What is a McCain Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:38:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What is a McCain Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is a McCain Republican?  (Read 1126 times)
Cyrusman
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2023, 07:40:42 PM »

I've seen this term "McCain Republican" being floated around a lot the last 6 months or so, especially relating to AZ, but what is the definition of these people?

Are these people really Republicans or just independents/moderate Democrats who just loved John McCain and voted only for him?

It seems to me that these people are more so slightly left leaning vs right leaning because it's not only Trump, but pretty much any Republican in the last 6 years that they are not voting for AND they are also voting Democrat in the process vs just sitting out/third party/write in.
Was John McCain the main and only figure keeping these group of people voting GOP and naturally they are center left voters?

To me, these voters are different that just republicans who hate Trump, but will vote for most all other "normal" GOP candidates. To me, this group seems more liberal.

Wanted everyone's take?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 07:45:38 PM »

Today? Democrats.

But McCain Republicans used to be a major part of the Republican coalition.
Cyrusman
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2023, 04:49:52 PM »

Today? Democrats.

But McCain Republicans used to be a major part of the Republican coalition.

So what would be the difference between a "McCain Republican" and an normal republican who hates/will not vote for Trump, but would vote for any other republican who don't believe in stolen election conspiracy theories? Cause to me, these are two different groups.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 05:23:51 PM »

Maverick it means compassionate Conserv like Lincoln, Nixon and Eisenhower were a Susan Collins RS

Federalist meant Judicial review on Slavery and Apartheid but since Jay Edgar Hoover it's been moving in a States rights direction

Tories are Ronald Reagan R
Cyrusman
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 07:06:58 PM »

Anyone else have a take?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 07:37:05 PM »

"McCain R" is a convenient label for a specific segment of people who switch from one party to another (often for identity-driven ones influenced by shibboleths). Every era has these kinds of people.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »

"McCain R" is a convenient label for a specific segment of people who switch from one party to another (often for identity-driven ones influenced by shibboleths). Every era has these kinds of people.
Correct, but I would argue about 90% of voters fall into the indenture driven category. Definitely not just the “McCain” Republicans.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 04:40:51 PM »

A "McCain Republican" has no identifiable policy beliefs because John McCain himself was a political chameleon who always took an antagonistic stance against the conservative establishment within his own party.

As far as voters like this do exist, they're Arizona Republicans who give great deference to establishment media narratives and the Sunday morning talk show circuit.  Not too smart! 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 10:11:39 PM »

I actually saw a (very faded and weathered) McCain-Palin sticker on the back window of a pickup today.

First time I'd seen one in a decade. No other political campaign stickers on it. Just various military/veteran-related ones.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 10:28:21 PM »

Establishment conservatives with a strong preference for interventionism; often themselves from military families. This was once a very common type, but it's gotten much less so over the past decade and a half, and is now mostly to be found among older voters. In many places, like AZ itself, they've substantially gone over to the Democrats, though I think in the Midwest they're a swing demographic. More common than people think, because older voters use social media less.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 10:32:18 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2023, 12:55:17 AM by Roll Roons »

Establishment conservatives with a strong preference for interventionism; often themselves from military families. This was once a very common type, but it's gotten much less so over the past decade and a half, and is now mostly to be found among older voters. In many places, like AZ itself, they've substantially gone over to the Democrats, though I think in the Midwest they're a swing demographic. More common than people think, because older voters use social media less.

Mostly accurate, but I would say that even in AZ, these people are generally still swing voters who would generally vote for an establishment-type Republican but not a Trumpy one.

However, I think their preference in a vacuum would be to still vote for Republicans over Democrats. It's just that Trump and most of the recent statewide candidates have been unpalatable.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2023, 01:18:02 AM »

Mostly accurate, but I would say that even in AZ, these people are generally still swing voters who would generally vote for an establishment-type Republican but not a Trumpy one.

However, I think their preference in a vacuum would be to still vote for Republicans over Democrats. It's just that Trump and most of the recent statewide candidates have been unpalatable.

The issue is the kind of Republican you’re describe does not exist anymore. The party might as well have changed it’s name. The trumpy ones are the establishment. Marjorie Taylor Greene is in the McCarthy inner circle now.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 02:22:49 PM »

A relative centrist who prioritizes foreign policy and national security issues when voting. Some might have still voted for Trump in 2016 based off his immigration views (despite his attacks on McCain and Graham), but they have surely soured on him since.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 03:36:37 PM »

Bob Dole, Pete King, Joe Lieberman types.

darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2023, 07:26:42 PM »

Very hawkish, against torture, supports strict campaign finance laws, and liberal on immigration.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 06:51:52 PM »

A republican named McCain
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies