Issues and Priorities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:52:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Issues and Priorities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Issues and Priorities  (Read 599 times)
M

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 08, 2004, 04:57:32 PM »

Charleston, South Carolina
July 8, 2004

I'd like to thank you folks for joining me here in Charleston today. Not only is this the town my father was born in (though he grew up in Dillon, northeast of here), it represents in many ways, the spirit of our dear South. It is from here that I have chosen to reveal my platform and isssues, in part as a response to a query from Ernest, one of the upstanding citizens of this state.

In a time of war, my first priority must be safeguarding our country and maintaining our status abroad. It is for this reason that I playest highest priority on foreign policy. My goals are as follows:

1.) To act appropriately against rogue regimes, defined as those who support terrorism and/or seek atomic weaponry capabilities. Specifically Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and North Korea each present different challenges and require different methods, but the central fact is that its time to force them to realize that if they can't moderate their behaviour, we might just go ahead and moderate it for them. In addition, it is vital that we continue the just wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and work towards a peaceful resolution of other major conflicts, including the Israeli-Palestinian and Israeli-Arab, Kashmir, and Northern Ireland.

2.) To work towards the grander goal of this country's Manifest Destiny by the annexation of Canada as our sixth district, folowing a pro forma ratification by interested Canadians, and approved by the Senate (roughly following the model of my home state of Texas). Eventually if this proves a succes, a similar process may be used to create a 7th district in Europe, out of the British Isles, France, Iberia, Low Countries, Scandinavia, Germany, the Alpine countries, and Italy.

3.) To work towards energy independency by utilizing domestic fossil fuel sources, buying more oil from non-OPEC democracies like Russia and Mexico, and most importantly, developing new fuels and reexamining the nuclear option.

4.) To work towards elimination of tarrifs and globalized free trade, in the spirit of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Nearly as important are the matters pertaining to our dear Atlasia. Here my positions are as follows:

1.) Atlasia must work further towards creating a national identity. To this end, we must establish a national capital with appropriate monuments, create a currency depicting our national heros and leaders, compose a national anthem, create a Department of Education charged with frequent classes for Atlasians of all ages on topics of importance, and the creation of a military. I will work to create the first entirly automated military with humans only at the Joint Chiefs level, which hopefully may begin to participate in international peacekeeping and observer missions, starting perhaps in wartorn African countries like Sudan, Somalia, and Congo-Kinshasa.

2.) Our board is too cluttered. It's tome to begin to seriously work on eliminating old and irrelevant posts, and reducing stickies to just a few (register/census thread, voting booth, and HQ).

3.) Reanalyze the district-region method in this country. I suggest a system based on historical regions: creating New England, Mid-Atlantic, Dixie, Heartand, and Wild West (and eventually perhaps Canada, and Europe) as permanent district/regions based on tradition and not population, and not handing a bias to any region for its population. (Similar to the Constitutional Convention's Virginia plan; population differences are simply not great enough for the necessity of gerrymandered districts and regions).

Finally, my stances on domestic issues are as follows:

1.) Rework national education so it is both interesting to youngsters, and they learn something out of it. A lot of useless political correctness will have to go, and patriotis, will be back in. I urge y'all to find an old edition of "the American Pageant" to find out what I am talking about. The '58 edition, which belongs to my dad, really inspired me a few years back.

2.) Eliminate the discriminatory practice of race-based affirmative action. This process, which is itself reverseracism, also inspires more reacism from the majority and advantaged minorities against the disadvanaged minorities. Particularly disturbing are the revival of educational quotas, that favorite tool of racists in the '30s Ivy League. At the same time, as Southerners, we know how are regional symbols have been maligned as equivalent to the Swastika, and we must work to fight this culture of misunderstanding and assert the position that the Confederacy, while misguided, fought for a noble cause of State's Rights, and that it's symbols in the South today no more represent slavery or segregation than the Habsburg Eagle represents a desire to quash the Hungarian language and national consciousness. They are merely symbols of our proud region.

3.) The role of the government is currently too great, and must be reduced towards the state and the individual. Privatization in education, health care, social security, and welfare, and the reduction of wasteful government subsidies within these programs, must be a priority. However, I strongly oppose eliminating these programs completely; this is an era where the definiton of public works has grown with the changing times; both John Locke and Adam Smith viewed oublic works as a major function of government.

I again call for the alignment of the Republican and Manifest Destiny parties with this campaign for change. The positions of campaign co-chir remain open for the taking by Ernest and Josh22, who know as well as I do that this forum is at a crossroads. Will we continue the Gustaf revolution, or will we turn against all he has worked for and allow our forum to decay? If elected, I will be a proactive Senator. I will not just vote for bills, I will write and sponsor them. It's time for the South to rise again, as a glorious portion of our beautiful and expanding Atlasia. So remember, when the chips are doen: M '04, show them the door!

*Band begins playing Al Jolson's Carolina, M mingles, shaking hands and enjoying the kosher fried chicken that has been prepared for the event.
M

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2004, 12:12:36 AM »

Ernest, I believe this qualifies for the clarification on my priorities and stances you asked for. The campaign is waiting for you.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2004, 02:45:52 PM »

But I am also awaiting a statement from your opponent, Senator Harry, and with the election being over a month in the future, I'm not in a rush to make a decision.  All I will say for now is that there is nothing in your positions that would make my support unattaiable, but we do have, as is to be expected between any two people, differences on some issues.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies