Republicans make a play to kill one person, one vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:39:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans make a play to kill one person, one vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Republicans make a play to kill one person, one vote  (Read 2080 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2023, 01:43:38 PM »
« edited: March 05, 2023, 01:50:01 PM by These knuckles break before they bleed »

Also I looked it up and to refer a constitutional amendment to the voters in Nebraska requires a vote from 60% of the legislature in favor, which would be 30 votes. There are currently 32 Republicans, meaning even 3 defections would kill it, and in addition to the facts that a lot of those are Omaha and Lincoln suburbs representatives making the legislative election partisan would actually doom even some of the rural legislators, especially the more moderate Republicans, so plenty have reasons to vote against this. And the Speaker is from the Omaha suburbs.

I don't think there's going to be a serious push for this. The hearing could just be a formality. In fact the sponsor has sponsored two other amendments (which seem like Tea Party-era anti-tax stuff, although surprisingly one is pretty reasonable and would exempt groceries from sales tax, already the case in Minnesota and other states), and both were scheduled for hearings on March 3...and I can't find any details of what happened since then although the site does let you submit comments online and it listed a room and time where the hearings were. Doesn't sound like a serious push.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2023, 01:52:34 PM »

As I stated before it is an endless cycle:

1) a random crazy Republican proposes a crazy bill in a Midwestern state

2) it gets some media, a lot of hype and hysteria and worry online.

3) it fails to even make it out of committee or in many cases pass

4) You never hear about it again.

5) rinse and repeat
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2023, 01:59:48 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

Tennessee banned drag shows and Texas is investigating the families of trans kids.

But sure, "you never hear about it again"
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2023, 02:02:24 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

Tennessee banned drag shows and Texas is investigating the families of trans kids.

I am specifically referring to Midwestern states. Where this stuff seems to occur frequently.

In an era of racial depolarization, the GOP trends/holds in the Midwest could evaporate quickly.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 02:07:57 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

This is not correct. That's an example of a bill that actually did go somewhere but it did not outright "ban drag shows".
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2023, 03:49:40 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

And don't forget Texas prohibiting any voting locations on College campuses, which I believe actually passed?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2023, 03:52:47 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

This is not correct. That's an example of a bill that actually did go somewhere but it did not outright "ban drag shows".

It came close with an overbroad definition of not doing around so-called children, which means a 17 year old can't see a g or at most pg-rated drag show, but a parent can still take their 8 year old kid to Hooters for photographs with girls with camel toe bearing short shorts and giant boob bearing crop tops.

It was not a nothing Burger despite your constant piping up about doomers along with catholics, people who don't like emo, suburbs' heavy metal, blah blah blah blah blah.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2023, 03:56:48 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

It came close with an overbroad definition of not doing around so-called children, which means a 17 year old can't see a g or at most pg-rated drag show, but a parent can still take their 8 year old kid to Hooters for photographs with girls with camel toe bearing short shorts and giant boob bearing crop tops.

It was not a nothing Burger despite your constant piping up about doomers along with catholics, people who don't like emo, suburbs' heavy metal, blah blah blah blah blah.
Maybe if Ferguson only posted about bills that actually are going somewhere instead of every single one introduced that some random rage baiting gifted tweets about we wouldn't have a "cry wolf" effect and people would take such posts .ore seriously. Remember when people bedwetted over some Arizona bill even though Hobbes could obviously veto it?

Also you're defending Doomers now? You think SnowLabrador and people who thought Kanye West would be a spoiler are worth taking seriously?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2023, 04:00:05 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

Maybe if Ferguson only posted about bills that actually are going somewhere instead of every single one introduced that some random rage baiting gifted tweets about we wouldn't have a "cry wolf" effect and people would take such posts .ore seriously. Remember when people bedwetted over some Arizona bill even though Hobbes could obviously veto it?

Also you're defending Doomers now? You think SnowLabrador and people who thought Kanye West would be a spoiler are worth taking seriously?

No, I just have a much better appreciation for what actual doomers are,  versus minimizing sh**t like the Tennessee drag law as part of some mindless jihad against the term.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2023, 04:01:58 PM »

What is the point of even having a bicameral state legislature if both houses have to be apportioned based on population? 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2023, 04:07:05 PM »

What is the point of even having a bicameral state legislature if both houses have to be apportioned based on population? 

Agreed. I would strongly support any state going down to unicameral, and preferably with a low number of large districts.

I like my old professor's plan for Mississippi's legislature to have only 12 members, a "board of directors" style setup, elected proportionally, 3 from each US House seat.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2023, 04:12:04 PM »

Why does that matter? Nebraska doesn't have a bicameral legislature.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2023, 04:14:19 PM »

Yes, the amendment is to create a new state senate that would be comprised of 31, 3-county districts.  The old unicameral body would continue as the lower house.   
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2023, 04:29:21 PM »

Yes, the amendment is to create a new state senate that would be comprised of 31, 3-county districts.  The old unicameral body would continue as the lower house.   
So why is this necessary? Why not just keep the unilateral? Also SPOILER keeping the unicameral as is is what's going to happen.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2023, 04:32:24 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

No, I just have a much better appreciation for what actual doomers are,  versus minimizing sh**t like the Tennessee drag law as part of some mindless jihad against the term.
Let me tell you something: DrScholl is insisting that joke Florida bill to ban the Democratic Party will pass. I've thus set up periodic reminders throughout the Florida legislative session to bump that thread and we can see if the bill has passed or made any progress.

So if after the final one after the legislative session concludes in May if the bill hasn't passed does that mean that DrScholl is full of sh!t or not?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2023, 04:36:38 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

Let me tell you something: DrScholl is insisting that joke Florida bill to ban the Democratic Party will pass. I've thus set up periodic reminders throughout the Florida legislative session to bump that thread and we can see if the bill has passed or made any progress.

So if after the final one after the legislative session concludes in May if the bill hasn't passed does that mean that DrScholl is full of sh!t or not?

You obsession with me is really creepy. Why are you even mentioning me?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2023, 04:42:22 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

You made some idiotic comments about Bernie Sanders so I want to forever discredit you.

Maybe not necessary though. Ever wonder why this forum hates you so much?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2023, 04:43:58 PM »

Unconstitutional and will be struck down if it goes forward.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2023, 04:47:30 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

You made some idiotic comments about Bernie Sanders so I want to forever discredit you.

The problem is unlike you I don't make this forum my entire life. I have family and a job. What do you have? A need to discredit a stranger on the internet is not a life. I don't care what this forum thinks of me because a whole lot of people here are fringe radicals on both sides of the spectrum. You are not important to me, sweetie. I don't think about people on this board when I'm not posting!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2023, 04:52:39 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

The problem is unlike you I don't make this forum my entire life. I have family and a job. What do you have? A need to discredit a stranger on the internet is not a life. I don't care what this forum thinks of me because a whole lot of people here are fringe radicals on both sides of the spectrum. You are not important to me, sweetie. I don't think about people on this board when I'm not posting!
I have a job too and a very active social life which is obvious from my posts. I also don't think about people here when I'm not posting unless reminded in some way (like any reference to Austria reminds me of Tender Branson.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2023, 05:02:44 PM »

Even if the unequally populated districts had weighted voting for their representatives to balance that out, it would probably be unconstitutional in its application. I happened to gain specialized legal knowledge on this esoteric topic back when.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2023, 06:29:02 PM »

5) rinse and repeat

Did you actually read my posts in this thread? I made some pretty reasoned and logic and fact-based points as to why this is extremely unlikely to pass. Just bringing up a random completely unrelated bill in Tennessee doesn't debunk that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2023, 06:46:01 PM »

Jesus dude. Isn't that a bit much?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2023, 08:36:08 PM »

Jesus dude. Isn't that a bit much?
You don't get a rating that low here unless it's deserved.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2023, 08:53:16 PM »

How did we go from this new bill to... talking about obsessing over Bernie Sanders ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies