My brother is going to visit probably the worst Biden precinct in the country!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 03:30:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My brother is going to visit probably the worst Biden precinct in the country!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My brother is going to visit probably the worst Biden precinct in the country!  (Read 348 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 26, 2023, 02:49:33 AM »

So he asked me to watch his cats at the end of March, because he has a trip planned. One of his friends got some sort of job in geological surveying and moved to Alaska years ago, so he'll be visiting him for a week then, which is also close to his birthday and overlaps with his friend's birthday. They're not only going to hang out in Anchorage where his friend works but also take two days with a trip to the most northern town in North America...previously known as Barrow, now some name that I can't spell offhand and won't ever even try to pronounce, so I'll still call it Barrow.

Anyway he'll be able to actually see the Arctic Ocean and be the first person in the family to go do so (or even go to Alaska at all) and will possibly even see some whales in addition to the indigenous Alaska wildlife and my mom is really jealous because she's always wanted to visit Alaska and is talking about how excited she is...well to be quite frank that place formerly known as Barrow looks absolutely miserable. I mean yeah it's cold obviously but I can't really complain about that...but it also has no bars, no alcohol sales...alcohol is legal if you import it yourself but you have to get a permit and it sounds like a mess...and obviously due to the isolation there might as well be no such thing as emo there. I imagine even cell service is spotty. And everything is expensive (like I hear those plastic wrapped pepperoni pizzas people like to make easy for things like sports watching parties that you find at every grocery store are like $17 apiece there) because of how it has to be imported...supposedly there are good jobs because of the oil industry but still, bleh. Just thinking about that place makes me uneasy! I mean yeah him and his friend will be just visiting, but still.

But it has a Biden precinct...regardless still one of the worst places in America easily.

Speaking of which somewhat related a few days my supervisor was talking about an Alaskan cruise he has planned and I asked my team if they'd rather attend Furnace Fest or an Alaskan cruise. Every single person besides me voted for the cruise.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 09:39:59 AM »

Barrow Utqiaġvik is far better than East St. Louis or Cairo in IL.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 01:40:27 PM »

I would like to visit Barrow (I would like to visit everywhere tbh) but I agree that living there is awful.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 12:50:16 AM »

That's really cool. I've wanted to go to Utqiaġvik (it's really not even that expensive, a one-way flight from San Francisco is under $350), but it didn't work out when I was in Alaska and I'll probably be in a different part of the state next time. It'd be exciting to see the midnight sun (I saw daylight at midnight in Fairbanks, but that's south of the Arctic Circle so the sun was below the horizon) and the city seems culturally interesting. The wildlife would be interesting, too; I've never seen muskoxen or polar bears in the wild, although I don't think either of those are guaranteed.

Of course food will be more expensive, but whatever, you're on vacation. If you're worried about that or cell reception you're missing the point. I'm excited for your brother. Let your mom know that Delta has direct flights from MSP to Fairbanks. Once they fix the Denali Park Road she should go, because it's the best place I've ever been.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 06:23:21 AM »

I wonder if I've ever lived in a Biden precinct.

Once or twice, maybe.  I've lived in predominantly Republican counties all my life for the most part.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 01:54:33 PM »

well to be quite frank that place formerly known as Barrow looks absolutely miserable. I mean yeah it's cold obviously but I can't really complain about that...but it also has no bars, no alcohol sales...alcohol is legal if you import it yourself but you have to get a permit and it sounds like a mess...and obviously due to the isolation there might as well be no such thing as emo there. I imagine even cell service is spotty. And everything is expensive (like I hear those plastic wrapped pepperoni pizzas people like to make easy for things like sports watching parties that you find at every grocery store are like $17 apiece there) because of how it has to be imported...supposedly there are good jobs because of the oil industry but still, bleh. Just thinking about that place makes me uneasy! I mean yeah him and his friend will be just visiting, but still.
Lots of rural Alaskan towns don't have bars or legal alcohol sales given how bad the crime problem is; Utqiagvik is not unique in that regard.
That's more just saying how bad rural Alaska is in general rather than a defense of Utqiagvik.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 01:56:19 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2023, 02:01:16 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

After 24 I am so pumped over Biden imminent reelection I am ready for Gallego to break the Filibuster all we need is 5 seats in H and Tester and Brown to win and that Jax Mayor poll doesn't bode well for RS in FL they aren't gonna win FL by 29 without Rubio on ballot Scott only won by 1 in 2018 same with OH the RS are toast without DeWine it's a 393 map but it's a 538 map too

S019 says RS are gonna win OH by 9 pts like 20 and Big thinks abs Forumluker who I don't know is Cathrina it's speculation because of that CO avatar says Ds are only gonna win WI by 5 Cathrina disappear and Forumluker is back on it's pure speculation but come in Ds might lose WI is the same thing Cathrina said because of Ron Johnson
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies