Please please PLEASE let this be true........
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:19:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Please please PLEASE let this be true........
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Please please PLEASE let this be true........  (Read 4873 times)
Deano963

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:48:35 PM »

In Ohio, Kasich May Run for Governor

Former Rep. John Kasich (R-OH) "is contemplating a run for Ohio governor 2010, prompting him to begin speaking regularly at Republican functions around the state," according to the AP.

"Kasich, a 2000 presidential contender who now hosts a talk show on Fox News, is scheduled as the keynote speaker next month at four more of the dinners at which the GOP marks its founding and raises money."

If Kasich is the Republican nominee in 2010, I would be elated. I think he could possibly do even worse than Ken Blackwell did. His show on Fox Noise is full of bigoted anti-free speech, anti-choice, anti-gay, anti-woman, wingnutty rants. He's insanly Po-Bush, pro-slash-and-burn free trade, and we all know how badly those positions worked out for Blackwell and Dewine last year in Ohio. The Strickland ads would literally write themselves.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 08:07:59 PM »

Was your dream for George W Bush to run for President in 2000?
Deano963

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

Ummm......No, it wasn't.

I don't see your point (or were you even trying to make one?) ??
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:35 PM »

Ummm......No, it wasn't.

I don't see your point (or were you even trying to make one?) ??
I think the point might be

becareful what you wish for...it may come true, and he may win.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 10:37:57 PM »

Might be better if he were to run for the United States Senate.

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 11:08:32 PM »

Might be better if he were to run for the United States Senate.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 11:21:56 PM »

Good, it'll be nice to hand Brown a second term on a silver platter like the FL GOP did to Bill Nelson.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:24:11 PM »

Good, it'll be nice to hand Brown a second term on a silver platter like the FL GOP did to Bill Nelson.

Primary to Voinivich

BRTD reponse - OMG WE'D LYKE TEH PICKUP!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 11:29:09 PM »

Primary to Voinivich

Yes, we would.

We saw how well the GOP did running a hard right candidate in Ohio last year. Give my congratulations to Gov. Ken Blackwell.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:33:53 PM »

Give my congratulations to Gov. Ken Blackwell.

I highly doubt 2010 will be a 2006. Blackwell went down mainly for other reasons. Kasich wouldn't be a Blackwell.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 11:36:29 PM »

I highly doubt 2010 will be a 2006. Blackwell went down mainly for other reasons. Kasich wouldn't be a Blackwell.

Blackwell wouldn't win in 2010 either. he's a hard right wingers just like Kasich.

Besides as Deano pointed out, Kasich is pro-free trade. And if the Democrats put up someone like Tim Ryan (pro-life, pro-gun, pro-fair trade), the seat might as well be in the bag against anyone but Voinovich.

I'm pretty sure you'd predict a GOP pickup if Keith Ellison took out Klobuchar in the primary, right?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:43:00 PM »

Blackwell wouldn't win in 2010 either. he's a hard right wingers just like Kasich.

Besides as Deano pointed out, Kasich is pro-free trade. And if the Democrats put up someone like Tim Ryan (pro-life, pro-gun, pro-fair trade), the seat might as well be in the bag against anyone but Voinovich.

I'm pretty sure you'd predict a GOP pickup if Keith Ellison took out Klobuchar in the primary, right?

I don't think Kasich is seen as the extreme partisan that Blackwell was portrayed as. I'm not saying that he'd win but I don't think it would be the slame dunk you think.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »

Kasich has really morphed over the years.  When he was first mentioned as a Presidential candidate, I think in 2000, his reputation was as a fiscal conservative like Reagan.  His stance on social issues was conservative, but he didn't really pay much attention to that.  He was all about cutting spending and reducing the size of government.

Now, he's foaming at the mouth about homosexuals, fetuses and brown people coming across our borders. 

He'd be smart to stake himself as the old John Kasich and maybe sound a populist theme or two as it relates to manufacturing jobs.  Ohio will elect a conservative again -- as Governor and as Senator -- but not a Theocrat.

Keep your eye on Blackwell, too.  My understanding is that he still holds himself in extremely high regard and he believes God wants him to be governor.  I hope he runs again!  LOL
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 06:10:10 AM »

Ohio is irrelevant to anything. People are ditching it like a bad habit.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »

Primary to Voinivich

i agree.

voinivich needs to go.  he is a bad joke.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 12:46:02 PM »

Primary to Voinivich

i agree.

Voinovich is a pretty moderate Republican, as was DeWine.  However, he also seems to have been affected by the GOP fatigue that swept Ohio in 2006.  His approval ratings, for someone who won 72% for re-election as Governor in 1994 and 64% for re-election as Senator in 2004, are not great.  I think Congressman Jim Ryun is the party choice to challenge Voinovich in 2010 and he would be a strong candidate.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 01:26:21 PM »

I think Congressman Jim Ryun is the party choice to challenge Voinovich in 2010 and he would be a strong candidate.

Jim Ryun was the Republican representative for the 2nd district of Kansas, and thus is a somewhat unlikely choice of candidate for the Ohio Democrats in 2010.  I assume you meant Tim Ryan, who incidentally I would quite happily vote for.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 03:17:07 PM »

I think Congressman Jim Ryun is the party choice to challenge Voinovich in 2010 and he would be a strong candidate.

Jim Ryun was the Republican representative for the 2nd district of Kansas, and thus is a somewhat unlikely choice of candidate for the Ohio Democrats in 2010.  I assume you meant Tim Ryan, who incidentally I would quite happily vote for.

Accch!  You're right of course - and thank you for not being too nasty; certainly refreshing on this forum! 
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »

Voinovich is garbage and needs to be dumpted, the sooner the better.

Kasich would be a major improvement.

If the Republicans insist on renominated slimebag voinovich, Tim Ryan (assuming he runs) would easily win.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 04:43:24 PM »

Kasich would be a major improvement.

If the Republicans insist on renominated slimebag voinovich, Tim Ryan (assuming he runs) would easily win.

Ah yes, much like how Randy Graf was the FAR more electable candidate in AZ-08...
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 06:57:54 PM »

George Voinovich had the courage to criticize the Bush tax giveaway in war time.  And he has steadfastly resisted the foolish proposal to drill in the ANWR.  And he was a great Mayor of Cleveland and a decent governor.  All around, one of the better Republicans.  Still, not a RINO -- he's pretty conservative on the social issues like abortion, etc.

I prefer Sherrod Brown, of course.  But Ohio could do a lot worse than Voinovich or DeWine.

Like John Kasich.  ::: shudder :::
Rococo4

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 02:41:23 AM »

Primary to Voinivich

i agree.

Voinovich is a pretty moderate Republican, as was DeWine.  However, he also seems to have been affected by the GOP fatigue that swept Ohio in 2006.  His approval ratings, for someone who won 72% for re-election as Governor in 1994 and 64% for re-election as Senator in 2004, are not great.  I think Congressman Jim Ryun is the party choice to challenge Voinovich in 2010 and he would be a strong candidate.

If you switch DeWine and Voinovich and their Senate classes, Voinovich would have been defeated in 2006 in Ohio as well.  Both are moderates that are slightly distrusted by their Republican base.  2006 was such a bad year statewide in Ohio.  It would take something like that or similar to bring down Voinovich in 2010.........

But I think Kasich would be a good candidate, though at the current pace of Strickland's moves it could be a repeat of 2006 just in reverse in Ohio in 2010.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 11:27:08 AM »

Strickland's approval ratings were very good at the last poll: http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=71f91e43-5bda-4931-ac91-a6d6b1df5899
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2007, 04:11:30 PM »

Ohio is irrelevant to anything. People are ditching it like a bad habit.
Deano963

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2007, 06:56:05 PM »

Well, you're right about ONE thing, at least, which is above average for you I guess. 

Kasich would certainly not be an improvement, however. That would be like Ohio electing Rick Santorum - it's not gonna happen. So if the GOP wants to avoid another '06 in 2010, they had better start shopping around for a true moderate to run against Strickland (Montgomery maybe?) - this talk of Kasich or Husted is laughable. But go ahead - run one of those clowns - you'll gaurantee Democratic control of Ohio for a generation.

LOL! - Please tell me you're not serious. George Voinovich is just about the only Ohio Republican who WOULDN'T without a doubt be defeated by Tim Ryan in a Senate race. I hope you get your wish, though. Nominate another crazy like Blackwell - see what happens. This Ohio we're talking about - not Alabama. A wingnut is not going to win statewide against a moderate Dem be it 2006 or 2010 - it makes no difference. Blackwell's loss was bigger in 2006 than maybe it would have been without all the anti-Republican sentiment in Ohio and nationwide in 2006, sure, but he would have lost in an "even" year as well, just by a closer percentage.

2006 was such a bad year statewide in Ohio.  It would take something like that or similar to bring down Voinovich in 2010.........

Not quite, but that's b/c Voinovich is more likely than not to retire in 2010, especially if Dems win the White House and/or expand their senate majority in '08, both of which are more likely than not to happen. Voinovich will be 74 in 2010, and has given no indication that he plans to run again.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies