Reproductive Rights Bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:11:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Reproductive Rights Bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Reproductive Rights Bill  (Read 4201 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:43:40 AM »

Reproductive Rights Bill

Section 1: Findings
1. F.L. 12-10, Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act, contains provisions that:
a.) Criminalize safe pregnancy termination procedures performed under most circumstances in the second trimester;
b.) Intrude on the constraints of a civil union contract entered into by a woman who is pregnant;
c.) Mandate the invasion of medical privacy for women based solely on their marital status;
d.) Discriminate against women on the basis of age in determining the ease with which a woman may obtain an abortion.

Section 2: Repealed Legislation
1. The Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act is repealed.

Sponsor: The President pro tempore
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:35:38 AM »

What rules or statutes, if any, would apply to the federal territories, with regard to abortion, should this legislation be repealed?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:03:31 PM »

What rules or statutes, if any, would apply to the federal territories, with regard to abortion, should this legislation be repealed?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 10:07:06 PM »

Obviously, in the absence of this legislation, the rules imposed by the territorial governments themselves would apply.  In the real world, I would support leaving that decision to the territories to decide, but we have no territorial governments and thus if anyone is to set policy for them it must be the Senate.  While the limits could use tweaking, the ones that the Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act sets are not unreasonable in my opinion, therefore I shall vote against repeal.  However, measures to modify them could obtain my support.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:40:50 AM »

This question was not considered when the legislation in question was ever put in place, so the brief answer is that no one knows.

However, measures to modify them could obtain my support.

I would at the very least seek to remove the criminalization of pregnancy in the second trimester as well as parental and spousal consent provisions.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 12:50:18 PM »

This question was not considered when the legislation in question was ever put in place, so the brief answer is that no one knows.

Thanks.

I don't think I could vote to pass an act which could allow effectively unrestriced abortion access. I feel that once a fetus has reached the stage whereby it would probably be capable of surviving independently outside the womb, then abortion is a violation of the right to life. To my knowledge (which certainly stands open to correction, as I certainly don't hold myself out to be a medical expert), this stage is usually reached around the 22 week mark. Beyond this, my position on whether or not abortion should be allowed is much less steadfast (except to say that I have no qualms whatsoever with such things as the 'morning after pill').

I suppose I haven't yet come to a decision personally on the morality of those cases which fall in between and what should or should not be allowed. Thus, within the redlines of the first days of the pregnancy and the period outlined above regarding the potential for independent survival, I would be willing to consider most suggestions. However, it seems clear that this bill, in its current form, would freely allow late-term abortions and so I shall probably be voting against it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 12:59:56 AM »

In the spirit of compromise, I introduce an amendment to strike the text of the bill and replace it with:

1. This law shall only apply in federal territories.
2. It shall be against the law to induce the termination of a pregnancy 22 weeks or later after the implantation of the embryo into the woman's womb, unless continuing the pregnancy presents a severe threat to the life of the mother and/or fetus.
3. Doctors in violation of clause 2 will be liable of up to a $10,000 fine or one year in jail.
4. The Abortion Restriction in Federal Territories Act is repealed.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »

That amendment makes this at least palatable to my tastes since I was leery of any bill that completely got rid of any abortion regulations as per the original and had many of the concerns as the honorable Senator Jas.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 01:19:13 AM »

We will vote on this amendment to replace the text of the bill with:
2. It shall be against the law to induce the termination of a pregnancy 22 weeks or later after the implantation of the embryo into the woman's womb, unless continuing the pregnancy presents a severe threat to the life of the mother and/or fetus.
3. Doctors in violation of clause 2 will be liable of up to a $10,000 fine or one year in jail.

---

Aye
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 08:49:49 AM »

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 11:07:53 AM »

Nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 12:15:11 PM »

Aye
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:45:44 PM »

Aye
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 01:34:30 PM »

Thanks.

I don't think I could vote to pass an act which could allow effectively unrestriced abortion access. I feel that once a fetus has reached the stage whereby it would probably be capable of surviving independently outside the womb, then abortion is a violation of the right to life. To my knowledge (which certainly stands open to correction, as I certainly don't hold myself out to be a medical expert), this stage is usually reached around the 22 week mark. Beyond this, my position on whether or not abortion should be allowed is much less steadfast (except to say that I have no qualms whatsoever with such things as the 'morning after pill').

I suppose I haven't yet come to a decision personally on the morality of those cases which fall in between and what should or should not be allowed. Thus, within the redlines of the first days of the pregnancy and the period outlined above regarding the potential for independent survival, I would be willing to consider most suggestions. However, it seems clear that this bill, in its current form, would freely allow late-term abortions and so I shall probably be voting against it.

It's nice to see that my regional senator represents my view perfectly on at least one issue. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 10:11:42 PM »

Aye
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 10:17:44 PM »

Nay.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 02:03:15 AM »

nay
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 12:31:14 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2007, 12:40:44 PM by Jas »

It's nice to see that my regional senator represents my view perfectly on at least one issue. Smiley

...after only 8 months in the Senate. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »

The amendment passes.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 03:30:39 PM »
« Edited: February 27, 2007, 03:33:32 PM by Ebowed »

We are now voting on final passage.

Reproductive Rights Bill

Aye
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2007, 03:33:06 PM »

...after only 8 months in the Senate. Smiley

Well, I didn't check any votes till just now. Wink
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2007, 07:24:11 PM »

Nay
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2007, 07:46:02 PM »

Aye
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2007, 05:56:19 PM »

nay
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2007, 08:52:47 AM »

I have given strong consideration to this but cannot come to a definitive conclusion on wheter or not this bill is better or worse than F.L.12-10. I've explained my position on this issue already. As yet I haven't come to a conclusion on the relative moral/ethical position of this compared to the standing law.

Therefore, I shall abstain.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies