Going into Election Night 2000, who did you expect to win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:47:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Going into Election Night 2000, who did you expect to win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Going into Election Night 2000, who did you expect to win?  (Read 35831 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:01 AM »

I was 12 years old at the time, and kept track through the campaign. I held out that Bush was going to win in the end.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 03:39:57 PM »

I was 12 years old at the time, and kept track through the campaign. I held out that Bush was going to win in the end.

I wasn't really into politics much back then. I paid more attention to the Carnahan-Ashcroft fiasco. However, I did except Bush to win in 2004, and I would  have voted for him also. I do not like Northeastern Liberals. West Coast liberals are farrrr better.

I remember, on November 7, 2000 I was watching NBC News Special Election Coverage, and grabbed my dry erase board as Tim Russert had, and my parents were with my sister next door at a school funtion. (We lived literally a minute away from our school) My father walked in and I said, "Gore won Florida" which made my father nervous. I remember to this day saying, "Don't worry, it's just Florida."

The school election wasn't as close, with Bush winning narrowly.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 04:57:17 PM »

I thought Bush would win but believe me I didn't know why.  I remember being upset that he lost FL and going to bed rather early (the last election that have ever gone to bed before about 2 or 3), and then waking up and going to downstairs to see my mom who told me Bush had won.  My dad then came down and said he heard on the radio that Gore took back his concession.  I really think I would be not be interested in politics today if it were not for that election.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:42:33 PM »

I thought Bush would win but believe me I didn't know why.

Were you even entirely aware of what was going on?  You would have been nine years old.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2007, 08:18:06 PM by jfern »

After Bush's DWI was released, contradicting his earlier statements, voters seemed to finally be coming to their senses. I knew it would come down to Florida. Of course the so called media were complete idiots when it came to calling Florida. For half an hour election night, it was painfully obvious that it was too close to call, even though it had been called for Bush. I lost all respect for the joke media right then and there. Of course their sh**tty coverage of the recount cemented my feelings.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 10:28:22 PM »

At the time I was a Republican and expected Gore to win because it seemed like whoever I wanted to win would lose like in 1992 and 1996.  I remember being thrilled that Bush actually won, but now Im sure not.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 10:32:03 PM »

I don't know.  Nader maybe.  I saw my mom vote for him and everything!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 11:37:23 PM »

In 2000, I expected Bush to win before the returns started coming in.  After they started coming in, with Pennsylvania, Florida, and Michigan all going to Gore, I was convinced that Bush was through.  Hrmn.

In 2004, after looking at the election polls in the campaign office, I was confident enough to tell a kindly young ticket splitter I met at an Ashland, MA polling station that her candidate, John Kerry, looked assured to be our next President.  Hrmn.

I was actually quite surprised that Bush won, but living up here in Massachusetts, I've since learned how badly Kerry sucks.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 02:04:49 AM »

Every night, on NBC Nightly News, they had the latest poll. They would have a picture of Bush and a picture of Gore, and one guy would go onto of the other depending on who was leading. I remember seeing a couple of those, and only once did Gore lead over Bush.

When the DUI came out, it was terrible. I remember thinking Bush was done. I think it seriously hurt him, otherwise he could have carried Florida easier, and maybe grabbed Oregon and Minnesota.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 03:00:21 AM »

New Mexico?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 03:46:24 AM »

I knew I forgot one.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 07:22:09 AM »

I was pretty sure that Gore would pull away... somehow... because Bush was just of so obviously subterranean quality... but I lost that belief during the final weeks as it just wasn't happening... and just went into election night hoping for the best. (Of course, that's also why, if I'd lived in a close state, I'd have done what so many people did and switched from Nader to Gore at the last minute.)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »

When the DUI came out, it was terrible. I remember thinking Bush was done. I think it seriously hurt him, otherwise he could have carried Florida easier, and maybe grabbed Oregon and Minnesota.

I agree, Bush had been leading solidly until the DUI story.  It's not the type of thing that's easily quantified by a pollster -- no one is going to seriously say that they're not voting for Bush because of a DUI -- but it did bring up questions about his leadership, judgement, and whether or not he was fit to serve.  It was more than enough damage to cost him New Mexico, Iowa, and Florida at least (depending on which way you think the votes should have been counted).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 03:25:10 PM »

It was certainly the talk of my school. We arrived for the school day the day after the election with Florida and a few other states in the balance. I genuinely believe Bush would win before this and on the day after. Still myself and most of my year who expressed an opinion backed Gore.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 06:09:21 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2007, 06:11:20 PM by Gov. PolNut »

I was in my final year of high school and had a standardised state-wide test on modern history that day.

I said to myself just before the results came through that "Gore has to win Pennsylvania, Michigan and Florida"... then one by one they came in.

My mind was still on the election - I walked in the door when I got home and Florida had changed colour from blue to yellow. And I actually shouted "what the f**k is going on!"

Frankly I had a hard time believing that Bush could have led at any time. I saw him as nothing more than an inarticulate frat boy riding the coat tails of neopitism. All I could think was the American people are going from a Rhodes Scholars to THAT?! I couldn't care less if Clinton was having gangbangs in the blue drawing room - surely America would not be that full of self-righteous prudes. To abandon Al Gore who was a decent tollerant man for someone for whom a word like subliminal was tongue-twister.

... whew.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »

Bush - I would've been 11 - wow, that was a long time ago!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 08:22:47 PM »

Were you even entirely aware of what was going on?  You would have been nine years old.

That's my point, I mean I knew who was running by I certainly was not a political enthusism back then
Yates

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.54

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 08:34:24 PM »

I believed that Bush would win in both 2000 and 2004.  In 2004, I projected that Bush would win the popular vote by 2-3%, and projected a 290-248 electoral vote for Bush, missing only New Hampshire.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 05:10:45 AM »

To abandon Al Gore who was a decent tollerant man

See, 50,000,000 Americans wholly rejected your premise.  Gore was personally very unpopular.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2007, 10:29:44 PM »

See, 50,000,000 Americans wholly rejected your premise.  Gore was personally very unpopular.

He still received 500,000 more votes than George W. Bush.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 09:17:55 PM »

To abandon Al Gore who was a decent tollerant man

I don't think he was unpopular... more people thought he was uninspiring and dull.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 01:29:18 PM »

I thought Gore would win, only because I thought he would win TN. I didn't expect him to win FL. I thought when TN and AR came in for Bush I knew Gore would lose because at that point the country was going the other way for Bush by then. But I thought if Bush would have win, eventhough I didn't like it, I thought he would of won PA not TN.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2007, 08:56:11 AM »

That's my point, I mean I knew who was running by I certainly was not a political enthusism back then

I think the one odd thing about the 2000 election (and the subsequent few years) is it has had the effect of getting numerous younger people interested in politics, at least more so than usual.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2007, 09:11:06 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2008, 11:21:28 PM by Jimmy the Flute »

I don't remember who I expected to win on Election night and thus become 43rd President of the United States, however I do know who I supported in the 2000 Presidential Election. I am ashamed to say this, but it was then Governor of Texas George Walker Bush. Come on I was seven at the time.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 10:32:14 PM »

I was young back then, but I remember my parents thinking Bush would win.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies