The Hill: Some push for Huckabee to run for Senate, not President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:45:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Hill: Some push for Huckabee to run for Senate, not President
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Hill: Some push for Huckabee to run for Senate, not President  (Read 1704 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:12:14 AM »

By Aaron Blake

Though his long-shot presidential campaign is still in its early stages, some wish former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee would drop his national aspirations and return home to wage what they see as a vital campaign against Sen. Mark Pryor (D-Ark.) in 2008 instead.

Arkansas is often listed among the top Republican pickup opportunities in the country, but Huckabee is the only Republican who matches up to Pryor and there are no comparable alternatives, observers say.

Although those close to Huckabee chalk up the Senate talk to overanxious bloggers and speculation, some see Huckabee-for-Senate as a real possibility and most Republicans make it clear they would welcome him home.

One state GOP source familiar with Huckabee’s campaign said a Senate bid could indeed materialize and that it’s something Huckabee has considered and analyzed. Huckabee ran for Senate in 1992.

Huckabee couldn’t wait too long to abandon the presidential bid, the source said, and the Aug. 11 Republican straw poll in Ames, Iowa, could be a fork in the road.

“If he’s knocked out by the straw poll, then, yes, that’s a credible scenario,” the source said. “If he’s still around, I think, timeline-wise, it would add to the baggage that he already has in the state to drop a presidential [campaign] and come back and run for Senate.”

Huckabee’s presidential campaign said a Senate bid is not in the works and that it’s not something he’s looking at right now.

“At the moment, he has absolutely no plans to run for Senate,” spokeswoman Kirsten Fedewa said. “He’s on one track, and that’s to explore the presidential bid. He has no Plan B.”

Even if Huckabee were to enter the Senate race, Republicans see the 10-year governor as an underdog. Despite his long tenure in state government’s top office, he was reelected with just 53 percent of the vote in 2002, which was less than Pryor’s 54 percent in a good year for Republicans nationally.

Yet unlike other underdogs, Huckabee would have a reasonable chance at victory. He’s seen as a better national than state figure, but he hasn’t raised the kind of money required of a presidential candidate. At the same time, some see him competing with Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) for the “true social conservative” niche.

Operatives around the state struggle to think of other potential candidates. Nobody has expressed interest publicly yet, and there aren’t any Republican statewide office holders.

Sen. Blanche Lincoln’s (D-Ark.) 2004 opponent, former state legislator Jim Holt, took 44 percent against her in a presidential year despite spending less than $150,000 on the race. He called a repeat bid a “slim possibility” and said he would need to be promised $8 million to $10 million to finance it.

Banking executive J. French Hill, an appointee of the first President Bush, and 2006 lieutenant governor candidate Chuck Banks have been in talks with the National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC), as has fourth-term Rep. John Boozman, the only Republican in the Arkansas delegation.

Boozman’s chief of staff, Matt Sagely, however, said Friday that Boozman has “zero interest” in the job and completely ruled it out: “He considers himself lucky to be in the 3rd congressional district … That’s about as far as it goes as far as running for another office in Arkansas.”

The NRSC wouldn’t comment on any communications with Huckabee but made it clear the committee would embrace his candidacy.

“Certainly, we would welcome a run by Gov. Huckabee if that was something he decided to do,” spokeswoman Rebecca Fisher said. “But it’s not our only option in that state.”

Huckabee is, however, by far the best option. Aside from Boozman, none of the other potential candidates currently holds office, few have run campaigns, and there aren’t many potential self-funders in the mold of a Pete Ricketts, the wealthy former Ameritrade executive who financed his unsuccessful bid against Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) in 2006.

Banks failed to force a primary runoff in the lieutenant governor’s race. Holt won the nomination but performed slightly worse than he did in his 2004 Senate bid.

Pryor, meanwhile, is the son of a well-known former senator and has maintained an approval rating above 50 percent throughout his four years in office. He’s been a relatively quiet figure, but he also hasn’t provided Republicans with much ammunition to use against him.

“My gut is: Huckabee will either do it or not do it, and they’re probably not going to win this race with anybody else,” a politics professor at Hendrix College, Jay Barth, said.

The lack of candidates is mostly a symptom of the Arkansas Republican Party’s state of disarray. An anomaly among Southern states, Arkansas remains solidly Democratic. At the same time, it chose President Bush by nine points in 2004.

With Huckabee replaced by Democratic Gov. Mike Beebe, the Democrats now hold all seven constitutional offices and three-quarters of the state legislature.

After the election, Arkansas GOP Executive Director Clint Reed posted a message on the party’s website about its wounded state and its need to bounce back. This month, he left to become a regional director for the Republican National Committee, setting the party back another step.

“Look at what [Republicans] have — they got their clocks cleaned,” Holt said. “There’s not a lot of Republicans, even if they were very well established like a Huckabee, that would have the interest in taking on a Pryor in this state.”

Republicans in Arkansas are a small yet factionalized group, split between the religious base, which controls the nominating process, and the moderates. The divisions have been both personal and ideological.

Part of the Republicans’ challenge is finding someone who will rally both of those sects, an Arkansas GOP consultant, Bill Vickery, said. Other than Huckabee, few fit that mold.

“I think the Republican Party in Arkansas is searching for that one candidate who can unite their social conservatives and yet appeal to broad, moderate business conservatives in the state,” Vickery said. “That’s what the search is now.”

http://www.hillnews.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Campaign/022807_huckabee.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »

Either one seems like a waste of time. He might as well just stick with running for President. Pryor is safe.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »

he has a better chance at becoming president than senator from arkansas.  both are slim possibilities.

maybe he should run for the school board in little rock?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 01:49:13 PM »

he has a better chance at becoming president than senator from arkansas.  both are slim possibilities.

Or some school board in Kansas...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »

oh a nice little dig at creationists.

but i still believe huckabee is more liberal than we give him credit for being.
Rococo4

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 03:48:54 PM »

He would have a chance against Pryor, though he would not be the favorite.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 04:40:12 PM »

Good one. Cheesy

i still believe huckabee is more liberal than we give him credit for being.

He supports a flat tax and thinks that the war in Iraq is more important than World War II, Walter. The guy is a scumbag.

I just want this creep out of the public eye. Pryor isn't one of my favorites, but I'd love to see him thrash Huckabee.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 06:16:19 PM »

oh a nice little dig at creationists.

but i still believe huckabee is more liberal than we give him credit for being.

The thing I love about Huckabee is that he put his, and the taxpayers', money where his mouth was when it came to Katrina and Rita.  When it came to putting programs in place that really made people feel welcome and helped the assimilate, Arkansas got high marks.  Huckabee was a big part of that and, by all accounts, he worked very well with Senators Lincoln and Pryor and the HOR delegation to get refugees looked after.

I really believe Mike Huckabee has compassion for people who are down and out.  That, and his impressive weight loss story, make me like him. 

Unfortunately, his views on everything from abortion rights to gay rights to taxes are in the same league as those of Tom Coburn, Saxby Chambliss and that tribe.

Still, I do believe in pointing out the good I see.  And both Huckabee and Brownback have made substantial statements hinting at genuine compassion.  (Huckabee on Katrina and Brownback on AIDS.)  I can only hope that the better angels of their nature in regard to these matters will begin to hold sway in some other areas.

GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 08:20:40 PM »

Huckabee is a very conservative Republican well to the right of a good deal of the other POTUS candidates yet I get a vibe of honesty and integrity from him that I don't get from any of the other GOPers (or Hilary for that matter).
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 11:17:40 PM »

Huckabee is a very conservative Republican well to the right of a good deal of the other POTUS candidates yet I get a vibe of honesty and integrity from him that I don't get from any of the other GOPers (or Hilary for that matter).

I think I could agree with that.  That's how I always felt about Bob Dole, too.  Though Dole was not in the thrall of the religious right like Huckabee is...Huckabee, like Governor Riley of Alabama, seems to genuinely care about poor people and the victims of natural disasters.  To the point of believing government can and should play a role in helping.  I applaud him for this.

I believe the biggest question he will have to answer, if anyone thinks to bring it up, is why he didn't try to blunt or terminate the Southern Baptist Convention's mysoginist movement of the last decade.  Indeed, he supported and enabled it.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 11:22:04 PM »

The way I see it, Huckabee probably intends on running for Senate, and is only using his presidential campaign to create publicity for himself.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »

http://senate2008guru.blogspot.com/

The Morning News and the Arkansas News Bureau are both reporting that former Governor and current Presidential candidate Mike Huckabee has ruled out a Senate bid against Democratic incumbent Senator Mark Pryor. Huckabee told the Arkansas News Bureau:

"The rumors have been out there and I need to put them to bed. I don't see it happening," Huckabee said of the possibility he would drop out of his run for president to take on Pryor, a first-term Democrat.

"There are no ifs on this one. I have a race I'm in, and I'm committed to it."

Whether this is absolutely sincere or just Huckabee trying to "seem" committed is unclear. ("I don't see it happening" isn't the same as "No chance whatsoever" in my book.) Huckabee can always re-evaluate later in the year if he believes his Presidential bid isn't gaining traction. That said, if this turns out to be the case, Pryor winning re-election just got a little safer.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 07:29:54 AM »

Despite his support for a flat tax, Huckabee is more an economic populists.  That stance combined with his social conservatism makes him a perfect fit for Arkansas.  The problem is Pryor is almost the same and therefore it would be hard for him to defeat him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies