The Region - Editorial Page
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 03:34:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Region - Editorial Page
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Region - Editorial Page  (Read 1226 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2004, 09:19:34 PM »

I am proud to write the first editorial of The Region.   While we will of course concentrate on the issues that affect our fine South-Eastern Region, we shall not hesitate to make comment on issues of the day wherever they may be of effect.

Where is The Cabinet?
We have seen a precipitous colapse in the Cabinet of late, and with the resignation of Attorney General Demrepdan to run in a special election for the District 3B senate seat, we are now left with but a single member in the cabinet, Secretary Fritz, who is also running for that same seat. With the election of a new President, it is to be expected that there would be changes in the Cabinet, but President Gustaf has yet to announce any nominations. With the vacancy in District 3B it is especially important a Secretary of Forum Affairs be nominated as soon as possible, or else the people of District 3B shall be underrepresented until the next general election.  If President Gustaf does not act fast, there will be no bones left for Mother Hubbard's dog.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 09:46:50 PM »

Actually I see no difference in the status between DemRepDan and myself.  I don't see in his campaign announcement that he officially resigned his cabinet position, although he did refer to himself as "former Attorney General".  The Office Holders thread still lists both of us as cabinet members.  For myself, I guess I consider myself to be former Secretary of Labor, as the President who appointed me is now out of office, and I have not been re-appointed by the new President.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 11:45:02 PM »

The voters of the third district have three experienced candidates to choose from in their upcoming special election.   All have qualities that should make them upstanding senators, yet there is a clear choice that we hope the voters of that district will make.
     While we respect the achievements of the former Attorney General, we have to wonder if he really wants the job. His campaign has been the most lackluster of the three candidates that have announced. Not only that, but his preciptous and wholly uneccessary decision to leave the office of Attorney General vacant before President Gustaf had even announced a nominee does not bode well for Demrepdan's interest in forum politics at this time. The voters of District 3 and of this forum would be ill-served if Demrepdan does not truly have an interest in the office. Unless he mounts a more vigorous campaign between now and the election, regardless of his position on the issues (whatever they may be) we cannot favor his election.
     This leaves a choice between Fritz and PBrunsel. Both have run vigorous and clean campaigns and the third district  and the forum will not go far wrong with either candidate, but not far right either. Both have a tendency to centralize issues at the national level instead of leaving them to the regions to decide. We are not happy at the lack of attention foreign policy and defense issues have received so far.
     There is only onle area of policy so far where the candidates have distinguished themselves in a way that makes a choice between them obvious: constitutional issues.  PBrunsel has come out in favor of a Balanced Budget Amendment which will hamper good governments in time of need while bad governments will merely find creative ways to spend funds they do not have.  In contrast, Fritz has proposed making only the most conservatibve and necessary changes to our constitution, and actively come out against some other proposed amendments.  The constitution should not become a collage of issues of the day, and Secretary Fritz appears to share that sensible view.  Therefore, The Region recommends to its readers who reside in the third district that they elect Fritz as their next Senator.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 12:21:53 AM »

The cabinet has been formed.  All that remains is the public announcment.  Gustaf has been very busy these last few days, and has not been posting as much as usual.  That said, I am sure he will make his formal announcements shortly.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2004, 09:59:09 PM »

Tomorrow will see that great spectacle of modern politics: the political debate.  We have been honored to be selected to be the moderator of the debate for the special election for the District 3B election.  We hope that the voters of District 3 will be both entertained and informed by the debate between PBrunsel and Demrepdan, but if only one proves possible we shall strive for informing before entertaining.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 07:33:22 PM »

The results of last night's debate are in and all that is left is for various pundits such as myself to give the viewers their take on the debate.  The 3rd District is fortunate to have two capable candidates to choose from.  They should not be disappointed with either choice, but since this is an editorial, a choice must be made.  While they have obvious differences in their economic philosophies, it is the opinion of this writer that the nature in their temperments that is key between these two.  To borrow PBrunsel's slogan: "People not Politics".  Demrepdan has exhibited a more deliberative nature than PBrunsel.  Were this a race for an executive office we would recommend PBrunsel, but the Senate is supposed to be a deliberative body and therefore The Region endorses Demrepdan for the vacant District 3 seat, and hopes that PBrunsel will consider running for Midwest governor, a race for which it is likely The Region would endorse him for.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 07:35:27 PM »

The results of last night's debate are in and all that is left is for various pundits such as myself to give the viewers their take on the debate.  The 3rd District is fortunate to have two capable candidates to choose from.  They should not be disappointed with either choice, but since this is an editorial, a choice must be made.  While they have obvious differences in their economic philosophies, it is the opinion of this writer that the nature in their temperments that is key between these two.  To borrow PBrunsel's slogan: "People not Politics".  Demrepdan has exhibited a more deliberative nature than PBrunsel.  Were this a race for an executive office we would recommend PBrunsel, but the Senate is supposed to be a deliberative body and therefore The Region endorses Demrepdan for the vacant District 3 seat, and hopes that PBrunsel will consider running for Midwest governor, a race for which it is likely The Region would endorse him for.

Against me?  I shall invade the Southern Region for this! Cheesy
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 07:42:55 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2004, 07:43:27 PM by Ernest (MDP-SC) »

At least with PBrunsel, the Midwest would have a governor that would respect freedom of the press! Smiley
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 07:48:11 PM »

The second time The Region did not endorse me!

How funny. Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 07:57:50 PM »

Perhaps the third time will be the charm.  Of course considering what happened to the last candidate we endorsed, perhaps you should be glad we endorsed Demrepdan. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 07:58:00 PM »

Would The Region like to merge with The Tammany Times?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 07:59:30 PM »

Would The Region like to merge with The Tammany Times?

Never mind.  We will continue to be rivals in the news world. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies