Protesters Rally In Chisinau/Kishinev Against Moldova's Pro-Western Government
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:41:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Protesters Rally In Chisinau/Kishinev Against Moldova's Pro-Western Government
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Protesters Rally In Chisinau/Kishinev Against Moldova's Pro-Western Government  (Read 1943 times)
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2023, 06:23:19 PM »

https://www.rferl.org/a/chisinau-protesters-rally-against-moldova-government/32278318.html

Reasons for unrest:
Gas prices
Inflation
Pro-Russian sentiment 'closer ties to Russia and the CIS'
Maia Sandu's stance on Ukraine

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 08:24:42 PM »

Fixed the title for you
Logical

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 10:23:19 PM »

IMPEACH THIS
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 11:40:44 PM »

Fixed it further.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 12:12:24 AM »

It would be interesting to see if this leads to anything in the long run.
RGM2609
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 04:32:02 AM »

The Sor Party is widely seen as a central element to a potential coup due to its oligarchic ties (more like oligarchic ownership, it is named after Ilan Sor, who is guilty of conspiring to steal 1 billion dollars out of 3 banks in 2013-2014) and its popular discourse with appeal with unideological poor people (the large majority in Moldova). This protest is either a sort-of repetition for something bigger or, more likely, proof of the Sor Party's utter inability to deliver on its committments to the Russians.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2023, 07:14:24 AM »

At the moment, scepticism is probably warranted.

Though that could always change.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 10:52:08 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2023, 11:55:01 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

Oh boy Moldova might strike first and go into Transnistria

Edit:
Actually upon reading further into it Moldova doesn’t have a strong enough army to go into Transnistria alone so they would likely asked for Ukraine (and possibly Romania) help
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 01:28:09 PM »

At the moment, scepticism is probably warranted.

Though that could always change.
Agreed.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 02:07:58 PM »

Kishinev?! Honestly I don’t even think you are a Russian bot. Just a pathetic right wing shill who latches onto a decaying s**thole to own the libs. You are basically an unpaid intern for the Kremlin.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 02:12:00 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2023, 02:17:23 PM by Atlasian AG Punxsutawney Phil »

TIL that using Russian-language or Russian-derived names...the same names that Zelensky himself probably uses to himself...makes you a puppet.
Zelensky is a Putin puppet. Thanks for enlightening me.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 02:25:37 PM »

TIL that using Russian-language or Russian-derived names...the same names that Zelensky himself probably uses to himself...makes you a puppet.
I’m sorry Punxsutawney Putin, being a contrarian doesn’t make you smart nor special. Moldova is predominantly ROMANIAN SPEAKING. Plus in English, we have long referred to the city as Chișinău. That is the well known and recognized name of the meh city. Why the f**k did the woodsucker change it now? You know why.

If you are speaking Russian then sure call it Kishinev, but last I checked the LARPER probably can’t even read cyrillics (not that he knew the Latin alphabet either tbf)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 02:27:29 PM »

I’m sorry Punxsutawney Putin, being a contrarian doesn’t make you smart nor special. Moldova is predominantly ROMANIAN SPEAKING. Plus in English, we have long referred to the city as Chișinău. That is the well known and recognized name of the meh city. Why the f**k did the woodsucker change it now? You know why.
Well, you sure have talent in invective, even if what you say is far from the facts.
I still like you, btw.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 02:31:34 PM »

Well, you sure have talent in invective, even if what you say is far from the facts.
I still like you, btw.
I like you too, when I give you a name it means I care Smiley.

Anyways, who actually uses Kishinev in English media today? Google Search trends show that for at least 20 years, Chisinau has been the preferred name and is trending that way. I highly doubt Woody is a time traveler and it’s clear his use was intentional. Maybe if Woody was an ageing Cold War boomer with little care for politics or the news…I could understand, but lol he’s not obviously.
You aren’t wrong per say that at one point it was referred to as Kishinev and that there may be an extremely small contingent of English speakers who still refer to it as such in a casual setting, but I doubt Woody is a part of that dying club.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 02:38:02 PM »

I still like you, btw.

Anyways, who actually uses Kishinev in English media today? Google Search trends show that for at least 20 years, Chisinau has been the preferred name and is trending that way. I highly doubt Woody is a time traveler and it’s clear his use was intentional. Maybe if Woody was an ageing Cold War boomer with little care for politics or the news…I could understand, but lol he’s not obviously.
You aren’t wrong per say that at one point it was referred to as Kishinev and that there may be an extremely small contingent of English speakers who still refer to it as such in a casual setting, but I doubt Woody is a part of that dying club.

I never saw Kishinev until today. It turns out Kishinev is not what the city is called in Russian, or Ukrainian...for that matter. It's an English-language construction heavily based off Russian, but the Ukrainian name for the city is also significantly closer to Kishinev.
If I had to guess, Woody's deep in both the Ukrainian and Russian parts of the internet and so that makes his mind likelier to turn to Kishinev as opposed to Chisinau.
EDIT: feed Кишинів (Ukrainian name) and Кишинёв (Russian name) into Google Translate and see what it sounds like.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 05:34:52 PM »

I still like you, btw.

I know Russian. I took courses and have been in some parts of the former Soviet Union/CIS in the mid-2000s. The Chisinau or Kishinev name is literally a non-issue.

Except from some guy who lives in Colorado.
walleye26

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 06:37:18 PM »

I was wondering if the coup attempt would crush Moldova’s government or not.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 01:45:49 PM »

Honestly Moldova asking for Ukraine/Western intervention is picking up stem
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 04:39:45 PM »

Biden meets with Moldovan President Sandu in Warsaw:

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 07:45:02 PM »

This isn't good. If the war makes it to Moldova, it's making it to the rest of Europe too.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2023, 05:10:38 PM »

Kishinev?! Honestly I don’t even think you are a Russian bot. Just a pathetic right wing shill who latches onto a decaying s**thole to own the libs. You are basically an unpaid intern for the Kremlin.

I occasionally say "Kishinyev", and often say "Kiev", because Russian is my primary foreign language.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2023, 05:26:56 PM »

I occasionally say "Kishinyev", and often say "Kiev", because Russian is my primary foreign language.

Both look and sound more natural in English than the post-Soviet neologisms that media outlets use.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2023, 05:27:44 PM »

That’s different. For you it’s your primary language. It makes sense.

Unless the memes about Woodbury being some Russian troll are actually true (which I doubt) or Woodbury is a native Russian speaker (again doubt) then I don’t think it’s the same.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2023, 05:39:34 PM »

Honestly Moldova asking for Ukraine/Western intervention is picking up stem

If that is indeed the case, then it would be prudent for Moldova and Ukraine (with NATO's blessing) to liquidate Russian forces in Transnistria before Putin can succeed in overthrowing the current Moldovan government and place Russian reinforcements in the area.  
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2023, 06:55:37 PM »

Both look and sound more natural in English than the post-Soviet neologisms that media outlets use.

Chisinau (Romanian Chișinău) is not a neologism, it's the original Romanian name of the city without the diacritics. It's just weird to use the Russian name for the capital of a Romance speaking country, much weirder than using Kiev for Kyiv.

You could maybe use the Spanish form Chisináu instead since Americans are so used to seeing Spanish city names, but not that Slavic sh**t.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies