Which state is more Democratic: Minnesota or Virginia?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:12:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which state is more Democratic: Minnesota or Virginia?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which state is more Democratic: Minnesota or Virginia?
Minnesota

Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Which state is more Democratic: Minnesota or Virginia?  (Read 647 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2023, 02:38:31 PM »

The one that doesn't have a majority of statewide elected offices being Republicans and hasn't had a Republican elected to any statewide office in 16 years actually.
jamestroll
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 02:46:35 PM »

Virginia, but barely in the big picture. The two states will vote very similarly in 2024.

There were two close races in Minnesota in 2022 that would have probably flipped in a 2021 climate.

I have never been to Minnesota, but I feel like there is more of a progressive liberalism in the Twin Cities metro. While in Nova the feel is different. They are more apathetic on hot button social issues.  People saying that Nova is staunchly fiscally conservative are wrong though. They may not be enthused about hard progressive items such as medicare for all, but not huge opposition either. The people there strike me as the type of people who would be all for helping people they feel as oppressed, but they would not want their own situation changed dramatically either.  Virginia Democrats spent two years hammering through progressive policies and prior to that it was Nova legislators championing medicaid expansion.  It all ended up with not losing a single seat there during a GOP wave.

Twin Cities Democrats: more progressive

Nova Democrats: More apathetic really, but won't vote for a party that is anti-democracy and anti-intellectual in their view.

Do not let presidential 2020 margins fool you. The two states are QUITE close to each other politically in baseline really.

I gotta vote Virginia though.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2023, 02:14:43 PM »

Virginia is slightly more democratic but Minnesota is definitely more liberal. That’s how you should see the comparison
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2023, 03:53:58 PM »

These days it's definitely Virginia

Every single election which has occurred for the House of Representatives since 2018 has seen Virginia give a higher share of the vote to the Democratic Party's candidates than Minnesota, and Virginia also voted significantly more Democratic than Minnesota did both in the 2016 and 2020 U.S. presidential elections.
The House elections are oy because of Ilhan Omar's underperformance.

Virginia has a majority of statewide elected offices held by Republicans, and a solid R majority in one legislative chamber.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 04:58:06 AM »

These days it's definitely Virginia

Every single election which has occurred for the House of Representatives since 2018 has seen Virginia give a higher share of the vote to the Democratic Party's candidates than Minnesota, and Virginia also voted significantly more Democratic than Minnesota did both in the 2016 and 2020 U.S. presidential elections.
The House elections are oy because of Ilhan Omar's underperformance.

Virginia has a majority of statewide elected offices held by Republicans, and a solid R majority in one legislative chamber.
The only reason is the election was in 2021. I don't think Youngkin would win in 2022.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2023, 12:49:37 AM »

They're different shades of Democratic. Minnesota has remnants of the old school labor types combined with Minneapolis which is more of a mainstream brand of Dem, while Virginia has strong Democratic though not necessarily liberal voters in NoVa. Trumpism is a worse fit in Virginia than Minnesota but a non-Trump or at least a non abrasive GOP candidate would have an easier time winning Virginia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies