Corzines Approval Ratings Skyrocket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:30:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Corzines Approval Ratings Skyrocket
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Corzines Approval Ratings Skyrocket  (Read 9058 times)
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 12:50:34 PM »

He rammed through a tax hike without selling the public that one was necessary;

He rammed a tax hike through the legislature mere months after finishing a Gubernatorial Campaign where he insisted no tax hikes would be needed;

He rammed through a tax hike that was twice as large as needed to cover the state shortfall -- it was supposed to eliminate the need for having to hike taxes before the 1991 midterm elections and face the wrath of the voters (didn't work, Democrats got slaughtered by epic proportions anyway).

He rammed through a tax hike in the middle of a significant economic recession;

He rammed through a tax hike which took effect on the same day as the final of President Reagan's Social Security tax hikes, so regardless of whether or not it was Florio's fault, everyone's taxes went up on that fateful day in July;

and, he rammed through a tax hike that was so broad and far reaching that everyone was affected immediately in a negative way with no short term gain (property tax cuts were promised, but any realization of those cuts were at least a year away).  He boosted the sales tax (which everyone pays, regardless of income), he boosted the income tax (which hit the upper-middle class), and he instituted the much ridiculed tax on toilet paper because he wouldn't face down the cable industry and raise taxes on them, instead.

Obviously you have no compassion.  It takes courage to raise taxes and think of the less fortunate or the cable companies for once.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2007, 01:45:24 AM »

Corzine won because:

-at the time he was rather popular as a senator
-Doug Forrester was a terrible candidate
-He's a Democrat in New Jersey
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2007, 08:25:58 AM »

Corzine won because:

but President Bush didn't help.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2007, 09:35:36 AM »

Corzine won because:

but President Bush didn't help.

Nor did he help Forrester in 2002 when he was actually popular.

Blaming Forrester's loss on Bush is just a lame cop-out.  I've met Forrester.  I've talk to Forrester one-on-one.  Forrester is a nice guy and a decent human being with the type of moderate political views that

But he's a terrible candidate who made some very bad campaign decisions.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 11:16:20 PM »

Corzine won because:

Republican fundraisers would do well to skip ahead to that third one.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2007, 10:08:01 PM »

Corzine won because:

Republican fundraisers would do well to skip ahead to that third one.

And pay no heed to the first, since Corzine was never especially popular as Senator.  He frequently topped Torricelli and Lautenberg in approvals, but that's really not saying much.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 05:28:43 PM »

I originally thought Corzine could be vulnerable in 2009, but I am now beginning to doubt that.  New Jersey is a Democratic state at heart - as demonstrated by 2006. 

Idk, here's my thoughts:

After 2001, I was not at all upset even though Schundler lost by a lot, I thought it was just a temporary funk.  In 2002, I again found a scapegoat that Forrester had been destroyed by the illegal ballot switch.  Things again began to look good in 2004 when Bush seemed to make NJ close and thought things would be looking up.  I had high hopes that Murphy could take the governor's race, or maybe Schundler, but Forrester I knew was a bad candidate.  2006 looked promising at the start, but I don't know if it was really that bad considering NJ liberalism+idiot candidate+2006 being 94 redux=8% point win.  Maybe things aren't as bad as people think, if Murphy is the nominee and chooses someone like Atlantic County Assemblyman or Freeholder, he could seriously win.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 05:47:51 PM »

I actually agree with DWTL (uh-oh).  Murphy has the best shot to win, and a fairly good one in fact.  I don't know what you mean by "chooses someone" though.

Remember, thanks to Forrester we have a Lt. Gov starting in 2009
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 11:26:58 PM »

I actually agree with DWTL (uh-oh).  Murphy has the best shot to win, and a fairly good one in fact.  I don't know what you mean by "chooses someone" though.

Oh right...the useless job.  Roll Eyes

I agree with you. I voted against that stupid referendum. There's no need for a Lieutenant Governorship, and frankly Codey was the best governor we'd had in decades.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2007, 08:45:56 AM »

Forrester had nothing to do with that.

If I remember correctly he campaigned hard for it as part of his package to clean up corruption.  He said that the more elected officials we had instead of appointed positions the better.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2007, 07:03:07 PM »

Forrester had nothing to do with that.

If I remember correctly he campaigned hard for it as part of his package to clean up corruption.  He said that the more elected officials we had instead of appointed positions the better.

While he might of campaigned on the issue, Forrester is not the reason for us having a Lt. Governor. ACR100 was a Constitutional Amendment put forth by then Speaker Albio Sires.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »

Fairleigh Dickinson University's PublicMind has released its latest poll:

Jon Corzine Favorable/Unfavorable: 53/30

Thats 3 points higher then before.

***Disclaimer: This poll was actually about peoples feelings for selling the turnpike but they included a favor ability poll for Corzine as well.***

http://publicmind.fdu.edu/skeptical/
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2007, 10:49:24 AM »

I originally thought Corzine could be vulnerable in 2009, but I am now beginning to doubt that.  New Jersey is a Democratic state at heart - as demonstrated by 2006. 

Idk, here's my thoughts:

After 2001, I was not at all upset even though Schundler lost by a lot, I thought it was just a temporary funk.  In 2002, I again found a scapegoat that Forrester had been destroyed by the illegal ballot switch.  Things again began to look good in 2004 when Bush seemed to make NJ close and thought things would be looking up.  I had high hopes that Murphy could take the governor's race, or maybe Schundler, but Forrester I knew was a bad candidate.  2006 looked promising at the start, but I don't know if it was really that bad considering NJ liberalism+idiot candidate+2006 being 94 redux=8% point win.  Maybe things aren't as bad as people think, if Murphy is the nominee and chooses someone like Atlantic County Assemblyman or Freeholder, he could seriously win.

After the 2007 legislative elections, I'm highly doubting that the GOP will have any Atlantic County Assemblymen left.  Besides, is the best choice for Lieutenant Governor some freshman Assemblyman?

The best play for the 2009 GOP nominee will be to pick someone to balance the ticket ideologically.   Bill Baroni is a great choice for #2 because of his "reformer" credentials -- but especially because he is pro-life, which will placate the oft cranky base.  Another good choice might be Diane Allen, if the top of the ticket skews more conservative: the GOP needs to win in highly competitive and populous Burlington County, and with her running on the ticket, Burlington should be in the bag.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2007, 08:00:15 AM »

Idk, here's my thoughts:

After the 2007 legislative elections, I'm highly doubting that the GOP will have any Atlantic County Assemblymen left.  Besides, is the best choice for Lieutenant Governor some freshman Assemblyman?

The best play for the 2009 GOP nominee will be to pick someone to balance the ticket ideologically.   Bill Baroni is a great choice for #2 because of his "reformer" credentials -- but especially because he is pro-life, which will placate the oft cranky base.  Another good choice might be Diane Allen, if the top of the ticket skews more conservative: the GOP needs to win in highly competitive and populous Burlington County, and with her running on the ticket, Burlington should be in the bag.

Baroni is too high profile and thinking about his own future too much to except the Lt. Gov. spot.  However, Diane Allen would be a good choice.  Another one might be Paul DiGaetano if he is interested.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2007, 11:09:15 AM »

Baroni is too high profile and thinking about his own future too much to except the Lt. Gov. spot.  However, Diane Allen would be a good choice.  Another one might be Paul DiGaetano if he is interested.

Paul DiGaetano?  Only if you think New Jersey Republicans are truly suicidal.  DiGaetano is a major player in the caustic and cancerous Bergen County Republican Party -- an ally of the Talarico regime.

Any future GOP candidate in New Jersey would do well to marginalize that feud as much as possible.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2009, 07:36:50 PM »

Wow, surely he will win re-election.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »