California 2026 candidate filings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:32:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California 2026 candidate filings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: California 2026 candidate filings  (Read 1785 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 06, 2023, 01:01:03 PM »
« edited: February 06, 2023, 02:14:33 PM by Gracile »

CA-2026 preparations well under way:

GOV:

LG:

(A backtrack from her post-2018 announcement for Gov. 2026)

(Amazing that he's still running, lmao)

SoS:

AG:

Treasurer:

(A backtrack from her post-2018 announcement for Gov. 2026)

Controller:

IC:

Duke of York

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2023, 01:08:32 PM »

what are the odds  Eleni Kounalakis runs for governor?

why would Ma run or Lieutenant Governor?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2023, 01:37:34 PM »

what are the odds  Eleni Kounalakis runs for governor?

>100%.

Presumably concluded that LG isn't as hopeless a venture as a gubernatorial campaign likely would've been.
Duke of York

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2023, 02:15:55 PM »

>100%.

Presumably concluded that LG isn't as hopeless a venture as a gubernatorial campaign likely would've been.

Why would it be a hopeless venture if Ma ran for governor?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 02:25:04 PM »

>100%.

Why would it be a hopeless venture if Ma ran for governor?

Because she's very unlikely to win in a field incl. Eleni, potentially Becerra, possibly Breed & Khanna, & presumably more.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 10:49:04 AM »

I'd endorse both. Would make a strong duo.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2023, 11:01:27 AM »

Also, noticed this:

[...]

That includes advancing higher education, environmental protections, gender equity and California's engagement on an international stage, Kounalakis said, though she called rebuilding the lieutenant governor's office the main accomplishment of her first term.

"By the time I came in, it was not fully functional.
And so I started with what does the Constitution dictate that this office should be used for?" she said. "Being involved in learning and understanding what's happening in state government is very important."

[...]

Quite some shade thrown Newsom's way there...
Duke of York

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2023, 12:13:13 PM »

Me too. What are Kounalakis's chances of getting to the general?
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2023, 11:52:44 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2023, 03:04:47 PM by Interlocutor »

Kounalakis seems to be a presumed favorite on here and I've never got that at all. I don't know what any of her key constituencies or regions are. I don't know where she stands on anything. She's pretty much been invisible since she was elected, with the only recent exception I can think of being Karen Bass' Mayoral inauguration. I don't even know if she'd get Newsom's full backing, given the apparent shade and how his wife seems have way more influence than Kounalakis.

She's got the title, but I don't know how beneficial that is when most Californians don't even know who or what that is. Plus, the most recent Lt. Governors to move on up held prior elected office and some semblance of a base (Davis and Newsom).

Outside of immense wealth, she's just a very blank slate to me.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 12:06:06 AM »

Eleni Kounalakis got her first job (ambassador) entirely because she's rich, and that was enough to position her as qualified for her second job (lieutenant governor), which she also won because she's rich. Her newspaper endorsements last year talked about how she was involved in state government, which I have no reason to doubt, but she still has no tangible accomplishments and she never will as long as she has a do-nothing job. I'm unsure what the posters in this thread who are saying she'd be a strong governor have seen from her to form any sort of opinion of her at all. Personally I have none, and I can't imagine that anyone else in California does.

It would be a real "heat check" for Gavin Newsom if she were to run on nothing in particular except her proximity to Newsom and to the Sacramento Greeks. The Sacramento Greeks did get a gubernatorial candidate nominated in 2006, so their influence isn't nothing.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 12:23:10 AM »

Wow, the balls on De Leon.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 04:30:31 AM »

Good to see no more Gavin Newsom anymore after Covid the Homeless situation got so much worse after they ended Stimulus they were paying off mortgage and they stopped
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 12:22:43 PM »

Kounalakis has no previous political experience behind her like other Lieutenant Governor's had. Gavin Newsom made a name for himself as Mayor of San Francisco and before that Gray Davis had been Controller. Kounalakis is very undefined in terms of policy other than generic positions and that will make it hard for her to stand out against candidates who will have more experience.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 02:25:18 PM »

Bonta for Governor instead of a final 4 years as AG? From part of the tweet-thread initially shared by JMT on the CA-SEN 2024 page:

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2023, 02:58:23 PM »

Kounalakis is “Daddy’s money” embodied. If Newson was suddenly gone, I think 90% of Californians would have no idea who the new governor was.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 03:15:25 PM »

Oh yeah, no one knows who Kounalakis is. No one really has an opinion on her. She’s in no way a shoe-in for governor and many other Dems would be able to take her down easily.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »

Oh yeah, no one knows who Kounalakis is. No one really has an opinion on her. She’s in no way a shoe-in for governor and many other Dems would be able to take her down easily.

She is really despised on the left, and is pretty well known only for that reason. Her whole career feels basically like family plot to perpetuate our housing inequality crisis. And even if that's not true it won't be very difficult to portray her that way. I do not see labor backing her. I don't even think the state party would wanna back her. The one to watch will, of course, be Gavin Newsom. And whether he backs her or not, we will finally get a rare glimpse into his true colors.

I don't like her but also would warn anyone not to underestimate her. She has proven to be a very savvy politician and effective agent for Capital. If she gets an Obama and/or Newsom endorsement, she will be very competitive. She's actually v telegenic and smart. She has the potential to be formidable.

I also expect progressives to fumble this one badly. For some reason, we choke hardest in executive races. Ro Khanna is our only hope and he's a lot more Katie Porter than he is Rashida Tlaib tbh. But he's really the only Berniecrat I see capable of winning this race (and beating someone like Kounalakis)
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 05:12:32 PM »

Wealth notwithstanding, I don't even know how to estimate or judge her. Shes just there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her get some Obama Administration + Kamala Harris endorsements. Same with other female politicians hoping for the first woman elected Governor of California. Outside of that, it's all up in the air.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2023, 05:24:12 PM »

Wealth notwithstanding, I don't even know how to estimate or judge her. Shes just there.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her get some Obama Administration endorsements. A Kamala Harris endorsement seems likely as would other female politicians hoping for the first female governor of California. Outside of that, it all depends on who else runs.

In addition to Eleni & Bonta, #CApoli Twitter rumors imply a CW that Becerra will leave HHS to run too. Also, Ik Blairite thinks Breed will run/be a heavy favorite in the event that Lee doesn't (& maybe even if she does) win CA-SEN next year.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2023, 06:19:44 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2023, 07:04:04 PM by Interlocutor »

I wouldn't be surprised to see her get some Obama Administration endorsements. A Kamala Harris endorsement seems likely as would other female politicians hoping for the first female governor of California. Outside of that, it all depends on who else runs.

In addition to Eleni & Bonta, #CApoli Twitter rumors imply a CW that Becerra will leave HHS to run too. Also, Ik Blairite thinks Breed will run/be a heavy favorite in the event that Lee doesn't (& maybe even if she does) win CA-SEN next year.

Becerra might be ok. He certainly has the resume for it. Breed would be a no for me. Honestly, I'd probably most support Bonta if he decides to throw his hat in.

Also, it kinda says something about the vast CA Dem bench that I can't think of many other viable gubernatorial candidates. Such is CA politics when the only way to be considered viable is to have been elected to one of the eight statewide offices (Ten if you count Senate), be mayor of a major city, have lots of money or any combination of those.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 07:39:08 AM »

Didn’t Ma get sued for sexual harassment (unwanted sexual advances, exposing herself to a staffer, etc) and wrongful termination (firing the staffer when said advances were rejected)? 
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2023, 02:02:32 PM »

Becerra might be ok. He certainly has the resume for it. Breed would be a no for me. Honestly, I'd probably most support Bonta if he decides to throw his hat in.

Also, it kinda says something about the vast CA Dem bench that I can't think of many other viable gubernatorial candidates. Such is CA politics when the only way to be considered viable is to have been elected to one of the eight statewide offices (Ten if you count Senate), be mayor of a major city, have lots of money or any combination of those.

Breed is gonna have a very difficult re-election. I don't see her managing to parlay a polarizing reputation as mayor of CA's least popular city into a successful statewide office.

I haven't heard anything about Becerra, but he would be the favorite if he got in. Khanna is not only a Berniecrat, but also very tight with Newsom. He, Kounalakis, and Becerra are the only real heavy-hitters I can think of. It also sounds like he may have a mutual support pact with Barbara Lee, which could be potent.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2023, 03:18:06 PM »

Breed is gonna have a very difficult re-election. I don't see her managing to parlay a polarizing reputation as mayor of CA's least popular city into a successful statewide office.

I haven't heard anything about Becerra, but he would be the favorite if he got in. Khanna is not only a Berniecrat, but also very tight with Newsom. He, Kounalakis, and Becerra are the only real heavy-hitters I can think of. It also sounds like he may have a mutual support pact with Barbara Lee, which could be potent.

Agreed on both counts. This forum has always been fascinated with the idea of London Breed winning higher office, but there doesn't seem to be any reason there except that she's a black woman and I guess not everyone here can name other black female politicians in California. (It is funny, on that note, to see people talk up London Breed for years and then turn around and act surprised that voters might choose Barbara Lee.) I haven't been keeping up with events in San Francisco, so I'll need to find out what's going on there in advance of next year's mayoral election, but nothing about Breed's time as mayor thus far has suggested that she has real juice. I could see her embarking on the cursus honorum of minor offices that so many termed-out California Democrats embark on (often there's a term or two on the Board of Equalization there), but that doesn't generally translate to any of the offices people outside the state know or care about.

It seems pretty likely that there's some sort of understanding between Khanna and Lee. Nobody would ever accuse Khanna of lacking ambition and I can't imagine he's content to build up seniority in the House, so if he's not running in next year's senatorial election it's because he's waiting for something else. I suppose it's possible for Joe Biden to appoint him to the cabinet after the election, which would probably sate his ambitions for a while, but otherwise the only thing available for him is governor.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2023, 10:45:13 AM »

Its gonna be like 2018, D vs D. I hope no GOP congressmen run for the seat.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2023, 06:21:29 PM »

Agreed on both counts. This forum has always been fascinated with the idea of London Breed winning higher office, but there doesn't seem to be any reason there except that she's a black woman and I guess not everyone here can name other black female politicians in California. (It is funny, on that note, to see people talk up London Breed for years and then turn around and act surprised that voters might choose Barbara Lee.) I haven't been keeping up with events in San Francisco, so I'll need to find out what's going on there in advance of next year's mayoral election, but nothing about Breed's time as mayor thus far has suggested that she has real juice. I could see her embarking on the cursus honorum of minor offices that so many termed-out California Democrats embark on (often there's a term or two on the Board of Equalization there), but that doesn't generally translate to any of the offices people outside the state know or care about.

It seems pretty likely that there's some sort of understanding between Khanna and Lee. Nobody would ever accuse Khanna of lacking ambition and I can't imagine he's content to build up seniority in the House, so if he's not running in next year's senatorial election it's because he's waiting for something else. I suppose it's possible for Joe Biden to appoint him to the cabinet after the election, which would probably sate his ambitions for a while, but otherwise the only thing available for him is governor.

Black women candidates will face less skepticism/liabilities just for being who they are. It bears noting that two of the only competitive races included black female candidates this year- Caruso v Bass and Chen v Cohen. In 2010, IIRC Kamala had the tightest re-election of any statewide candidate.  California has a long history of racism and segregation, as well as inter-racial conflict among different POCs. It's hard to say how identity impacts politics here.

Barbara Lee is actually unique tho, imo, in that she represents a district that is heavily white and Asian and has a longstanding relationship with the progressive movement. She is well-positioned beyond the obvious Black community support. In the future, this will also make Kamlager very formidable too if she ever wants to run for something bigger and better.

London Breed, on the other hand, is basically a Black female corporatist. Her connections to her own community are tenuous and difficult, and the progressive movement hates her guts.

As for Khanna, I think his actions around the Senate campaign show the writing is on the wall. If he gets into the gov race, he will be very difficult to stop. Khanna v. Kounalakis would also probably very quickly become the most expensive gov race in US history, ironic given that they are both Democrats
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies