Do we have a President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:54:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Do we have a President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do we have a President?  (Read 2336 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2004, 07:28:39 PM »
« edited: July 08, 2004, 07:34:03 PM by Fritz »

As a candidate for the senate, I have some reservations about making this post, for fear I may lose potential votes as a result.  But I am afraid my frustration has reached a breaking point, and I must express my feelings on this matter.

In the short time that President Gustaf has been in office, I am extremely disappointed with his inattentiveness to his Presidential responsibilities.  First, he was more than 24 hours past due in assuming his office.  Second, a full 4 days after he has actually taken office, he still has yet to announce his cabinet selections.  If there were no critical duties for the cabinet to perform at this time, perhaps this would not bother me.  But we are in critical need of a Secretary of Forum Affairs, to conduct a special election for the senate seat in district 3.  I have made posts appealing to the President regarding this matter, which he apparently has not seen, or has ignored.

Besides neglecting his Presidential duties, I also perceive that Gustaf has been neglecting his responsibilities as forum moderator.  Just as one blatant example, why is the "Voting Booth Discussion" thread from an election nearly 3 weeks ago still  stickied?

I can appreciate that forum members do have personal lives, and other responsibilities which require their attention.  Perhaps Gustaf had some unforeseen events occur in his life which have been diverting his attention.  If that is the case, I can understand that.  But if his diversion is caused by events that were foreseen-  i.e., school, work, family events- he should have been able to plan ahead.  By becoming President, and also moderator, Gustaf has taken on some obligations to the forum that he must at least make an effort to live up to.

Turning to the crisis at hand, we need to have a special election in district 3.  I would imagine the 2 other candidates in this race share my frustration in not knowing when this election will take place.  Traditionally, the Secretary of Forum Affairs conducts elections.  But I can find no constitutional requirement that this be the case.  I am wondering if perhaps the Supreme Court, or the Vice-President, can take charge of this matter, in the absence of both the President and a cabinet.

Per the constitution: "If any district Senate seat becomes vacant, a special election shall be held within one week to fill in the vacancy."  Senator Texasgurl officially resigned July 4, the constitution therefore mandates the election be held no later than this Sunday, July 11.  I am not advocating that this actually be the time frame.  At this point in time, I feel it would be unfair both to the candidates and to the voters to hold an election on such short notice.

I call upon the Supreme Court to rule upon how to handle this situation.

Thank You,
Fritz
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2004, 08:07:56 PM »

I personally would like to echo what Fritz has just said.  I've been waiting for the new administration to take action on some of the pressing issues of the forum.  I for one am waiting for Gustaf to act in regards to the sticky reduction bill.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2004, 08:08:49 PM »

Well you haven't technically lost a vote as I'm not in your district but I am disappointed in this post.

First of all, this forum is NOT the most important thing in the world and it should not be something that we wrap our lives around.  I was in a sim several years back that I lived for and it nearly ruined my life.  (It did help to end my college career)

If you want candidates and a President who spend their entire lives on the forum, then I fear for the future of this organization.  Gustaf has been around, he is consistently attentive, and he is not ignoring anything.

Secondly, all of us need to keep in mind that Gustaf is like seven or eight hours off of our time so it is difficult for him to check in and respond to some things in a time frame that we would like.

Thirdly, Gustaf has had a number of computer problems lately and Swedes have an education system that probably teaches them everything about putting condoms on cucumbers but obviously nothing about computers Smiley

I understand where you are coming from and believe you are expressing a sentiment that is shared by many - but we probably all need to get over it and appreciate that our President does have something else in his life other than the Atlas Forum.

Hey.. maybe he's getting it on with that hot Asian girl!  Doesn't that put all of this into the proper perspective? Smiley
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 09:09:58 PM »

Htmldon,

I did not say, nor do I want, a President whose entire life is dedicated to the forum.  Being the President here does not require an eight hour day of work.  It does have some some requirements, however, and I disagree with your assertation that he has "been around" and is "consistently attentive".  I understand that he lives in a different time zone.  That is not the issue.  He has not posted at all here in two days.  Four days have passed since he took office (one day late) and he still has not appointed a cabinet, which in my mind is the very first thing a President normally does.  Also, as I expressed in my post, perhaps he had unforeseen problems, and that would be understandable.  You say he is having computer problems?  If that is the case, that would excuse him, I was not aware of that.  I have computer trouble myself now and then.

Regardless, we have a problem, in that a constitutional mandate for a special election will not be fulfilled in the designated time frame.  I would like the Supreme Court to determine what must be done.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 09:14:25 PM »

But what if he's getting it on with the hot Asian girl - you didn't address this most important issue! Smiley

What we really need is some way for the VP to step in - not permanently - but temporarily if business is pending.  Maybe if the President does not address an issue within 48 hours, the VP is allowed to sign or veto that particular piece of legislation in the President's place.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 09:28:45 PM »

But what if he's getting it on with the hot Asian girl - you didn't address this most important issue! Smiley
But she can't be doing that... she's in love with pasta!  Wink

*although she can't get it on with pasta*
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 09:59:52 PM »

Wonderful post, Fritz, that addresses a lot of my concerns that I've been reluctant to voice.  Took the words right out of my mouth.

Gustaf's a great guy.  I'm waiting to find out if he's a great president too.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2004, 10:22:30 PM »

Wonderful post, Fritz, that addresses a lot of my concerns that I've been reluctant to voice.  Took the words right out of my mouth.

Gustaf's a great guy.  I'm waiting to find out if he's a great president too.

I aggree with GWBFan and Fritz. I was going to address this, but you decided to do it first Fritz.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2004, 11:57:51 PM »

I personally would like to echo what Fritz has just said.  I've been waiting for the new administration to take action on some of the pressing issues of the forum.  I for one am waiting for Gustaf to act in regards to the sticky reduction bill.

As do I.
M

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2004, 12:18:12 AM »

I would like to come to the defense of my friend President Gustaf. Whatever is delaying him, I am certain he will explain to us in his own time. I would like to remind us all that Atlasia was created to enhance our enjoyment of life and politics, not to snipe at each other with bitter "you're lates". Certainly summoning the judicial system at this pont is uncalled for.

I too eagerly await the appointment of the Cabinet and the chance to see Gustaf in action as the great national leader I know he will be.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish Gustaf long life, prosperity, and luck with the ladies.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2004, 02:14:27 AM »

I also wish to defend Gustaf.  I understand that Fritz wants the special election held as soon as possible, because he is in it.  I'd remind him and the others here that there is little urgency, since we aren't running a real government.  The purpose of the fantasy government is to administer fantasy elections, not to address pressing social troubles.  A slight delay in the election date just gives more time to campaign.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2004, 03:48:30 AM »
« Edited: July 09, 2004, 03:41:37 PM by Vice President Supersoulty »

First off, we are going to announce our selections for the Cabinet soon.  I don't mean to point the finger, but it took Pres. Nyman nearly a month to appoint a cabinet.

Second, I am working closely with PPT Kennedy to get legislation moving in the Senate, so that Pres. Lundgren will have something to sign soon.  PPT Nelson and Vice-Pres. Al left an awful mess in the Senate that we need to clean up before we can take further action.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 04:47:37 AM »

Nice and well put sir. If you ever need my help, I am your special liaison.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 05:19:32 AM »

Just to make a point, it IS the Summer guys, people go on holiday ya know, like Tweed and Harry have done so. Maybe Gustaf is away? I know he mentioned to me once that he was going on holiday over the Summer but I am not sure when exactly.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 10:09:03 AM »

First off, we are going to announce our selections for the Cabinet soon.  I don't mean to point the fingure, but it took Pres. Nyman nearly a month to appoint a cabinet.

Second, I am working closely with PPT Kennedy to get legislation moving in the Senate, so that Pres. Lundgren will have something to sign soon.  PPT Nelson and Vice-Pres. Al left an awful mess in the Senate that we need to clean up before we can take further action.

So, Mr. Vice President, are you president while Gustaf is away?  It seems like you're the only active one working at something here, something more than making up excuses as to where our elected official has wandered off to.

(OOC... I realize it's the summer, and Gustaf is probably off having fun on vacation or something.  Please don't think I'm honestly trying to cut him down all the time now.  I do like the guy.  All you UACer's, don't get pissed off at me.)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2004, 10:13:32 AM »

Just to make a point, it IS the Summer guys, people go on holiday ya know, like Tweed and Harry have done so. Maybe Gustaf is away? I know he mentioned to me once that he was going on holiday over the Summer but I am not sure when exactly.

Didn't Harry tell us he was not going to be here?  And Tweed too, if I remember correctly....

For the record, when Nym went away like this during his term, it spurred the very same complaints, from myself and many others who now are willing to give Gustaf a break.  Don't be surprised that people are crying out now the same way they did then.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2004, 12:48:10 PM »

GWBFan, I am not accusing you of treating this any differently than when Nym was away. I am also aware that Harry and Tweed said they were going to be away. My point is, people do have lives outside of the fantasy forums......

By the way, I am not attacking you, nor am I getting pissed off at you, I was merely defending Gustaf, two very different things.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 01:02:37 PM »

We do have a perfectly capable vice-president.
let him assume the duties until gustaf gets time.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 01:10:32 PM »

GWBFan, I am not accusing you of treating this any differently than when Nym was away. I am also aware that Harry and Tweed said they were going to be away. My point is, people do have lives outside of the fantasy forums......

By the way, I am not attacking you, nor am I getting pissed off at you, I was merely defending Gustaf, two very different things.

I know people have outside lives.  I have an outside life, which is why I'm not here all that often...which is why I'm not president.  People will complain when the president isn't here doing stuff, whether they realize he has an outside life or not.  It's just going to happen, and you (you in general) should realize this when you decide to make a run for the presidency.  That kinda thing just comes with the job.

In the meantime, I agree with Texasgurl...Supersoulty should take charge until Gustaf gets back.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2004, 05:15:30 PM »

My personal take on this is that we should give Gustaf some more time. Having been there myself, I know how it is. There is nothing too pressing about the Senate race...as you said Fritz, the SOFA doesn't have to conduct the election, let's just declare that it is going to be next weekend, if all 3 candidates agree.

I do hope that Gustaf returns to his duties in short order, however, but at this point, I'm more than willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It didn't take me a month to get my cabinet together, though. I had most everyone announced and in place by the time I was inaugurated. I believe it was only the positions that hadn't been created yet (like Sec. of Forum Affairs) that were added later. There was no Constitution yet when I took office, so there wasn't even a consensus on what the cabinet positions would be yet.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2004, 05:18:01 PM »

If it becomes necessary, I will state who Gustaf has decided to appoint. I only really know three of the positions but I think Super may know a few too......
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2004, 05:18:48 PM »

If it becomes necessary, I will state who Gustaf has decided to appoint. I only really know three of the positions but I think Super may know a few too......

Don't tell us, we want to be surprised!
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2004, 05:19:26 PM »

Not planning to, my point is, if it becomes necessary that we have them in place to keep things orderly then I may be forced to.....
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2004, 05:20:06 PM »

Whether JFK announces or Gustaf announces, it will be a surprise to almost everyone anyway.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2004, 06:05:42 PM »

Whether JFK announces or Gustaf announces, it will be a surprise to almost everyone anyway.

Not everyone.....
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies