Going into Election Night 2000, who did you expect to win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Going into Election Night 2000, who did you expect to win?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Going into Election Night 2000, who did you expect to win?  (Read 35834 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »

I was sure Gore would win, because my parents supported him, and they were never wrong.  Boy, I was even more of a hack in 2000 then I am now Tongue

Aren't all kids in early elementary school who know anything about politics?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »

I was sure Gore would win, because my parents supported him, and they were never wrong.  Boy, I was even more of a hack in 2000 then I am now Tongue

I cannot believe that you could be anymore hackish than you are now.

Of course I could; I could be you Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »

Goldmine material right there.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »

Goldmine material right there.

Why, thank you Smiley
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2008, 04:24:56 AM »

I was only 14 at the time and didn't really care one way or the other. I had watched a little bit of the debates and from those I thought Bush would win. Gore just seemed stale and nerdy compared to Bush. That was my political analysis as a 14 year old.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2008, 01:34:11 PM »

I was only 14 at the time and didn't really care one way or the other. I had watched a little bit of the debates and from those I thought Bush would win. Gore just seemed stale and nerdy compared to Bush. That was my political analysis as a 14 year old.

which is a correct discription. Bush did and still does seem like the kind of person you'd like to drink a beer with. Unfortunately, some people vote based on those feelings.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2008, 05:50:18 PM »

I wasn't too into politics at the time, but I was thinking Bush. Gore's debating skills made him look stupid.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »

I was in sixth grade so I have no idea but I remember joking with my friends that we could do whatever we wanted after election day because there was no winner and thus no president, showing that we had no grasp on the political process or the way in which American government worked.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2008, 03:44:58 PM »

I only remember being in Florida and everything being in chaos. My parents were solidly for Bush....so as a youngin I was too [pft...]. I was kinda annoyed with Gore at the time, even tho I ultimately thought he was going to win. Then he didnt...and I was happy for about 5 seconds then my short attention span steered me elsewhere Tongue
RJ
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »

Thought this was an interesting topic and I'd throw my .02 in:

First, I remember hearing from several sources that Bush would win the popular vote and Gore would win the electoral vote, throwing the results into potential chaos. Hmm...

I thought to myself it wouldn't be even that close. I thought Bush would win easily. I voted for Ralph because I thought Gore's campaign was a real turnoff, but I still was pulling for Gore. Initially, the media put Pennsylvania into Gore's column then pulled it out the same way they did Florida. PA turned out to be an easy win for Gore. Hmm...

I distinctly remember the media also pointing out Gore took New Mexico and that every winning candidate since 1920 had taken that state. It appeared that New Mexico was the bell weather state at that time. Hmm...

Lot of Hmm's from that one, and I didn't even get into that Supreme Court decision or the Susan Harris thing.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2008, 08:49:39 PM »

hard to believe that you could be a bigger hack than you are now.

LOL.  You already said that.

go85bucks10
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -1.04

« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:02 AM »

I knew Bush would win, but didnt expect Gore to win the popular vote, especially by 600,000 votes.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2008, 02:25:50 AM »

I figured Bush would win.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2008, 06:58:28 PM »

I expected a Bush win.
bhouston79
Rookie

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2009, 11:23:26 AM »

It was my Senior year of college, and although I hadn't followed the individual state polls very closely, I had followed the national numbers.  I knew that all of the polls showed that the race was virtually a dead heat, but I had no idea why.  After all, Bill Clinton had won the previous two elections in landslide fashion, and his approval rating was hovering around 60%.  I always believed that the polls were probably wrong, and that on election night Gore would win fairly easily.

On election night, I remember the commentators discussing the fact that in their estimation the three critical states to watch were Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Florida.  By about 9:00 p.m. all three of those states had been called for Gore, and I also remember seeing early returns from Tennessee showing Gore ahead (most likely these were returns from Middle and West Tennessee).  At this point in the night it seemed like my belief that Gore would wind up winning the election comfortably was proving to be accurate.  Then shortly thereafter, Tennessee was called for Bush; Florida was retracted for Gore; and West Virginia was called for Bush.  All three of these calls were extremely disturbing and made me start to worry.  After all, Tennessee was Gore's home state; Clinton had carried it twice and Gore had won elections as a Senator here rather easily.  The Florida retraction was very concerning for obvious reasons.  And the West Virginia call came as a total shock to me because I had believed that West Virginia was a democratic stronghold.  After all, it was one of only ten states that voted for Dukakis in 1988.  It was at this point that I realized that it was going to be an extremely long night.  And of course the rest is history.
RosettaStoned
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -5.91

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2009, 12:32:24 PM »

Gore. I made my own little map a few days before the Election that was the same as the actual map, except it had Gore winning New Hampshire, Ohio and Florida.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2009, 01:11:57 PM »

ehhh...pretty much. I just knew that people liked him because he was "such a nice guy". I was 15 at the time. So....
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2009, 09:14:30 AM »

Nush. Thought FL was safe Gore though, I thought MN, WI, and OR and IA would've went Bush
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2009, 01:02:25 PM »

Nush. Thought FL was safe Gore though, I thought MN, WI, and OR and IA would've went Bush

You must have been a very politically astute two year old.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2009, 02:43:40 AM »

Bush. He promised a tax cut (although taxes weren't that bad in 2000) and a humbler foreign policy compared to the "bomb here, bomb there" policy of Clinton. People usually like the guy who campaigns on a tax cut and peace. That isn't to say he follow thru on both though......
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2009, 03:29:15 AM »

Bush.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2009, 09:00:01 PM »

Bush. He promised a tax cut (although taxes weren't that bad in 2000) and a humbler foreign policy compared to the "bomb here, bomb there" policy of Clinton. People usually like the guy who campaigns on a tax cut and peace. That isn't to say he follow thru on both though......

Boohoo
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2009, 09:13:52 PM »

Had the election been held a week earlier, Bush would have won comfortably. That was probably the general consensus on the news a few days before the election which I would have seen and I didn't follow the events right before the election day so I didn't learn of the DUI flap untill years later. Also I was only 9 and I was upset that NY, where I was living at the Time, and PA where I moved from 2 years prior and would move back to one year later, had both gone to Gore. I didn't learn untill years later why that occured.
ej2mm15
electoraljew2
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2009, 08:33:03 AM »

Unfortunately I was 4 at the time Sad
rebeltarian
rebel_libertarian

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2009, 03:20:49 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2009, 03:34:58 PM by rebel_libertarian »

I was not sure at all!  I was a Bush supporter because he ran on an old-school, conservative isolationist "humble foreign policy" (my, how the times have changed).  Gore's "no comment" on placing the military under UN control was the deal-breaker for me.  I thought Gore had it in the bag after he cruised through the northeast and CNN called Florida for him.  Then Bush grabbed Ohio and Tennessee and Florida got thrown back into the unknown.  I remember watching one southern state after another light up red and I knew Bush had a shot.  Haha, pity for Gore that he couldn't hold any of the Clinton border-states in the upper south; give him just one of them and he would have walked away regardless of the FL dispute.  Poor bastard should've kept his mouth shut about guns and those meat-eating, union douchebags in WV, KY and TN wouldn't have pulled the lever for Bush.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies