SB 113-54: All People Are Worthy Beings Act (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:56:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 113-54: All People Are Worthy Beings Act (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 113-54: All People Are Worthy Beings Act (Tabled)  (Read 252 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 15, 2023, 01:11:01 PM »
« edited: February 25, 2023, 08:06:19 AM by Mr. Reactionary »

All People Are Worthy Beings Act

Section I - Title
This bill may be cited as All People Are Worthy Beings Act

Section II - Banning DSM-V

1. Any federal organization within the republic of Atlasia will no longer recognise the diagnostic manual of mental disorders.
2. All current diagnoses and pre-existing diagnoses from the DSM-V manual will be considered invalid and will be immediately unrecognised, this includes the following diagnosises:

a. Neurodevelopmental Disorders
b. Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders
c. Bipolar and Related Disorders
d. Depressive Disorders
e. Anxiety Disorders
f. Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
g. Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders
h. Dissociative Disorders
i. Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders
j. Feeding and Eating Disorders
k. Elimination Disorders
l. Sleep-Wake Disorders
m. Sexual Dysfunctions
n. Gender Dysphoria
o. Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders
p. Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders
q. Neurocognitive Disorders
r. Personality Disorders
s. Paraphilic Disorders
t. Other Mental Disorders

Section III - Replacement for DSM-V

1. The republic of Atlasia will replace the DSM-V with their own diagnostic manual book for practical purposes in the context of
a. mental background checks
b. mental healthcare treatment
c. law enforcement
d. criminal investigations
e. judicial processes

2a. The Following Disorders continu to exist in this context in the Republic of Atlasia Diagnostic Manual Book
a. Neurodevelopmental Disorders
b. Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders
c. Bipolar and Related Disorders
d. Depressive Disorders
e. Anxiety Disorders
f. Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders
g. Trauma- and Stressor-Related Disorders
h. Dissociative Disorders
i. Feeding and Eating Disorders
j. Sleep-Wake Disorders

2b. The Following Disorders continue to exist but are no longer seen as a mental healthcare disorder on its own, but rather as contributing towards.
a. Gender Dysphoria
b. Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders

2c. The Following Disorders continue to exist but are no longer seen as a mental healthcare disorder on its own, but rather as a physical healthcare issue. However the Republic of Atlasia acknowledges that the following disorders can cause mental distress.
a. Sexual Dysfunctions
b. Elimination Disorders
c. Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders
d. Neurocognitive Disorders

2d. The Following Disorders are merged under the neurodevelopmental disorders umbrella term and the following terms shall no longer be used.
a. Disruptive, Impulse-Control, and Conduct Disorders
b. Personality Disorders

2e. The Following Disorders will completely be unrecognised
a. Paraphilic Disorders
b. Other Mental Disorders

Addendum:

1. The Republic of Atlasia does not recognize paraphilic disorders as a valid disorder based on scientific evidence
a. It does not consider peculiar sexual interests as an issue
b. It does not want paraphilic disorders to be used in defence of a perpetatror.

2. The following changes will be made
a. ADHD and ADD no longer will be seen as a separate disorder but will be placed under ASD. In practice those disorders are poorly understood and are often seen comorbid with ASD. Existing diagnoses will be grouped under the umbrella term ASD.

3. The following changes will be made in category I: Feeding and Eating Disorders
a. The process of diagnosing will change. There will be no longer be a BMI requirement for diagnosing any ED.

4. The Republic of Atlasia recognises gender dysphoria, but does not see gender dysphoria in the context of a mental disorder. It does however recognise that people suffering from gender-related issues need a lot of care and help and that this can increase the likelihood of the occurence of a different disorder.
a. The Republic of Atlasia continues to commit to being inclusive to all groups

5. Personality Disorders is a highly flawed term and all cases of PD's need to be re-evaluated.
a. In practice, they often fit in different categories or have comorbid diagnosises or have other undiagnosed disorders.
b. The term "personality disorder" is not based on science and is a discriminating term.

Section IV - Effective Date
This legislation shall take effect on 1 January 2023.

Sponsor: Laki
Debate on this bill is now open.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 12:54:15 AM »

Can the sponsor explain this to me real quick? Im not sure whatvthis does
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 02:44:02 AM »
« Edited: February 22, 2023, 02:47:03 AM by Senator Laki »

It replaces the DSM which quite frankly has some offensive characterizations, and pretends something to be objective and consensus while it is not, while i don't believe putting labels on mentally ill people helps anyone.

5. Personality Disorders is a highly flawed term and all cases of PD's need to be re-evaluated.
a. In practice, they often fit in different categories or have comorbid diagnosises or have other undiagnosed disorders.
b. The term "personality disorder" is not based on science and is a discriminating term.

This for example does not exist. And usually are people with comorbid diagnosises, basically being flaws of mental diagnosises. It doesn't help anyone if you get a personality disorder diagnosis.

4. The Republic of Atlasia recognises gender dysphoria, but does not see gender dysphoria in the context of a mental disorder. It does however recognise that people suffering from gender-related issues need a lot of care and help and that this can increase the likelihood of the occurence of a different disorder.
a. The Republic of Atlasia continues to commit to being inclusive to all groups

It seems gender dysphoria as a mental disorder, i don't think that is true.

Paraphilic disorder exists when recurrent, intense sexually arousing fantasies, sexual urges, or behaviors currently cause distress or impairment to the individual or whose satisfaction has entailed personal harm, or risk of harm, to others generally involving: non-human objects, the suffering or humiliation of oneself.

Paraphilic disorders are not mental disorders, but people who resort to criminal acts, basically it gives protections to pedophiles etc.

According to the DSM-5, there are eight types of paraphilic disorders. They are:

Fetishism Disorder
With fetishism, a person uses inanimate objects to create sexual pleasure. They could also focus on body parts without genitals to create sexual pleasure. Fetishism can be harmless. It’s only classified as a disorder when it causes significant distress or causes some form of harm and occurs for at least six months. Some common fetishes include food, hand, armpit, and leg fetishes.

Frotteuristic Disorder
A person with frotteurism will rub their genitals against another’s in a sexual manner without the other person’s consent. It’s a rare type of paraphilia, and much research still needs to be done to understand it. According to the DSM-5, for a person to be diagnosed with frotteurist disorder, they must have experienced an intense and recurrent urge to rub their genitals against a non-consenting party to achieve sexual gratification for at least six months. They must also have acted upon this urge and experienced significant distress as a result.6

Sexual Sadism Disorder
Sexual sadism involves inflicting physical or psychological pain on another person to achieve sexual gratification. It’s important to distinguish between sexual sadism disorder, a paraphilic disorder, and sadistic sexual behavior, which is not. It’s normal for mild sadistic sexual behavior to occur between two adults who consent. With sexual sadism disorder, the sadistic sexual urges cause significant distress. The desires must have been present for at least six months for it to be classified as a disorder. Sexual sadism disorder can be dangerous as it’s often carried out on non-consenting parties.7

Exhibitionistic Disorder
People with an exhibitionistic disorder will expose their genitals to non-consenting people and experience sexual excitment. They may become distressed and unable to function properly due to their urges. On the other hand, exhibitionism which isn’t a paraphilic disorder, is simply the desire to expose your genitalia to a consenting party and become sexually excited afterward.8

Pedophilic Disorder
Pedophilia is sexual attraction to children. According to the DSM-5, a person with pedophilic disorder must have felt intense and recurrent sexual urges, behaviors, and fantasies toward prepubescent children for at least six months. A vital component of the condition is that it must bring significant distress or impairment to a person with it. It’s important to note that acting on sexual attraction to children is a crime.9

Sexual Masochism Disorder
Sexual masochism may be seen as the flip side of sexual sadism. With sexual masochism, being beaten, humiliated, or abused will bring sexual excitement and gratification. Asphyxiophilia, a desire to have your breathing restricted during sexual activity, is sometimes considered a subtype of sexual masochism.10

Voyeuristic Disorder
Voyeuristic disorder causes a person to have intense and recurrent urges to watch a non-consenting person engage in sexual activity. Voyeuristic disorder causes significant distress and can limit a person’s ability to function. Voyeuristc disorder is more common amongst men than women.11

Transvetstic Disorder
A person who is sexually aroused by cross-dressing may have transvestic disorder. For it to be regarded as a disorder, the urges or behaviors must have been recurrent, intense, and present for at least six months. While people who cross-dress are typically happy to and may not experience sexual arousal from doing so, a person with this disorder is experiencing significant distress and limited functioning.12
Paraphilic disorders are not limited to the above eight types. People’s sexual interests are broad and diverse, creating possibilities for many paraphilic conditions not recognized by the DSM-V to crop up.

-> my act doesn't recognise these "disorders" as mental disorders (which would help in justice, giving these people a sentence).

2e. The Following Disorders will completely be unrecognised
a. Paraphilic Disorders
b. Other Mental Disorders
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2023, 06:16:48 AM by fhtagn »

It replaces the DSM which quite frankly has some offensive characterizations, and pretends something to be objective and consensus while it is not, while i don't believe putting labels on mentally ill people helps anyone.

Do you have any sources to back this claim?

As for the rest of the argument, it is worth noting that paraphilic disorders are not get out of jail free cards in any way, shape, or form under our justice system. Willfully acting on urges as a result of those disorders often does still result in punishment under the law, not the perpetrator getting a lighter sentence or no sentence because they may be classified under any of the listed disorders.  Saying pedophilia is a mental disorder does not protect pedophiles, it's an objective reality of their disposition. In fact, removing it's classification as a mental disorder does more harm than good, as it sends the message that their thoughts and urges aren't disordered behavior and thinking, and tells the Atlasian people that it's just someone's quirks that should be accepted as normal in our society.

Laki also seems to lack a basic understanding of what "mental disorder" actually means.

World Health Organization definition:
A mental disorder is characterized by a clinically significant disturbance in an individual’s cognition, emotional regulation, or behaviour.  It is usually associated with distress or impairment in important areas of functioning.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/mental-disorders

By this definition, the very same disorders mentioned in this bill's explanation that would be removed, would still be classified as a mental disorder.

I'll try to get to more of the errors in Laki's new method of classifying mental disorders in a bit when I'm not at work and operating on a cell phone.

But in a nutshell, Laki fails to understand the amount of time and research that was spent to get to the DSM-V and why it is widely accepted in the medical field, especially in psychiatry, and bases what he wants removed and condensed not on science, but what he "feels", which is not a proper way to legislate.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 11:57:05 PM »

I'll try to get to more of the errors in Laki's new method of classifying mental disorders in a bit when I'm not at work and operating on a cell phone.

That would be appreciated.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 12:03:54 AM »

Motioning to table this act.

I don't think I can defend this act any longer. Senator fhtagns comment makes a lot of sense, and I fail to see the real purpose of the act as Mr. R has asked me.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2023, 12:12:04 AM »

Motioning to table this act.

I don't think I can defend this act any longer. Senator fhtagns comment makes a lot of sense, and I fail to see the real purpose of the act as Mr. R has asked me.

I'll second the motion and help end its misery lol.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2023, 07:53:54 AM »

24 hours to object to the motion.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon