The Seven Factions of NYC Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:31:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The Seven Factions of NYC Politics
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Seven Factions of NYC Politics  (Read 643 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 17, 2023, 01:45:57 PM »
« edited: February 17, 2023, 01:54:53 PM by Torie »

Just like Rome has seven hills, NYC has seven factions. Thanks to RRH for the hat tip.

I am still digesting it. Despite all of its glorious diversity, I really don't think there is a hood like Hoboken in NYC btw. I really don't.

https://michaellange.substack.com/p/the-seven-factions-of-new-york-city?utm_source=direct&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Given its geographic focus, I thought it right and fitting this article be put on this Board, particularly inasmuch it gets so deep into the weeds of nerddom.

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2023, 01:56:26 PM »

I read this article and laughed. It's way, way too focused on white people and white politicians.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2023, 02:11:32 PM »

In image after image of faces, what I saw was a rainbow myself.  Sunglasses
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2023, 03:05:32 PM »

I read this article and laughed. It's way, way too focused on white people and white politicians.

Their placement of the Brooklyn and Queens Chinatowns in "County-aligned Moderates" seems intuitively correct to my outsider perspective. From my outsider perspective, it also seems like the heavily Latino areas are "establishment" and not "moderate" like the heavily Black areas.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2023, 05:49:00 PM »

White pols still control NYC, especially the New and Old Republicans....they control the NYPD and FDNY.......despite county-aligned moderates and center-left establishment giving the NYPD/FDNY money and the cops and firefighters still don't respect them--look at how they want the first female fire chief fired...

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 08:53:15 PM »

Their placement of the Brooklyn and Queens Chinatowns in "County-aligned Moderates" seems intuitively correct to my outsider perspective. From my outsider perspective, it also seems like the heavily Latino areas are "establishment" and not "moderate" like the heavily Black areas.

Response to a bronz4141-style question that someone else wrote:
Why do white liberals bow down to minorities?
Rephrasing the question to the less offensive, more interesting, but similar: What do White Liberals get out of their alliance with American minorities?

Funnily enough, the same thing that American minorities get out of the alliance: cultural autonomy.

American minorities are, on the whole, very socially conservative. White Liberals are really not. They are the least conservative of all groups, by far.

However, the conservatism of American minorities is not expansive. Meaning: they’re not trying to assimilate others. In most cases, they explicitly do not want outsiders to take on their cultures. Instead, American minorities want cultural autonomy. They want to be free to do their own thing within their own communities, and with that granted, are largely content to leave other cultures alone.

This is in stark contrast to White Conservatism, which is expansive and assimilationist.

So White Liberals have a choice:
  • Ally with the White Conservatives, who are openly contemptuous of White Liberalism and seek its marginalization or elimination
  • Ally with American minorities, who are deeply conservative for themselves but really don’t give a sh**t about what out-groups do
The smart choice is clear, no?

White Liberals, as part of this alliance, will promote diversity and anti-racism. This is their concession to the Coalition (all groups concede something). In return, they are free to do their thing within Coalition-controlled spaces. For example: places that are politically influenced/controlled by African-Americans — one of the most conservative groups in America — tend to protect White Liberal culture all the same.

LGBT+ parade in Jackson, MS. Jackson is majority-black (by far — like almost 80%), and Black Mississippians are deeply conservative. Yet the city is one of the most LGBT-friendly areas in Mississippi.

So they are certainly getting things out of the alliance.

NOTE: This was purely a political answer, though I do not want to imply that the entire coalition rests on realpolitik. Plenty of people are true believers in the cause, in one way or another.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 10:13:11 PM »

Response to a bronz4141-style question that someone else wrote:
Why do white liberals bow down to minorities?
Rephrasing the question to the less offensive, more interesting, but similar: What do White Liberals get out of their alliance with American minorities?

Funnily enough, the same thing that American minorities get out of the alliance: cultural autonomy.

American minorities are, on the whole, very socially conservative. White Liberals are really not. They are the least conservative of all groups, by far.

However, the conservatism of American minorities is not expansive. Meaning: they’re not trying to assimilate others. In most cases, they explicitly do not want outsiders to take on their cultures. Instead, American minorities want cultural autonomy. They want to be free to do their own thing within their own communities, and with that granted, are largely content to leave other cultures alone.

This is in stark contrast to White Conservatism, which is expansive and assimilationist.

So White Liberals have a choice:
  • Ally with the White Conservatives, who are openly contemptuous of White Liberalism and seek its marginalization or elimination
  • Ally with American minorities, who are deeply conservative for themselves but really don’t give a sh**t about what out-groups do
The smart choice is clear, no?

White Liberals, as part of this alliance, will promote diversity and anti-racism. This is their concession to the Coalition (all groups concede something). In return, they are free to do their thing within Coalition-controlled spaces. For example: places that are politically influenced/controlled by African-Americans — one of the most conservative groups in America — tend to protect White Liberal culture all the same.

LGBT+ parade in Jackson, MS. Jackson is majority-black (by far — like almost 80%), and Black Mississippians are deeply conservative. Yet the city is one of the most LGBT-friendly areas in Mississippi.

So they are certainly getting things out of the alliance.

NOTE: This was purely a political answer, though I do not want to imply that the entire coalition rests on realpolitik. Plenty of people are true believers in the cause, in one way or another.

I think it’s a stretch to say that black americans are “one of the most conservative”
groups in America. They may on average tend to lean more socially conservative on average then white americans but even there it’s hardly universal and even those that are socially conservative tend to be more progressive on other issues then white social conservatives. Frankly these generalizations are so sweeping they border on racist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies