Religious revival in Kentucky
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:25:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Religious revival in Kentucky
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Religious revival in Kentucky  (Read 1017 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 19, 2023, 05:52:38 PM »

It is incredible to witness especially with social media as I am seeing it unfold as it’s happening. I’m hoping it’ll spread to the four corners of the Earth.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 06:38:57 PM »

imagine the smell
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2023, 06:54:30 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2023, 07:00:01 PM by Biden his time »

It's always interesting coming here and hearing about things I otherwise would never have known about.

What makes this special though? I browsed the Wikipedia article about it and this event doesn't even seem significant enough to warrant its own article.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 08:18:50 PM »

It's always interesting coming here and hearing about things I otherwise would never have known about.

What makes this special though? I browsed the Wikipedia article about it and this event doesn't even seem significant enough to warrant its own article.

There was apparently a similar revival at the same college about fifty years ago that had a lasting influence on the direction of American Protestantism. It's also unusual to see this sort of thing so heavily prioritizing specifically young people's religious expressions, apparently at times to the point of barring people past college age from the auditorium.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 08:23:16 PM »

There was apparently a similar revival at the same college about fifty years ago that had a lasting influence on the direction of American Protestantism. It's also unusual to see this sort of thing so heavily prioritizing specifically young people's religious expressions, apparently at times to the point of barring people past college age from the auditorium.

Yes, the fact that it 1. happened spontaneously (we would say by the influence of the Holy Spirit) with no evidence of coordination or showmanship 2. is at a college and impacting primarily college-aged people and 3. is occurring within a tradition that has been struggling to retain members over the past 50 years makes it nationally significant. 

Revivals of this sort have had important impacts on American history.  They were instrumental in the Abolitionist movement, for example. 
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 09:13:17 PM »

There was apparently a similar revival at the same college about fifty years ago that had a lasting influence on the direction of American Protestantism.

Can you link some articles or provide some references for this? I've tried checking the sources provided at the Wikipedia article but they only sparingly refer to the 1970 revival, and don't at all talk about any "national ramifications" that it had.

3. is occurring within a tradition that has been struggling to retain members over the past 50 years makes it nationally significant.

Which Methodist group are they affiliated with? Is there any indication the majority of members there are actually primarily focused on Methodism or whatever that entails, rather than a general Protestant Christian movement?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 09:24:01 PM »

There was apparently a similar revival at the same college about fifty years ago that had a lasting influence on the direction of American Protestantism.

Can you link some articles or provide some references for this? I've tried checking the sources provided at the Wikipedia article but they only sparingly refer to the 1970 revival, and don't at all talk about any "national ramifications" that it had.

3. is occurring within a tradition that has been struggling to retain members over the past 50 years makes it nationally significant.

Which Methodist group are they affiliated with? Is there any indication the majority of members there are actually primarily focused on Methodism or whatever that entails, rather than a general Protestant Christian movement?

Asbury University is associated with conservative Methodist groups.  But, the revival hasn't been uniquely tailored to any one denomination.  People from all denominations have been going- and it's made pretty significant headlines in evangelical circles.

One of the pastors at my church visited this week.  He gave a quick report at the start of church today and offered a time for people to repent of sin like has been happening at Asbury.  It turned into a 90 minute worship service where no traditional sermon was even given today.  But, it was beautiful!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2023, 09:43:39 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2023, 09:48:15 PM by Skill and Chance »

Asbury University is associated with conservative Methodist groups.  But, the revival hasn't been uniquely tailored to any one denomination.  People from all denominations have been going- and it's made pretty significant headlines in evangelical circles.

One of the pastors at my church visited this week.  He gave a quick report at the start of church today and offered a time for people to repent of sin like has been happening at Asbury.  It turned into a 90 minute worship service where no traditional sermon was even given today.  But, it was beautiful!

Yes, it's not a specifically Methodist thing at all now, but it's interesting that it did start with them. 

As you note, Asbury is far from the median Methodist group in the US, but in the theologically/culturally conservative right tail.  They don't seem to have shifted doctrinally over the past 50 years like the UMC has.  They aim to follow the original Wesleyan holiness tradition as closely as possible.  In this sense, they are probably more at home with Baptists and non-denominational Evangelical traditions that have generally avoided accommodating cultural change.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 08:48:18 AM »

What in the hell are young people doing hanging out in an auditorium on weekdays? Clearly they don't have jobs.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 12:59:53 PM »

What in the hell are young people doing hanging out in an auditorium on weekdays? Clearly they don't have jobs.
They're mostly college students.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »

Oh yeah, "full-time students". Yep, going to class five hours a day definitely prevents them from having time for a job. Give me a break. This is a separate issue, but it's really tough for me to be sympathetic to college grads who work a grand total of 30 paid hours over the course of their entire time at university and then wonder why they're in dire straits financially and have no job prospects once they get their degree. There is nothing more unattractive and unbecoming than grown men and women who think they're above work. Maybe if this was a "People working for a living" revival in Kentucky then this story would be a little more exciting. Anyway, I better get back to work. Sorry for the rant.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2023, 01:57:51 PM »

Oh yeah, "full-time students". Yep, going to class five hours a day definitely prevents them from having time for a job. Give me a break. This is a separate issue, but it's really tough for me to be sympathetic to college grads who work a grand total of 30 paid hours over the course of their entire time at university and then wonder why they're in dire straits financially and have no job prospects once they get their degree. There is nothing more unattractive and unbecoming than grown men and women who think they're above work. Maybe if this was a "People working for a living" revival in Kentucky then this story would be a little more exciting. Anyway, I better get back to work. Sorry for the rant.

I only ever worked in summer internships until I graduated college.  Now, I wasn't paying for my own college, but I didn't feel above work and started a full-time job right after graduation.  I've been in that same job for five years now.

I'm sure that's a relatively common experience.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2023, 07:55:37 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2023, 11:58:28 AM by These knuckles break before they bleed »

Alben Barkley isn't too far away...he totally needs to get to this! I sure would if I was in the area.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2023, 08:26:05 PM »

Yes, the fact that it 1. happened spontaneously (we would say by the influence of the Holy Spirit) with no evidence of coordination or showmanship

I have my doubts about that, as this college has Very frequent "revivals", with previous ones in 1905, 1908, 1921, 1950, 1958, 1970, 1992, and 2006. By now, I'm pretty sure the execs know full well how to exploit them
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2023, 09:36:08 PM »

Yes, the fact that it 1. happened spontaneously (we would say by the influence of the Holy Spirit) with no evidence of coordination or showmanship

I have my doubts about that, as this college has Very frequent "revivals", with previous ones in 1905, 1908, 1921, 1950, 1958, 1970, 1992, and 2006. By now, I'm pretty sure the execs know full well how to exploit them

Valid point that this isn't unprecedented, but 17 years is a long time, and there hasn't been one on this scale since 1970.  I could be wrong but it doesn't strike me as something scheduled at all.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 11:02:05 PM »

That's less than once every 12 years, would not call that "very frequent"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 11:24:55 PM »

Alben Barkley isn't too far away...he totally needs to get to thud! I sure would if I was in the area.
Although it does appear this is in a Trump+41 precinct...I would definitely need the blessing of the Holy Spirit surrounding me when traveling to it.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 08:33:04 AM »

This is an intriguing story. I'm not sure what to make of it, just because as someone who grew up in an area with almost no evangelical/evangelical-adjacent people, this revival reflects a whole swath of Christianity that I've never actually experienced.

It being led by young people is also interesting, though I wonder if this is a case of what I call "religious polarization" than otherwise non-religious or mildly religious being moved.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 11:19:24 AM »

Generation Z living up to their Artist archetype!
Snow Belt Republican
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 11:39:15 AM »

Just wait until the 2040s, then the US, in theory, will have a religious revival!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2023, 11:56:01 AM »

Didn't Strauss and Howe have Millennials ending up as conscientious civic traditionalists, though?  That's a pretty clear red flag for their cyclical system.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2023, 07:05:43 PM »

Didn't Strauss and Howe have Millennials ending up as conscientious civic traditionalists, though?  That's a pretty clear red flag for their cyclical system.

I think you actually can massage the definitions of "conscientious", "civic", and "traditionalist" so as to make this make sense, but that says more about how vague and confirmation-bias-prone the model is than it says about anything else.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 07:57:57 PM »

Interesting, i'd never do this though.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2023, 10:26:39 PM »

I think you actually can massage the definitions of "conscientious", "civic", and "traditionalist" so as to make this make sense, but that says more about how vague and confirmation-bias-prone the model is than it says about anything else.

The comparison would be to the people who fought the American Revolution or WWII, with the emphasis being willing to work yourself to the bone and maybe even die young to establish/preserve an institution.  I just don't see it.  The most plausible argument would involve civil rights activism, but that actually fits at a different point in their generational cycle.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2023, 04:44:41 PM »

It’s gone way beyond Asbury y’all. Just look at Facebook for the running list.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies