Which user are you closer to on trans issues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:46:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which user are you closer to on trans issues?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Alben Barkley

Ferguson97

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 87

Author Topic: Which user are you closer to on trans issues?  (Read 2082 times)
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2023, 03:15:39 PM »

Easily Alben.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2023, 03:18:43 PM »

Just treat people with respect irrespective of your own knee jerk reaction views.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2023, 03:25:42 PM »

Just treat people with respect irrespective of your own knee jerk reaction views.

Neither of them do that.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2023, 04:42:27 PM »

They're really gonna make me vote for Ferguson97. How is the best-case scenario Ferguson97?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2023, 07:34:32 PM »

What's wrong with Ferguson, especially on trans issues?
the artist formerly known as catmusic
schnittdoodle
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.16, S: -7.91

P
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »

Obviously far too accepting of trans people and willing to defend them.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 08:06:30 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2023, 08:13:28 PM by Alben Barkley »

This is actually what I try to do. Not saying I'm perfect, but I try to be respectful.

It's not like I don't use people's preferred pronouns or treat them as their preferred gender, after all. It's just that it seemed to me in the past, when we had a much smaller trans population, people understood this was a legal fiction and social nicety. No one was claiming that they were LITERALLY the same thing as people born as the biological sex they preferred, as Ferguson has seemed to imply a few times (and I apologize if I am mischaracterizing his views, but it seems to me he believes sex can LITERALLY be changed or is somehow not rooted in biological reality, which is simply untrue). It's just THAT particular "2+2=5" stuff which really gets under my skin. Feels like people are telling me to not believe my own lying eyes. And THAT, no matter what "side" it is coming from or what the intentions behind it are, is the kind of thing that is going to get a "kneejerk" reaction of defiance out of me 100% of the time. I will play nice, I will go along with people's preferred pronouns and treat them as they wish to be treated, no problem. What I will not do is redefine reality or pretend that my senses are wrong or that there is such a thing as a "girldick" or whatever. A line simply has to be drawn somewhere.

But yes, the theoretical level is very different from the real world, where most anyone with a thread of decency and social awareness will treat people as they want to be treated regardless of personal views on the nature of sex and gender identity. I strongly disagree with and do not associate myself with TERFs and such who do not do this.

Now where this does get a little more complicated is matters like sports, where acknowledging biological realities becomes a necessity, and where it seems particularly mad to me to pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean you have to stop treating people with respect, it's just that we have to drop the pretense and legal fiction a little bit and gently remind people that they have unfair advantages for obvious biological reasons. Or at least, that's how it SHOULD be. Unfortunately some people have strong negative reactions to this and seem to feel entitled to run roughshod over women's sports and refuse to acknowledge any advantages. This again seems like madness to me, "2+2=5" stuff. It just seems like common sense to me that you shouldn't stop acknowledging how you were born even if you go to great lengths to alter your identity and presentation later on. And indeed many trans people do just that. I have much respect for those people. The Lia Thomases of the world, on the other hand...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 08:13:03 PM »

Alben
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 08:31:22 PM »

Pretty much this. He's so accepting and willing to defend trans people that I almost feel as if he's a psyop designed to make transphobes look reasonable.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2023, 08:33:08 PM »

This is actually what I try to do. Not saying I'm perfect, but I try to be respectful.

It's not like I don't use people's preferred pronouns or treat them as their preferred gender, after all. It's just that it seemed to me in the past, when we had a much smaller trans population, people understood this was a legal fiction and social nicety. No one was claiming that they were LITERALLY the same thing as people born as the biological sex they preferred, as Ferguson has seemed to imply a few times (and I apologize if I am mischaracterizing his views, but it seems to me he believes sex can LITERALLY be changed or is somehow not rooted in biological reality, which is simply untrue). It's just THAT particular "2+2=5" stuff which really gets under my skin. Feels like people are telling me to not believe my own lying eyes. And THAT, no matter what "side" it is coming from or what the intentions behind it are, is the kind of thing that is going to get a "kneejerk" reaction of defiance out of me 100% of the time. I will play nice, I will go along with people's preferred pronouns and treat them as they wish to be treated, no problem. What I will not do is redefine reality or pretend that my senses are wrong or that there is such a thing as a "girldick" or whatever. A line simply has to be drawn somewhere.

But yes, the theoretical level is very different from the real world, where most anyone with a thread of decency and social awareness will treat people as they want to be treated regardless of personal views on the nature of sex and gender identity. I strongly disagree with and do not associate myself with TERFs and such who do not do this.

Now where this does get a little more complicated is matters like sports, where acknowledging biological realities becomes a necessity, and where it seems particularly mad to me to pretend otherwise. Doesn't mean you have to stop treating people with respect, it's just that we have to drop the pretense and legal fiction a little bit and gently remind people that they have unfair advantages for obvious biological reasons. Or at least, that's how it SHOULD be. Unfortunately some people have strong negative reactions to this and seem to feel entitled to run roughshod over women's sports and refuse to acknowledge any advantages. This again seems like madness to me, "2+2=5" stuff. It just seems like common sense to me that you shouldn't stop acknowledging how you were born even if you go to great lengths to alter your identity and presentation later on. And indeed many trans people do just that. I have much respect for those people. The Lia Thomases of the world, on the other hand...
Dude, you posted an article meant to demonize trans women as sex pests. Don't push this "I'm respectful" crap.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2023, 09:27:28 PM »

Did you see his posts on the Lia Thomas issue?
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 09:37:20 PM »

Pretty much this. He's so accepting and willing to defend trans people that I almost feel as if he's a psyop designed to make transphobes look reasonable.

I don't see it. He's not always the greatest debater, but at worse he's only as unreasonable as the people he debates on trans issues.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 10:59:54 PM »

I don't see it. He's not always the greatest debater, but at worse he's only as unreasonable as the people he debates on trans issues.
To be honest, after watching last night's Quantum Leap, I kind of see the appeal of following the "dude trust her" rule of thumb rather than going with anything concrete, but I don't know, cis people are already pre-inclined to think that (cisgender) men are going to pretend to be women to beat them in sports if trans people are allowed to exist in peace (as stupid as that is), and he rarely does them any favors.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 11:48:38 PM »

I'm way closer to Ferguson than I am to Barkley
With you in spirit
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 09:13:21 AM »

I'd rather be too accepting of trans people than not at all accepting of them.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 09:33:43 AM »

I'm way closer to Ferguson than I am to Barkley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 09:56:01 AM »

Am I the only one in the forum with the good sense not to vote in this poll? Sad!  Cry
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 09:57:47 AM »

Closer to Ferguson. I know quite a few trans people in real life, and they’re good people I try to exercise restrain wherever possible. I’m not trans nor am I particularly animated by this debate.

Nevertheless I find it really irritating when I see the millionth ‘NONPASSING TRANS ‘WOMAN’ SEXUALLY SNEEZES ON EIGHT YEAR OLD AT PUBLIC POOL’ thread.

that there is such a thing as a "girldick" or whatever.
Girldick is real. And actually, 2+2=6.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 10:30:28 AM »

I didn't bother reading any of Alben's essay, but as a bepeniled woman, this is objectively true. A trans woman's penis may still be a penis, but estrogen really does a number on the thing, and to claim otherwise is an affront to the Biological Reality™ he claims to uphold.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 11:58:45 AM »

Alben isn’t “not at all accepting”. He’s not some raging transphobe who wants all trans people to die. He believes that any adult has the right to choose their gender. The only disagreements he has with the trans community is that he believes children are too young to transition, and he acknowledges that sex and gender are different (which used to be what trans activists themselves preached).
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2023, 12:04:02 PM »

Alben [is] not some raging transphobe who wants all trans people to die.
Are you out of your mind? Even if you believe him when he says these things, he's way too obsessed with the issue. No wonder he views Good Old J.K. as a maternal figure; he inherited her obsession with the trannies.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2023, 12:37:00 PM »

Alben [is] not some raging transphobe who wants all trans people to die.
Are you out of your mind? Even if you believe him when he says these things, he's way too obsessed with the issue. No wonder he views Good Old J.K. as a maternal figure; he inherited her obsession with the trannies.
This 1000%. This really gets to my annoyance with Alben (and JK). It’d be one thing if they like 1 time said something anti trans and got hounded for it but both of them can’t shut the f**k up about it. JK tweets about trans stuff 24/7 and practically every train wreck thread that dealt with trans issues Alben was either the OP and said something awful or 1 of the first posters to stir sh*t on it
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2023, 12:57:05 PM »

Alben isn’t “not at all accepting”. He’s not some raging transphobe who wants all trans people to die. He believes that any adult has the right to choose their gender. The only disagreements he has with the trans community is that he believes children are too young to transition, and he acknowledges that sex and gender are different (which used to be what trans activists themselves preached).
To acknowledge that sex and gender are different doesn't mean much if you always think that people should be categorized by sex and never by gender.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 01:02:09 PM »

To acknowledge that sex and gender are different doesn't mean much if you always think that people should be categorized by sex and never by gender.

... Or conversely, if you always think that people should always be categorized by gender and never sex.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 01:17:16 PM »

... Or conversely, if you always think that people should always be categorized by gender and never sex.

Its always seemed strange to me that the activists claim youth sports were intended to be based on gender and not sex. Like clearly its about physicality not about self-expression. Most distinctions are clearly based on physicality and not self-expression but because the activists unilaterally decided to bifurcate sex and gender like 15 years ago without a vote they keep trying to play gotcha as though 40 year old laws assumed queer theory when ratified. Thats why it probably just makes sense to use male and female for everything now instead of man and woman since the activists will keep playing dumb to try and get what they want.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies