Why are Republicans dovish on Russia but hawkish on China? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:54:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Why are Republicans dovish on Russia but hawkish on China? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are Republicans dovish on Russia but hawkish on China?  (Read 1924 times)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: February 20, 2023, 02:09:02 PM »

Hard to not see how ideology plays into it. Russia portrays itself as a traditional, conservative, religious state with a strong (white, male) leader - something that appeals to a lot of the GOP. China is obviously communist (at least in name if not always in practice) and not a European power. That's not to say there aren't some elements of China that Republicans don't admire, just that it's practically custom-built to be a conservative boogeyman in a way that Russia hasn't been since the days of the Cold War.

The interesting thing (to me, at least) is how this really isn't reflected across the aisle. Basically every remotely mainstream Democrat dislikes both Russia and China on "they're authoritarian" grounds pretty equally. Maybe Russia has overtaken China as the biggest bully since the Ukraine invasion, but even now, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Biden voter who speaks positively of the Chinese government. Are there people on the left who like Xi? Sure. But do they have anywhere near the level of influence as people on the right who like Putin? Absolutely not. And that's not me trying to get a jab in against Republicans (well, maybe a bit), but more just to ask why that is, when there's really no structural reason in the differences between the parties why one would be more inclined to look at foreign adversaries through a more ideological lens than the other.

The intellectually lazy TL;DR of this is racism and white supremacy. Jabs at low-effort soundbite talking points aside, I would strongly argue that anti-China sentiment across the aisle would still be very much a thing even if the country remained (nominally) KMT-controlled.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 03:46:01 PM »

Hard to not see how ideology plays into it. Russia portrays itself as a traditional, conservative, religious state with a strong (white, male) leader - something that appeals to a lot of the GOP. China is obviously communist (at least in name if not always in practice) and not a European power. That's not to say there aren't some elements of China that Republicans don't admire, just that it's practically custom-built to be a conservative boogeyman in a way that Russia hasn't been since the days of the Cold War.

The interesting thing (to me, at least) is how this really isn't reflected across the aisle. Basically every remotely mainstream Democrat dislikes both Russia and China on "they're authoritarian" grounds pretty equally. Maybe Russia has overtaken China as the biggest bully since the Ukraine invasion, but even now, you'd be hard-pressed to find a Biden voter who speaks positively of the Chinese government. Are there people on the left who like Xi? Sure. But do they have anywhere near the level of influence as people on the right who like Putin? Absolutely not. And that's not me trying to get a jab in against Republicans (well, maybe a bit), but more just to ask why that is, when there's really no structural reason in the differences between the parties why one would be more inclined to look at foreign adversaries through a more ideological lens than the other.

The intellectually lazy TL;DR of this is racism and white supremacy. Jabs at low-effort soundbite talking points aside, I would strongly argue that anti-China sentiment across the aisle would still be very much a thing even if the country remained (nominally) KMT-controlled.

Yeah, I agree. Consider how bad anti-Japanese sentiment got in the late 1980s, when the country was a major US ally -- even a nominally KMT-controlled China probably wouldn't be as close to the US as postwar Japan.

Postwar Japan's alliance with the US is mostly due to the Cold War-era threat of international Communism. Its endurance past that era makes me think it's now more based on realpolitik and the nationalist impulses that shared civilizational roots with a rising, potentially militant superpower bring.

In any case the KMT probably would've remained fairly authoritarian and skeptical of Washington in a timeline where they defeated the CCP, so there might still be some sort of US-Japan alliance. Would be interesting to ponder what happens to semiconductor manufacturing in this scenario...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies