Would you rather live in Virginia or Missouri?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 05:29:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather live in Virginia or Missouri?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Missouri

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Would you rather live in Virginia or Missouri?  (Read 1384 times)
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2023, 05:31:11 PM »
« edited: February 15, 2023, 05:42:23 PM by jimmie »

exit polls show this will be a landslide win for the state further east.

Missouri is not exactly a terrible state. No states are really. As someone as values natural scenery, it can be quite grating. Though around St. Louis can be pretty scenic especially in Spring and Fall.

Kansas City and St. Louis are both quite clean compared to their reputations and quality of life is very high in most of St. Louis County and Kansas City suburbs.

But the amount of violent crime in Missouri cities, even in places like Springfield, I do not miss.

But the general low cost of living, having two major urban areas, several medium size cities, generally nice people, and a lot of things to do make Missouri a solid state to live in as well.

I'd say St. Louis, MO is nicer to live in than Richmond, VA. But I would rather live in DC area than either!
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2023, 08:32:12 PM »

I already live in NOVA, so Virginia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2023, 08:36:52 PM »

Virginia, obviously, though if the nation's capital was to be shifted to Kansas City (or to the general vicinity), I would move there accordingly -my job is closely tied to the federal government. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2023, 08:48:51 PM »

Virginia and it's not even remotely close.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2023, 09:12:16 PM »

Virginia.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2023, 12:34:28 AM »

Who voted for Missouri in this poll?"??

A partisan Republican who did so because he/she/it knows that Virginia will vote for Biden and Missouri will vote for Desuckass in 2024? Not everything is politics ya know.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2023, 01:08:20 AM »

NOVA is just stupid expensive isn't it?  What would be the major differences between rural VA and rural MO.  Cheaper gas and sin taxes in MO.  I'm thinking suburban KC would be the best place to live in either state.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2023, 01:10:26 AM »

Missouri. Better food, better culture, and no DC suits.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2023, 02:03:26 AM »

To be honest, I don't find Virginia an appealing state to live in at all.

The reason mostly comes down to it having three major metro areas:

-NOVA, aka the Virginia side of the DC metro.
-Richmond
-Hampton Roads

NOVA is an unaffordable sprawly mess. Richmond doesn't seem too bad if you can get past its history, but it also not that large of a city and often overlooked aside from its status as a capital and historically, so you could do much better. Hampton Roads also seems like an oft-overlooked metro area with an inconvenient shape. Places like Charlottesville would be fun up until about your mid-20s but don't really serve well beyond that.

So in a vacuum Kansas City and St. Louis are better than anywhere in Virginia. But outside of that and taking politics into account...I might have to go with Richmond or Hampton Roads. Would depend on a lot of factors. Funny thing is both of the metros in Missouri are also next to better states to live in, would definitely live on the Illinois side if I lived in metro St. Louis and probably Kansas in Kansas City...but the question does explicitly ask for Missouri. So I dunno. What I do know is that even if money was no object for me I would never live in NOVA and would go to the Maryland side, (DC is one of the few metros where I wouldn't live in the city proper because I'd be too OCD about my vote being effectively worthless, and the Maryland side actually has some pretty urban and dense areas anyway.)
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2023, 09:39:23 AM »

A partisan Republican who did so because he/she/it knows that Virginia will vote for Biden and Missouri will vote for Desuckass in 2024? Not everything is politics ya know.

*raises hand*
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2023, 09:48:26 AM »

Virginia, I'm sure there are places in Missouri I'd get on just fine but I'm honestly tired of living in a red state.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 12:45:52 PM »

that would be me

<--- observe
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2023, 02:28:24 PM »

Easily Virginia.

Preferably NoVa, or more specifically Alexandria. It seems an interesting place (I chose it as location for parts of my novel).
retromike22
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2023, 03:10:24 PM »

I have been to both a few times and Virginia is vastly better.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 03:23:32 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 04:25:13 PM by Just Passion Through »

-Richmond
-Hampton Roads

NOVA is an unaffordable sprawly mess. Richmond doesn't seem too bad if you can get past its history, but it also not that large of a city and often overlooked aside from its status as a capital and historically, so you could do much better. Hampton Roads also seems like an oft-overlooked metro area with an inconvenient shape. Places like Charlottesville would be fun up until about your mid-20s but don't really serve well beyond that.

So in a vacuum Kansas City and St. Louis are better than anywhere in Virginia. But outside of that and taking politics into account...I might have to go with Richmond or Hampton Roads. Would depend on a lot of factors. Unless thing is both of the metros in Missouri are also next to better states to live in, would definitely live on the Illinois side if I lived in metro St. Louis and probably Kansas in Kansas City...but the question does explicitly ask for Missouri. So I dunno. What I do know is that even if money was no object for me I would never live in NOVA and would go to the Maryland side, (DC is one of the few metros where I wouldn't live in the city proper because I'd be too OCD about my vote being effectively worthless, and the Maryland side actually has some pretty urban and dense areas anyway.)

Like I tell people all the time, the Hampton Roads has the worst crime in the state, and if you're in Virginia Beach, don't count on a bunch of military rejects in blue uniforms to help you, when I can personally attest to them doing the opposite. The only redeeming features of the Hampton Roads are the boats and Virginia Beach strip, which is better enjoyed as a tourist than a resident.

Richmond would be fine for you.

Also, what do you mean by "fun up until your mid-20s?"
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2023, 03:27:38 PM »

Virginia is closer to North Carolina, so Virginia
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2023, 03:29:03 PM »

-Richmond
-Hampton Roads

So in a vacuum Kansas City and St. Louis are better than anywhere in Virginia. But outside of that and taking politics into account...I might have to go with Richmond or Hampton Roads. Would depend on a lot of factors. Unless thing is both of the metros in Missouri are also next to better states to live in, would definitely live on the Illinois side if I lived in metro St. Louis and probably Kansas in Kansas City...but the question does explicitly ask for Missouri. So I dunno. What I do know is that even if money was no object for me I would never live in NOVA and would go to the Maryland side, (DC is one of the few metros where I wouldn't live in the city proper because I'd be too OCD about my vote being effectively worthless, and the Maryland side actually has some pretty urban and dense areas anyway.)

Like I tell people all the time, the Hampton Roads has the worst crime in the state, and if you're in Virginia Beach, don't count on a bunch of military rejects in blue uniforms to help you, when I can personally attest to them doing the opposite. The only the redeeming features of the Hampton Roads are the boats and Virginia Beach strip, which is better enjoyed as a tourist than a resident.

Richmond would be fine for you.

Also, what do you mean by "fun up until your mid-20s?"
College town type lifestyle is very fun when you're college aged but it doesn't fit me well once I aged out of that. Maybe I'm an exception and yeah college towns still have a bunch of grad students and university employees in their 30s too, but Charlottesville seems like it would be pretty dull to me today. I would get maybe like one local show every two months I'd be interested in going to and most of the time I'd have to commute an hour away to Richmond.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2023, 04:17:40 PM »

How much money do I earn? As long as I get to live in a nice safe suburb with a good track record for education, I'm happy. I'll take Virginia because it's me.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2023, 04:22:18 PM »
« Edited: February 16, 2023, 04:28:31 PM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

In my own personal experiences, Virginia ranks third behind Cali and Montana in terms of guy-hotness.  

So Virginia.  
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2023, 07:56:31 PM »

In my own personal experiences, Virginia ranks third behind Cali and Montana in terms of guy-hotness. 

So Virginia. 

Well it is for lovers.  You elected to be closer to the crabs though.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2023, 09:47:49 PM »

A native Missourian voted for Virginia here.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2023, 10:59:22 PM »

Virginia, obviously, though if the nation's capital was to be shifted to Kansas City (or to the general vicinity), I would move there accordingly -my job is closely tied to the federal government.  

Considering Kansas City is I believe the most centrally located major city, there's an interestingly strong argument that it SHOULD be the capital. Not that it ever will be.

Anyway, as of now Virginia easily wins. I could see myself living anywhere from NoVA to Roanoke to Richmond to Hampton Roads. Beautiful state, one of my favorites.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2023, 12:02:15 AM »

Considering Kansas City is I believe the most centrally located major city, there's an interestingly strong argument that it SHOULD be the capital. Not that it ever will be.

Anyway, as of now Virginia easily wins. I could see myself living anywhere from NoVA to Roanoke to Richmond to Hampton Roads. Beautiful state, one of my favorites.
It's not really important in Current Year for a capital to be centrally located nor has it been for decades. DC is within a day's drive from many major population centers and an easy flight as a central hub from the west. It works.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2023, 04:45:32 PM »

Missouri, only because it would put me closer to my closest living blood relative.

If that were not a consideration, I would choose Virginia, particularly that part in the westernmost part of the state.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »

Missouri, only because it would put me closer to my closest living blood relative.

If that were not a consideration, I would choose Virginia, particularly that part in the westernmost part of the state.

Yeah, the Appalachian parts of Virginia are probably pretty nice. NOVA and the coast are godawful, though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies