2008 Presidential election: Democrats favored
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Presidential election: Democrats favored
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 Presidential election: Democrats favored  (Read 1193 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »

As the race is developing, the Democrats should be favored to win provided they do not nominate someone who alienates a lot of voters.

Of the current candidates for the Democrats, Bill Richardson has the most positives and the fewest negatives.

On the Republican side, all the major candidates (McCain, Giuliani, Romney, Gingrich, Hagel, Huckabee, Brownback and Duncan) have at least one or more major negatives.

The strongest ticket the Democrats could nominate would, IMHO, be Richardson/Vilsack.

The strongest ticket the Republicans could nominate would be (again, IMHO) Huckabee/Pawlenty.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 12:01:52 PM »

The strongest ticket the Democrats could nominate would, IMHO, be Richardson/Vilsack.

The strongest ticket the Republicans could nominate would be (again, IMHO) Huckabee/Pawlenty.

I agree on both tickets.  I would definitely like a Richardson/Vilsack administration and should they get in a matchup with Huckabee/Pawlenty, the Democrats should be able to squeak this one out.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:05:54 PM »

Why is everyone so obsessed with Pawlenty? Can anyone of these fan boys name anything excellent he's done? What's so great about some governor who barely squeaked by by 1 point with less than 50%?
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:42:12 PM »

Rudy is the only GOP candidate that can stop the Hildabeast.  I find it amusing that many of my conservative friends worry so much about Rudy's lack of "purity" on social issues and so little about a Hillary presidency.  Hillary will be nominated.  Let's start dealing with that reality rather than some Bill Richardson fantasy nomination.  Aint happening.  Hillary wants it.  She's not about to let some flea like Richardson get in her way.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:53:41 PM »

Why is everyone so obsessed with Pawlenty? Can anyone of these fan boys name anything excellent he's done? What's so great about some governor who barely squeaked by by 1 point with less than 50%?

It doesn't matter what they were, or weren't elected with. The fact is people like his stance.  I personally like him.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »

Where's this data from, out of curiousity?

By the way, I agree the Democrats have the advantage. Unless they nominate Hillary. Which is quite likely ATM.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 02:00:02 PM »

Rudy is the only GOP candidate that can stop the Hildabeast.  I find it amusing that many of my conservative friends worry so much about Rudy's lack of "purity" on social issues and so little about a Hillary presidency.  Hillary will be nominated.  Let's start dealing with that reality rather than some Bill Richardson fantasy nomination.  Aint happening.  Hillary wants it.  She's not about to let some flea like Richardson get in her way.

First, to address the issue raised by Agcatter and Mr. Hunter.  I agree that if the Democrats nominate Hillary, they could well lose.  However, I don't think they will nominate Hillary.

Second, to address Agcatter's belief that it is merely a lack of "purity" on social issues that riles conservatives about Giuliani, let me offer several examples of where Rudy differs from the Republican voters on social issues.

On Abortion, Giuliani is pro-abortion (I Know he says 'pro choice' but he's not 'pro choice' on other issues).

On the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, Giuliani is worse than Bill Clinton was!!!

On 'Gay Marriage,' Giuliani is for 'gay marriage.'

Giuliani also favors amnesty for illegal aliens.  Yes, I know he calls his position otherwise, but it is the dictionary definition of amnesty.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 02:08:52 PM »

I'd vote for a Richardson/Vilsack ticket provided Giuliani doesn't get the nomination.

Richardson is my favorite Democrat running right now, so I really hope that he gets it.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 02:28:17 PM »

I'd rather have someone closer to my beliefs who can beat Hillary than someone that doesn't share most of my beliefs who can win. I strongly believe John McCain, Rudy Giuliani and Mike Huckabee are the three that can defeat Hillary Clinton. Romney, Gilmore, Hagel, Brownback? Probably not.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 02:58:35 PM »

It doesn't matter what they were, or weren't elected with.

It does if you want them to actually help the ticket. Tim "47 percent" Pawlenty isn't your key to cracking the upper Midwest.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »

It doesn't matter what they were, or weren't elected with.

It does if you want them to actually help the ticket. Tim "47 percent" Pawlenty isn't your key to cracking the upper Midwest.

Yes, people need to start realizing that. John Edwards didn't help Kerry out too much in North Carolina.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »

Carl, with Hillary (Obama or Edwards) count on a Supreme Court packed with Ruth Ginsbergs.  God help us.  You think Rudy's views on social issues are a problem?  Try having a remade Supreme Court making the ACLU agenda the law of the land.  Rudy says he will appoint strict constructionists to the Supreme Court.  That makes it a no brainer for me.  I think you know what the Hildabeast will do with regards to judges.

You are fooling yourself if you think Hillary won't get nominated.  The woman needs to be stopped.   Rudy is the only one who can do that.  All the rest of the dwarfs on the Republican side would be steamrolled by a combination of the Clinton machine and the Lefty MSM.   In 2008 you will see the most extreme media bias in the history of presidential campaigns.  That and Hillary will have more money than God.  Plus, Just the changes in demographics between 04 and 08 will make it impossible to elect a down the line conservative (EVEN IF THERE WAS ONE AVAILABLE) against our gal Hill.

I agree with you about illegal immigrqation, but name me one Republican who will do a damned thing about it.  McCain?  Brownback?  They're open borders people and of course we know any Dem nominee will do even less on the border (if that is possible - hell, they can't wait to register illegals to vote).
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 03:13:23 PM »

Carl, with Hillary (Obama or Edwards) count on a Supreme Court packed with Ruth Ginsbergs.  God help us.  You think Rudy's views on social issues are a problem?  Try having a remade Supreme Court making the ACLU agenda the law of the land.  Rudy says he will appoint strict constructionists to the Supreme Court.  That makes it a no brainer for me.  I think you know what the Hildabeast will do with regards to judges.

You are fooling yourself if you think Hillary won't get nominated.  The woman needs to be stopped.   Rudy is the only one who can do that.  All the rest of the dwarfs on the Republican side would be steamrolled by a combination of the Clinton machine and the Lefty MSM.   In 2008 you will see the most extreme media bias in the history of presidential campaigns.  That and Hillary will have more money than God.  Plus, Just the changes in demographics between 04 and 08 will make it impossible to elect a down the line conservative (EVEN IF THERE WAS ONE AVAILABLE) against our gal Hill.

I agree with you about illegal immigrqation, but name me one Republican who will do a damned thing about it.  McCain?  Brownback?  They're open borders people and of course we know any Dem nominee will do even less on the border (if that is possible - hell, they can't wait to register illegals to vote).

What he said.  Most Republicans seem to be deluded in thinking they have a good choice of candidates this time around, when in fact they only have one good candidate who can win: Giuliani.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »

And even Rudy's going to get his ass handed to him in every populist-leaning area, meaning he can only eke out a narrow victory at best.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »

Replace Hillary with Dean and Richardson with Kerry.

Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:48:08 PM »

And even Rudy's going to get his ass handed to him in every populist-leaning area, meaning he can only eke out a narrow victory at best.

A Rudy victory would probably look something like this:

Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 05:15:18 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2007, 05:17:05 PM by Michael Z »

Replace Hillary with Dean and Richardson with Kerry.

You can't really compare Hillary with Dean. Hillary has been a political "giant" for ages, whereas Dean was, to some degree, the frontrunner precisely because of his underdog status, since he was seen as a breath of fresh air.

That said, I don't think she will get the nomination because Democrats will unite behind a "Stop Hillary"-candidate, ie. one out of Edwards, Richardson and Obama.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies