LGC 11.52 — Major-Focused University Act — PASSED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:17:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  LGC 11.52 — Major-Focused University Act — PASSED
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LGC 11.52 — Major-Focused University Act — PASSED  (Read 443 times)
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2023, 05:42:56 PM »
« edited: February 08, 2023, 04:57:41 PM by LGC Speaker ZMUN M441 »

THE MAJOR-FOCUSED UNIVERSITY ACT

Section I — Title

This resolution may be cited as the Major-Focused University Act.

Section II — Major-Focused Universities

1. All public universities in Lincoln shall abolish 'general education' requirements, and replace them with a set of required classes for each major; these required classes are to be relevant to the major in question.

2. Universities will be given three months to fully abide by this act; if they do not abide by this reform within 90 days of this act's passing, they shall have their funding cut to 50% until they do so.

3. This act shall take effect immediately.

Occupying: Slot 1 of 10
Sponsor: ZMUN M441
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 05:55:10 PM »

This bill abolishes 'general education' requirements at Lincoln's public universities. These requirements — which mandate that students take classes in a broad array of topics — essentially turn a student's first two years at university into 13th and 14th grades, teaching them the same 'general' topics they already learned in high school, even if they aren't relevant to their major or their planned career. There is no reason that a Chemical Engineering major needs to take English classes, or that a History major needs to take advanced mathematics.

It also replaces these 'general education' requirements with new sets of required classes — a selection of substantially relevant classes for each major.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 03:05:23 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2023, 03:10:12 AM by Senator Laki »

Good act. But there are a few issues:

1. what is a general education requirement. Is that a subjective term or interpretation. Is maths general education if you study as a physician or geologist?

2. Three months to adapt / fully abide is a very small time. Such changes in reality take far longer to implement, because one needs to find the teachers, needs to re-arrange all classes and directions, change the agenda, adjust lessons etc. It's not just one quick change, it takes far more preparation. For example all the lessons that you deem more relevant need to be prepared as well. You can't prepare that in 3 weeks. Or if you move pupils in to existing lessons that you deem more relevant, there simply might not be an available teacher or room for that class to host way more students than it already does. You are looking at creating an organizational nightmare which in turn will affect the quality of education and the classes.

If you don't think maths is general education if you study as a physician, i've taken a look at classes in Belgium, and what you propose here is already implemented. I remember being surprised looking at classes given in USA because indeed as you say/claim there are like classes in university that in Europe would be given in college already.

If you want to make these changes, i think you'll need to reform college and level college up as well, and now might not be the good time to do that, given due to lockdowns many pupils have build up a backlog relative to pupils who finished college before the pandemic started.

I think the changes you want to make are good, but be aware of how and when you want to implement it, because you might damage more than what you intend to fix.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 03:50:58 PM »

Good act. But there are a few issues:

1. what is a general education requirement. Is that a subjective term or interpretation. Is maths general education if you study as a physician or geologist?

2. Three months to adapt / fully abide is a very small time. Such changes in reality take far longer to implement, because one needs to find the teachers, needs to re-arrange all classes and directions, change the agenda, adjust lessons etc. It's not just one quick change, it takes far more preparation. For example all the lessons that you deem more relevant need to be prepared as well. You can't prepare that in 3 weeks. Or if you move pupils in to existing lessons that you deem more relevant, there simply might not be an available teacher or room for that class to host way more students than it already does. You are looking at creating an organizational nightmare which in turn will affect the quality of education and the classes.

If you don't think maths is general education if you study as a physician, i've taken a look at classes in Belgium, and what you propose here is already implemented. I remember being surprised looking at classes given in USA because indeed as you say/claim there are like classes in university that in Europe would be given in college already.

If you want to make these changes, i think you'll need to reform college and level college up as well, and now might not be the good time to do that, given due to lockdowns many pupils have build up a backlog relative to pupils who finished college before the pandemic started.

I think the changes you want to make are good, but be aware of how and when you want to implement it, because you might damage more than what you intend to fix.

1. In Atlasia, 'general education requirements' are fairly objective — currently, students are required to take classes in selected topics, regardless of their major, and cannot graduate without doing so. This bill abolishes those requirements.

2. I am willing to strike the time limit if there is demand for it. The only reason I included it was to ensure that universities abide by this legislation.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 02:58:05 PM »

Motioning for a final vote.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 12:56:19 AM »

Gen-Eds are unnecessary extra work for those with majors, only placing more stress (and financial burden) upon them. I agree with this actZ
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 01:13:57 AM »

University is a time for specialization and "gen ed" should have been taught in K-12 along with enough skills for people to actually survive without higher education. Strongly support the sentiment here.
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2023, 06:19:43 PM »

A final vote on this bill has been initiated.

Aye
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2023, 10:45:56 PM »

Aye
nerd73
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -7.83

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 04:05:40 PM »

Aye
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 08:11:47 PM »

Abstain
ZMUN M441
Adowemiti
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 08:48:06 PM »

LGC 11.52 passes 3-0, with one Deputy abstaining and another not voting.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 04:36:53 PM »

X tack50

One of the bills I am most happy to sign
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: