When did white college grads start voting to the left of whites without college degrees?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:41:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  When did white college grads start voting to the left of whites without college degrees?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did white college grads start voting to the left of whites without college degrees?  (Read 686 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2023, 02:44:57 AM »

Back when Republicans were more of a dominant party of the affluent, white college grads were more Republican than whites without degrees.  But now they're clearly a more Democratic group.  When did the "flip" occur?
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 03:27:22 AM »

2000 or 2004 would be my guess.
NotSoLucky
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.74, S: -8.43

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2023, 04:21:17 AM »

It started in 1992 after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Foreign policy kept the Reagan coalition together, so after the fall of the Soviets, old culture war stuff started to appear again.

The ancestrally republican northeast, and the more competitive Western states (including my home state) had a lot of these "Yankee republicans" who were more moderate on cultural issues. Many of them were middle class and college educated. Starting in 1992, these voters would abandon the Republicans due to their shift to the right during/after the Reagan era.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 08:56:56 PM »
« Edited: March 27, 2023, 09:02:41 PM by 🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸 »

Start happening consistently in 2000, but seems to have happened in 1984 also.
I don't see any data pre-1980, but my guess is that before 1980 white college graduates voted to the right of non-graduates with the exception of 1972.   That would mean Reagan made non-college whites vote similar to college whites, Bush made non-college whites vote to the right of white college grads, and Trump widened this gap.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies