A voting history of Scarsdale NY
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:01:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  A voting history of Scarsdale NY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: A voting history of Scarsdale NY  (Read 1518 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2023, 07:56:14 AM »
« edited: February 14, 2023, 08:09:00 AM by Roll Roons »

Edgemont is in theory part of the town of  Greenburgh  but is really part of the Scarsdale ecosystem.     Edgemont was a clone of core Scarsdale when I moved here in 2007 but there has been a massive surge of Chinese since then and the school numbers shows.  In Scarsdale and Northern Eastchester the Asians tend to be more Japanese expatriates.  During elementary school my son's classes were 1/4 Japanese and if you add in the Chinese (including my son) the Orientals often come close to forming a majority in some of the classes.  My son actually goes to Edgemont HS on the weekend for Chinese school.  Not a surprise that the weekend Chinese school in his region is in Edgemont HS given the surge of the Chinese in that region.
Out of curiosity - where do Indians/South Asians live in Westchester?

There are not many of them and they tend to be scattered around the county.  You can get a sense of the concentration and size by the scale of the Indian grocery stores vs the Chinese/Oriental grocery stores.  The former and few and small in scale the later many and large in scale.

South Asians in the greater NYC area tend to concentrate in NJ where you can see a large number of Indian grocery store and many very large scale.

Anecdotally, I know a few people from the Edgemont area. There were quite a few Indian kids at their high school, although not nearly as many as you'd find in Plainsboro or Edison.

IIRC, there was a fairly large Japanese population in Edgemont/Scarsdale at one point. Not sure if that's still the case.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2023, 06:24:00 PM »

Anecdotally, I know a few people from the Edgemont area. There were quite a few Indian kids at their high school, although not nearly as many as you'd find in Plainsboro or Edison.

IIRC, there was a fairly large Japanese population in Edgemont/Scarsdale at one point. Not sure if that's still the case.

There are a lot of Japanese in Edgemont/Scarsdale/North Eastchester.  All of them are expatriates.
This is the drill:  A lot of established Japanese firms send their up-and-coming future middle management men (yes, they are all men) to work in their NYC office for 4-5 years.   They are sent right around the time when their children are around 5-6.  The basic idea is that this is a benefit that they get to live the USA upper-middle-class lifestyle for 4-5 years while their children get to learn English.   

Of course, it is critical that they return to Japan before their children attend middle school.    If their children attend middle school in the USA they will be different enough from their Japanese counterparts that when they do go back to Japan it will be noticeable to their peers.  In Japanese schools, just like in society at large, being different is the kiss of death.   

There are a bunch of Japanese relo firms that bought out a bunch of houses in the  Edgemont/Scarsdale/North Eastchester area and they rent them out to firms who then give them to the expatriate Japanese family. I have several houses like this in my area and I see the 4-5 year turnover of Japanese families.  These Japanese families know they are guests and are very courteous and respectful of their neighbors.  There is nothing better than to have a Japanese neighbor.  My son become friends with some of their children and it was sad when they started to go back to Japan a couple of years ago. 

The Japanese men go off to work in NYC early in the morning and come home late (just like in Japan.)   The Japanese wives/mother, being Japanese, organize into groups.  In the schools, there is a separate Japanese PTA which is much more organized than the regular PTA which is already staffed by various tiger moms.  The Japanese tiger moms take it up to another level.

When my son was in elementary school there were a large number of Japanese students when you add up the various Chinese and Korean kids often formed 30% 40% or even 50% of the classes.  Once my son started to attend middle school (this year) the number of Japanese students collapsed for the reason I stated above.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies