U.S. to Boost Military Role in the Philippines at 4 new bases as Fears Over Taiwan Grow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 01:08:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  U.S. to Boost Military Role in the Philippines at 4 new bases as Fears Over Taiwan Grow
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. to Boost Military Role in the Philippines at 4 new bases as Fears Over Taiwan Grow  (Read 968 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:06:07 PM »

U.S. to Boost Military Role in the Philippines as Fears Over Taiwan Grow

It'll be the first time since 1992 that the US has had bases in that country; when the Filipino Senate under the pressure of large street protests decided to end the US presence there.

While I'm not necessarily opposed to this if it's truly what the Philippines want, I do hope any new agreement is up to international standards between two sovereign nations and not the quasi-colonialist situation we had going on with US bases before.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 01:38:09 AM »

Based.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 02:55:06 AM »

The Military Industrial Complex is laughing their ass off right now.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 01:14:44 PM »

They have Putin to thank for their present good fortune above all.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 07:27:44 PM »

I know I have a reputation as a pessimist here, but I didn't actually think China would invade Taiwan. It seems I may have been naïve.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 08:40:58 PM »

My impression from interacting with Philippine immigrants is that they are culturally closer to Americans than anyone other than Mexicans and other members of the Anglosphere, so we need to keep them within our sphere of influence.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 03:51:41 AM »
« Edited: February 03, 2023, 08:04:43 PM by Meclazine »

U.S. Forces on the prowl.

Taiwan Escalation 1 Month Ago

https://youtu.be/kgRKaQVa5O4

Taiwan Escalation Today

https://youtu.be/oz6PeeLYh1k

The difference between China and Russia is China cannot afford economic sanctions. The USA holds the upper hand here after President Rodrigo Duterte was looking towards China for financial and military assistance in the region.

The new President has surprisingly turned the relationship with the USA back on, and this will have a major effect, not only with Taiwan, but the South China Sea more generally.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2023, 10:20:50 AM »

My impression from interacting with Philippine immigrants is that they are culturally closer to Americans than anyone other than Mexicans and other members of the Anglosphere, so we need to keep them within our sphere of influence.
I remember seeing polling saying that around 80% of Filipinos have positive views of the United States.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 12:44:35 AM »

Filipinos in general (not just the diaspora) are also quite fond of the Korean wave. This may be connected to both countries’ long-standing geopolitical ties with the US.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2023, 09:12:10 PM »

That's kind of surprising, since we didn't treat them very well when they were our colony.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2023, 09:35:47 PM »

That's kind of surprising, since we didn't treat them very well when they were our colony.

I mean we bombed and brutalized Vietnam for decades and within living memory and >80% have a positive view of us.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2023, 12:23:29 AM »

There are some good reasons to have a positive view of the US if the PRC is your neighbor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies