Daniels Likely to Run Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:30:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Daniels Likely to Run Again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Daniels Likely to Run Again  (Read 930 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 22, 2007, 12:17:31 PM »

http://wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=6115910

If the election were held today, State Senator Young -- a relative unknown -- would probably win.  Yeah, Hoosiers prefer Republicans.  But they loved Evan Bayh and Frank O'Bannon as Governor.  And they now believe they didn't give Joe Kernan enough of a chance.  I think they regret putting Daniels in the Governor's mansion.

But 2008 is a way off.  Daniels could turn it around.  And Democrats will not be content with a State Senator as their nominee.  Names most often talked about are...

---  Baron Hill   (Congressman)
---  Tim Roemer  (Ex-Congressman)
---  Joe Kernan (rematch)
---  Jonathan Weinzapfel (Evansville Mayor)

I've even heard some speculation that Evan Bayh wants his old job back.  But I can't imagine that this is true.  Plus, we'd surely lose Bayh's Senate seat -- unless, perhaps, Roemer or Petersen ran in his place.

A dark horse would be Ted Ellis, the Democratic Mayor of Bluffton.

Fort Wayne Mayor Graham Richard and Indianapolis Mayor Bart Petersen won't run for Governor.  At least, that's what they have said.

We also can't rule out a primary challenge from a credible Republican.  I would love to see former Fort Wayne Mayor Paul Helmke come back.  He's one of my all-time favorite Republicans -- very moderate -- but I think he's out of politics for good.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:06:10 PM »

Well Peterson recently announced he would not run against Daniels in 2008.  I think Tim Roemer would be the best candidate.  This is a good chance for a Democratic pickup in 2008. 
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »

So much furor over Daylight Savings Time!
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 06:52:45 PM »

So much furor over Daylight Savings Time!

That's the tip of the iceberg.

This guy is selling state assets to foreign corporations like a drunken nun running a church rummage sale.  A Spanish-Italian consortium now runs the Indiana Toll Road (and hundreds of Toll Road employees are laid off).

He's looking to build toll roads in other parts of the state as "revenue sources".

He's broken the back of the various unions representing state workers.

He's closed several homes for the developmentally disabled, effectively putting residents on the streets.  More than a few are homeless.

He completely bolloxed (is it "bolloxed" or "bollocksed") the reorganization of the BMV, closing branches in already underserved areas and proposing to build new branches within minutes of already extant ones.

And the state continutes to hemorrhage manufacturing jobs at an alarming rate.  Yet he shows up at a Dollar General Store grand opening and calls it "the rebounding Indiana economy".

And yes, DST upset some people -- but I kind of agreed with Daniels on that.  And I won't worry about the toll road just yet -- though I do think the employees got the shaft.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 07:00:44 PM »

"Bullocksed".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length