More Republican: English Americans or German Americans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:46:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More Republican: English Americans or German Americans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which ancestry group is more Republican?
English

German

Pretty much identical

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: More Republican: English Americans or German Americans  (Read 759 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2023, 04:25:14 PM »

Obviously there really is no "English vote" or "German vote." These are the two largest ancestry groups in the US.  Their vote really reflects their education, degree of religiosity, region etc.

Still, if everyone declaring English ancestry and everyone declaring German ancestry was tallied, would there be a notable difference?

A much higher percentage of English (41%) live in the South than do German (27%) though.  On the other hand, outside the South English may come out as more liberal than German.  English ancestry is common in New England while German ancestry is rare, and it has the most liberal whites in the country.  However it should be noted that only about 5% of Americans of English ancestry live in New England.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 08:15:51 PM »

Probably English Americans since more live in the south, although I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m the same regions Germans are more conservative than English although the overlap between these groups is so heavy to be almost indistinguishable.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 04:15:19 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2023, 04:34:31 PM by King of Kensington »

The most "English" places outside the South are New England and the Mormon belt.  Both are rather culturally distinct.  

New England Yankees are perhaps 5% of the English/American ancestry population, Mormons maybe 10%.  

Pennsylvania and the Midwest are clearly the "German American heartland."
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 07:24:09 PM »

I suspect the German American vote in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Dakotas pretty much matches the white vote in those states.

But in Ohio and Pennsylvania, say, they're going to be more R than the white average I think.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 08:03:58 PM »

Excellent.  I would say "pretty much identical."
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 01:00:09 PM »

Excellent.  I would say "pretty much identical."
I would also pull for Option 3, though I could see arguments for both groups.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 04:01:57 PM »

Interestingly Dutch and English basically identical.  Dutch American concentrations are notably conservative but there's little Dutch ancestry in the South. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2023, 04:06:27 PM »

And Norwegian a bit lower, again a factor of location I think rather than any specific "Norwegian vote."  Close to 20% in Minnesota alone.  A lot in Washington State too.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2023, 04:13:13 PM »

I calculated these estimates awhile ago based on the White vote by County project of mine (the granularity is only at the county level, so there is some degree of error here):

It's close, but reagente's analysis gives a slight, slight edge to English Americans for being more Republican at the time of the 2016 US presidential election.
Major props to the man who made this, this is some real high quality stuff. Russian Americans are interesting, what's the deal with them?
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2023, 04:20:38 PM »

I calculated these estimates awhile ago based on the White vote by County project of mine (the granularity is only at the county level, so there is some degree of error here):

-SNIP-

It's close, but reagente's analysis gives a slight, slight edge to English Americans for being more Republican at the time of the 2016 US presidential election.

Major props to the man who made this, this is some real high quality stuff. Russian Americans are interesting, what's the deal with them?

Judaism
Makes sense, I assume the Rs are probably Eastern Orthodox Russians
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2023, 04:22:50 PM »

-SNIP-

Judaism

IIRC a majority of people answering as Russian-American are Jewish; the bulk of the Republicans are going to be Conservative and Orthodox Jewish people from earlier waves of immigration, plus post-1992 Russian immigrants who are also disproportionately Jewish (and Republican).
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2023, 04:26:55 PM »

It's a county-level measure for white voters.  It's not going to perfectly capture Jews, but there are a lots of surveys and studies of Jewish voters.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2023, 04:37:39 PM »

-SNIP-

Judaism

IIRC a majority of people answering as Russian-American are Jewish; the bulk of the Republicans are going to be Conservative and Orthodox Jewish people from earlier waves of immigration, plus post-1992 Russian immigrants who are also disproportionately Jewish (and Republican).
Interesting!
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2023, 03:46:40 PM »

Regional distribution:

German ancestry

Northeast  15%
Midwest  38%
South  27%
West  20%

English ancestry