Iowa GOP introduce two bills to ban gay marriage.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:18:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Iowa GOP introduce two bills to ban gay marriage.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Iowa GOP introduce two bills to ban gay marriage.  (Read 1006 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 01, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »

Who could have foreseen such a turn of events...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 11:19:17 AM »

A Supreme Court justice explicitly said we should reexamine Obergefell, and implicitly that he would vote to overturn it. Of course the Religious Right would try this somewhere.

It may not (and probably won't) pass this year in this state, but they're going to keep at it and might get 1 state to crack eventually. If not, they may try cities and counties instead.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 11:25:29 AM »

If any state were to attempt this, I would expect it from a state in either the 5th or 8th Circuit. Iowa is in the latter, a court that is 11R-1D.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 11:32:28 AM »

One of the political positives for the GOP about Obergefell was not having to constantly revisit the issue or carry it as dead weight like they now have to do with abortion. A majority of Republicans also started supporting SSM two years ago. This will never fly in Iowa.

Also, how many Republican state legislators have taken to this method of trolling within the past year? It feels like a lot with two unserious proposals just this week.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 11:35:06 AM »

A Supreme Court justice explicitly said we should reexamine Obergefell, and implicitly that he would vote to overturn it. Of course the Religious Right would try this somewhere.

It may not (and probably won't) pass this year in this state, but they're going to keep at it and might get 1 state to crack eventually. If not, they may try cities and counties instead.
I still don't think they have the votes to overturn it even if it got there, and if they did, having the Same Sex Marriage debate again would be hugely damaging for the GOP.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »

Overturning Obergefell would cause a backlash as bad as Dobbs.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 11:43:08 AM »

They still won the house in 2022, if Obergefell was overturned in 2024 how would it affect the senate races? I think WV still goes R, and maybe they only get 1/2 of OH or MT?
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 11:50:17 AM »

They still won the house in 2022, if Obergefell was overturned in 2024 how would it affect the senate races? I think WV still goes R, and maybe they only get 1/2 of OH or MT?

The house was very close and R’s only won because of a handful of strong candidates and NY/CA being good for the R’s.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 11:51:02 AM »

The bill will go nowhere and even if it did, ssm is federally codified.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 12:03:01 PM »

I don't think so. While most people support SSM, I doubt that it will affect the vote of very many people who are currently voting for republicans. Bigotry doesn't seem to really turn them off.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 12:06:45 PM »

I don't think so. While most people support SSM, I doubt that it will affect the vote of very many people who are currently voting for republicans. Bigotry doesn't seem to really turn them off.

It would be one thing if the original Obergefell decision had gone the other way, but overturning it nearly a decade after it has been settled law would have completely different implications, especially if existing same-sex marriages are not grandfathered in. It would make the average person extremely upset and uncomfortable, and would diminish the court's already dismal standing with the public.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 12:07:01 PM »

I dunno. Same-sex marriage is more popular than abortion, but women are more popular than gays. It's a wash.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 12:34:02 PM »

Now imagine if there was not double digit inflation.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 02:43:43 PM »

you always have some bills that get proposed that have like five sponsors and are a sure thing to die in committee. This bill is probably one of those things so I'm not worried about it for the time being.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 02:45:11 PM »

I do not care about these bills and neither should you. They are certain to not end up into law. In life we have bigger problems.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2023, 02:46:10 PM »

I think everyone should have noticed now that often times, especially in the Midwest for some reason, some random GOP legislator will propose an extreme radical bill that ends up either not passing. Either not being taken up by committee, not passing the committee, or outright failing.

It has happened in Missouri a lot.

Yea, maybe this could have a better chance but still.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2023, 02:49:16 PM »

But all the blue avatars said that we were being crazy for thinking republicans would go after gay marriage Huh
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2023, 03:00:38 PM »

It would be one thing if the original Obergefell decision had gone the other way, but overturning it nearly a decade after it has been settled law would have completely different implications, especially if existing same-sex marriages are not grandfathered in. It would make the average person extremely upset and uncomfortable, and would diminish the court's already dismal standing with the public.
The average liberal person will be upset, probably not so much the average republican. I doubt that people who were almost universally against SSM until fairly recently will suddenly be wildly upset by this.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2023, 03:04:19 PM »

This must be the social moderation of the Republican Party people are talking about.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2023, 03:39:40 PM »

But all the blue avatars said that we were being crazy for thinking republicans would go after gay marriage Huh

The goal posts always move.

"Lol Republicans won't try to repeal gay marriage."

Republicans try to repeal gay marriage

"Lol well it's not a serious bill anyway."
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2023, 03:45:45 PM »

That's stupid.

While it's true that Republicans really haven't nominated on social issues, I'm hopeful this won't pass, considering the handful of Republicans that voted for the Respect for Marriage Act.  Though it's not so much that all these Republican officials support SSM, maybe they're at least smart enough to know it's not a winning issue for them (though many are obviously not that smart).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2023, 04:28:34 PM »

Will the second cancel out the first like a "double negative"?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2023, 04:37:19 PM »

Regardless of gay marriage's popularity, overturning Obergfell will just give more credence to Democrats' talking points about a rogue SCOTUS that wants to turn the clock back to the 50s and that things taken for granted like contraception and interracial marriage might be next on the chopping block.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2023, 04:37:55 PM »

Regardless of gay marriage's popularity, overturning Obergfell will just give more credence to Democrats' talking points about a rogue SCOTUS that wants to turn the clock back to the 50s and that things taken for granted like contraception and interracial marriage might be next on the chopping block.
This is true.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2023, 05:32:10 PM »

I still don't think they have the votes to overturn it even if it got there, and if they did, having the Same Sex Marriage debate again would be hugely damaging for the GOP.

Yeh, don't ask me why, but I think the reaction from voters to gay marriage being made illegal again would be even stronger than it was from Roe being overturned. For some reason it just feels more tangible? Maybe b/c I'm not a woman? I dunno. Whatever the case, this would be a huge political self own if republicans succeeded doing this anywhere.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies