transferable to statewide or Federal office.  The list of mayors who are able to successfully run statewide is quite small (I can currently only think of O'Malley and Hickenlooper as two, recent examples.) 
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 02:11:20 PM »

I don't think that dynamic is unique to Georgia, however.  Politicos who cut their teeth at the local level just don't work with an issue set that is very transferable to statewide or Federal office.  The list of mayors who are able to successfully run statewide is quite small (I can currently only think of O'Malley and Hickenlooper as two, recent examples.) 
Cory Booker.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 02:51:56 PM »

I think you're right. She might be the gubernatorial nominee in 2026, but she might very well lose even with Ossoff holding on. Unless the Republicans nominate a complete wacko. Brad Raffensberger might even beat her in a Republican midterm. And I actually like her.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2023, 07:56:43 PM »

The Biden administration want to keep her on for its 2024 re-election campaign:

Keisha Lance Bottoms is leaving the W.H. but Biden team eyes 2024 role for her

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2023, 11:59:50 AM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2023, 12:08:14 PM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Exceptions only prove the rule. 
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2023, 12:52:16 PM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Richard Lugar.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2023, 12:54:51 PM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Richard Lugar.

Calvin Coolidge!
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2023, 01:58:33 PM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Richard Lugar.

Calvin Coolidge!

John Fetterman, Bill Haslam and Dan Malloy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2023, 03:51:12 PM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Richard Lugar.

Calvin Coolidge!

That this list includes John Fetterman, who was never involved in a municipal election where more than 500 votes were cast, does not do much to disprove the point it's trying to rebut.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023, 04:14:31 PM »

The one place where there seems to have been an abnormal amount of success for local politicians seeking statewide office is Tennessee - in the 2000s we saw mayors of Nashville, Chattanooga, and Knoxville all elected governor or senator.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2023, 12:30:53 PM »

Neither of those are plausible tickets unless the democrats are trying a doubling down kind of strategy.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2023, 07:00:24 AM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Richard Lugar.

Calvin Coolidge!

That this list includes John Fetterman, who was never involved in a municipal election where more than 500 votes were cast, does not do much to disprove the point it's trying to rebut.
Pete Wilson
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2023, 12:29:42 PM »

How could y’all forget Grover Cleveland?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2023, 06:15:12 PM »

Uh, Bernie Sanders?

Exceptions only prove the rule. 

Pete Wilson.  Dianne Feinstein. Gavin Newsom.  Jerry Brown (lesser extent).  Tim Kaine.

Jimmy Carter.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies