Religious revival in Kentucky (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:52:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Religious revival in Kentucky (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Religious revival in Kentucky  (Read 1091 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« on: February 19, 2023, 09:24:01 PM »

It's always interesting coming here and hearing about things I otherwise would never have known about.

What makes this special though? I browsed the Wikipedia article about it and this event doesn't even seem significant enough to warrant its own article.

There was apparently a similar revival at the same college about fifty years ago that had a lasting influence on the direction of American Protestantism.

Can you link some articles or provide some references for this? I've tried checking the sources provided at the Wikipedia article but they only sparingly refer to the 1970 revival, and don't at all talk about any "national ramifications" that it had.

3. is occurring within a tradition that has been struggling to retain members over the past 50 years makes it nationally significant.

Which Methodist group are they affiliated with? Is there any indication the majority of members there are actually primarily focused on Methodism or whatever that entails, rather than a general Protestant Christian movement?

Asbury University is associated with conservative Methodist groups.  But, the revival hasn't been uniquely tailored to any one denomination.  People from all denominations have been going- and it's made pretty significant headlines in evangelical circles.

One of the pastors at my church visited this week.  He gave a quick report at the start of church today and offered a time for people to repent of sin like has been happening at Asbury.  It turned into a 90 minute worship service where no traditional sermon was even given today.  But, it was beautiful!
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »

What in the hell are young people doing hanging out in an auditorium on weekdays? Clearly they don't have jobs.
They're mostly college students.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 01:57:51 PM »

What in the hell are young people doing hanging out in an auditorium on weekdays? Clearly they don't have jobs.
They're mostly college students.

Oh yeah, "full-time students". Yep, going to class five hours a day definitely prevents them from having time for a job. Give me a break. This is a separate issue, but it's really tough for me to be sympathetic to college grads who work a grand total of 30 paid hours over the course of their entire time at university and then wonder why they're in dire straits financially and have no job prospects once they get their degree. There is nothing more unattractive and unbecoming than grown men and women who think they're above work. Maybe if this was a "People working for a living" revival in Kentucky then this story would be a little more exciting. Anyway, I better get back to work. Sorry for the rant.

I only ever worked in summer internships until I graduated college.  Now, I wasn't paying for my own college, but I didn't feel above work and started a full-time job right after graduation.  I've been in that same job for five years now.

I'm sure that's a relatively common experience.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies