Corzines Approval Ratings Skyrocket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:00:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Corzines Approval Ratings Skyrocket
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Corzines Approval Ratings Skyrocket  (Read 9059 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2007, 11:42:19 AM »

Corzine approvals go way up

Gov. Jon Corzine's approval rating has jumped eight points in the last five weeks, to 50%-34%, his highest marks so far, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today.

This compares to a split 42%-42% approval rating in a January 24 poll. Corzine's previous high mark was 49 - 32 percent in a December 7 poll.

"These numbers are tangible evidence that the public is embracing the Governor Corzine's leadership. A 16-point swing in approval rating in just one month is significant. His numbers are moving in the right direction because he's leading New Jersey in the right direction," said Democratic State Chairman Joseph Cryan.  "What is noteworthy is that the Governor is leading, not following, and he is leading the way on tough issues that contain nothing but difficult decisions.     

"As we saw in his budget address, the Governor doesn't play to the crowd by telling them only what they want to hear or by sugarcoating problems," Cryan said.  "He doesn't govern by poll, but the Corzine characteristics of straight talk, responsible actions and looking to the future are gaining the public's respect and favor."

Voters give Corzine mixed reviews on his handling of a number of issues, and negative marks on his handling of tax issues, but they approve 2 - 1 the property tax reduction plan approved by the Legislature with the Governor's backing. But 62% of voters say things have "stayed about the same" in New Jersey since Corzine became Governor fourteen months ago, with 20% who say things have gotten better and 15% who say things have gotten worse.

"Even though they give Gov. Corzine mixed reviews, New Jersey voters seem to forgive him for raising the state sales tax now that they see the money is going into property tax reduction," said Clay F. Richards, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. "Corzine campaigned for office promising property tax cuts and the voters are beginning to see he has delivered on that promise."

Voters disapprove 56%-34% of the way Corzine is handling taxes generally and disapprove 57%-33% of the way he is handling property taxes. On other issues:

* Voters approve 42 - 40 percent of Corzine's handling of the state budget;
    * Approve 39 - 35 percent of his handling of education;
    * Approve 45 - 35 percent of his handling of the economy and jobs;
    * Approve 42 - 23 percent of his handling of the environment;
    * Disapprove 38 - 25 percent of his handling of overdevelopment and sprawl.

"New Jersey voters are unhappy about Gov. Corzine's handling of taxes, property taxes in particular," Richards added. "But the State Legislature is doing worse as voters disapprove 68 - 16 percent of the way lawmakers are handling property taxes.

In an open-ended question, where voters can give any answer, 56 percent list taxes as the most important problem facing New Jersey, with 42 percent specifying property taxes, the highest mark for this issue in any Quinnipiac University poll in any state.

Voters approve 66 - 27 percent of the plan passed by the Legislature to give property owners rebates of up to 20 percent. This is the right amount, 46 percent say, while 37 percent say it's too little and 9 percent say it's too much.

Voters also support 61 - 30 percent the Legislature's bill for a 4 percent annual cap on property tax increases. But only 58 percent of those supporters, or 35 percent of all voters, back the cap if it means cuts in services such as public safety and trash collection. Voters split 48 - 46 percent on whether public employees should be required to pay more for health insurance and retirement benefits.

State legislators should not be allowed to hold other government positions, New Jersey voters say 79 - 17 percent. Legislators who already have another government job should be required to give up one of the jobs, voters say 68 - 27 percent.

From February 20 - 25, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,302 New Jersey voters with a margin of error of +/- 2.7 percentage points. The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public opinion surveys in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Florida, Ohio and nationally as a public service and for research. For more data -- http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x271.xml, or call (203) 582-5201.

MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »

They have skyrocketed, but they are still dismal.

They could be better, but an 8 point improvement over 5 weeks is great. I expect them to keep rising.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »

A 50% approval rating is extremely impressive in New Jersey. I've said it before, New Jersey gives naturally deflated approval ratings.

For that matter, a net approval rating of +16 isn't dismal anywhere.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 12:45:59 PM »

Right. If he were a Republican, they would be dropping today due to "past leadership disabilities", but since he is a Democrat, he is being "embraced."
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 12:46:18 PM »

I originally thought Corzine could be vulnerable in 2009, but I am now beginning to doubt that.  New Jersey is a Democratic state at heart - as demonstrated by 2006. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »

Right. If he were a Republican, they would be dropping today due to "past leadership disabilities", but since he is a Democrat, he is being "embraced."

Naso, what in the world does that mean?

I originally thought Corzine could be vulnerable in 2009, but I am now beginning to doubt that.  New Jersey is a Democratic state at heart - as demonstrated by 2006. 

No statewide Dem candidate will ever be in trouble in NJ ever again. As a Republican, I will no longer get my hopes up in a statewide race in NJ.

Most people would look at the same poll, see that Lautenberg is at 40% approval - 32% disapproval and say he is in trouble. Knowing NJ, that means he'll only win re-election by eight points as opposed to his eleven point win in 2002.

NJ is such a joke.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 01:08:30 PM »

Naso, what in the world does that mean?

It means that democrats get special treatment.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 01:34:34 PM »

Yeah, Gray Davis always got treated with kid gloves.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lautenberg won by 9 points in 2002.  Though entirely irrelevant to most conversations, I frequently like to mention the fact that Lautenberg has never won by double digits because he's a cranky old man and I don't like him.

And yes, it's probably for the best you give up all hope on New Jersey unless Bob Torricelli hits the comeback trail.  (...and you know he wants to!)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 02:09:19 PM »

- MTV-Awards August 2004: MTV staff tries to screw with audio to try and block out Bush Daughter's applause after Kerry Daughters were heavily booed

- The statue of Saddam falls down and the late Peter Jennings notes that the crowd "isn't as big as it looks."

- ABC News looks at 2006's pictures from "Iraq and Afghanistan....the other war."

I can go on and on.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 02:26:05 PM »

No, you probably can't, which is why you stopped where you did.

If that's the worst you can find, I'd hate to see what you consider minor.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 03:24:01 PM »

- MTV-Awards August 2004: MTV staff tries to screw with audio to try and block out Bush Daughter's applause after Kerry Daughters were heavily booed

- The statue of Saddam falls down and the late Peter Jennings notes that the crowd "isn't as big as it looks."

- ABC News looks at 2006's pictures from "Iraq and Afghanistan....the other war."

I can go on and on.

Afghanistan iis the other war.....
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 03:39:17 PM »

Remember, folks - every gubernatorial election in New Jersey since 1982 has voted for the opposition party of the incumbent President.

So when Corzine starts looking vulnerable, it's not a time to cheer if you're a Republican.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 04:27:25 PM »

New Jersey didn't have a gubernatorial election in 1982. We're an odd-year state.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2007, 04:31:34 PM »

(get a paper towel watch as dwdl's head explodes over the interweb) Smiley
Deano963

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 05:22:53 PM »

It means that democrats get special treatment.

I can go on and on.

What the hell do any of those three things have to with your delusion that Democrats supposedly receive special treatment?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Lautenberg won by 9 points in 2002.  Though entirely irrelevant to most conversations, I frequently like to mention the fact that Lautenberg has never won by double digits because he's a cranky old man and I don't like him.

My mistake. I knew it was in the area. With the exception of 2002, Lautenberg always had close races.

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 09:49:23 PM »

Or because, as far as I can tell [my home is only a hop skip and a jump from jersey, he's done a pretty decent job as governor. Hasn't pissed as many people off, like his predecessor (who tried to break a long standing agreement between PA and NJ not to screw around with state income tax withholding for employees who are residents of the other state, or the other big scandal of his)

sure Corzine took a hit for raising the sales tax...but a tax had to go up, can't blame him.

Ya know...he might not be so bad after all...GASP!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 11:36:21 PM »

Florio has a 13% approval rating in the early 1990's.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 08:36:49 AM »

Which I don't understand. Obviously, I wasn't old enough at the time, but, from what I've heard, Florio did only good things. (I remember hearing the story of the man who crusaded against Florio's tax readjustment only to discover that he would pay lower taxes under Florio's plan; he then denied that his taxes would be lower and kept on it.)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2007, 10:52:50 AM »

Remember, folks - every gubernatorial election in New Jersey since 1982 has voted for the opposition party of the incumbent President.

So when Corzine starts looking vulnerable, it's not a time to cheer if you're a Republican.

In 1985, New Jersey re-elected Governor Tom Kean (R).  Ronald Reagan (R) was President.

Re-write that, then to say that every Gubernatorial election since 1989... and then remember that there's probably no connection between the two.  Florio didn't lose because of Clinton (and McGreevey sure as hell didn't either!); Schundler didn't lose because of Bush, and neither did Forrester.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »

Schundler didn't lose because of Bush, and neither did Forrester.

Bush did play quite a significant role in Forrester's loss.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 11:11:12 AM »

Schundler didn't lose because of Bush, and neither did Forrester.

Bush did play quite a significant role in Forrester's loss.

I disagree.  Forrester played a much more significant role in Forrester's loss.  He was an awkward, terrible candidate who didn't know how to handle the abortion issue, and then his handling of Corzine's ex-wife was absolutely disgraceful and disgusting...and enough to sink a number of Republicans downballot, like Declan O'Scanlon.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 11:29:54 AM »

Which I don't understand. Obviously, I wasn't old enough at the time, but, from what I've heard, Florio did only good things. (I remember hearing the story of the man who crusaded against Florio's tax readjustment only to discover that he would pay lower taxes under Florio's plan; he then denied that his taxes would be lower and kept on it.)

Ah, youth.  Here's your explanation:

He rammed through a tax hike without selling the public that one was necessary;

He rammed a tax hike through the legislature mere months after finishing a Gubernatorial Campaign where he insisted no tax hikes would be needed;

He rammed through a tax hike that was twice as large as needed to cover the state shortfall -- it was supposed to eliminate the need for having to hike taxes before the 1991 midterm elections and face the wrath of the voters (didn't work, Democrats got slaughtered by epic proportions anyway).

He rammed through a tax hike in the middle of a significant economic recession;

He rammed through a tax hike which took effect on the same day as the final of President Reagan's Social Security tax hikes, so regardless of whether or not it was Florio's fault, everyone's taxes went up on that fateful day in July;

and, he rammed through a tax hike that was so broad and far reaching that everyone was affected immediately in a negative way with no short term gain (property tax cuts were promised, but any realization of those cuts were at least a year away).  He boosted the sales tax (which everyone pays, regardless of income), he boosted the income tax (which hit the upper-middle class), and he instituted the much ridiculed tax on toilet paper because he wouldn't face down the cable industry and raise taxes on them, instead.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 12:08:31 PM »

In 1985, New Jersey re-elected Governor Tom Kean (R).  Ronald Reagan (R) was President.

Re-write that, then to say that every Gubernatorial election since 1989... and then remember that there's probably no connection between the two.  Florio didn't lose because of Clinton (and McGreevey sure as hell didn't either!); Schundler didn't lose because of Bush, and neither did Forrester.

I think its in Virginia - the other state that elects Governors in the years of Presidential inaugurations, that the Governorship has been held by the opposition every year since 1977 or 1981.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies